Planning application to secure a permanent full planning permission for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

A full planning application in relation to the festival has been submitted, which will replace the many Temporary Planning Permissions which run out after the 2024 festival.

The permission seeks not just the festival itself but the Pilton Party, Worthy View (for fallow years), plus the Pyramid Stage and Recycling Centre.

Lots of nice maps and drawings to look at 🤓

PlanningSphere are instructed by Glastonbury Festival Events Ltd (GFEL) to submit a full planning application to secure a permanent full planning permission for the annual Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts and associated events. The application also seeks to regularise on a permanent basis the Pyramid Structure and Recycling Building which currently benefit from temporary planning permission

The planning history relating to the festival use is complex. The extant temporary planning permission for the festival will expire upon conclusion of the 2024 festival (LPA Ref: 2016/2238/VRC). The extant permission is itself a renewal of a temporary permission that was originally granted in 2010 (LPA Ref: 2009/0127). Mendip District Council contacted GFEL in 2021 to advise that a further temporary permission would not be granted because successive renewals of planning permissions are contrary to best planning practice. Mendip DC invited GFEL to submit a comprehensive and flexible full planning application to permanently regularise the long established and internationally renowned annual festival providing more certainty and additional flexibility to cater for unforeseen events such as the recent covid pandemic.

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RN5B5SKPKE700

Planning Ref: 2022/2458/FUL

Edited by Dukeicon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Link won't open.

Does it say we want to cover the whole site in a dome and turn it into a new centre parks with music?

Strange, works for me.

Planning application number is 2022/2458/FUL if you want to search for it on the Mendip site.

It's basically just putting all the Temp planning permissions they have now, which run out after the 2024 festival, into a permanent planning permission. No dome!

1 minute ago, Dukeicon said:

Strange, works for me.

Planning application number is 2022/2458/FUL if you want to search for it on the Mendip site.

It's basically just putting all the Temp planning permissions they have now, which run out after the 2024 festival, into a permanent planning permission. No dome!

Cheers.

I've just noticed Ghagstock on your festival list. Reckon you live not too far from me.

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

First thought on the location plan- the actual site they use is WAY bigger than I'd actually thought. 

Who lives at winding lake farm and are they hold outs from taking part in the festival?

And what's that private campsite in the middle of the campervan fields?

2022_2458_FUL-SITE_LOCATION_PLAN-1279174.pdfUnavailable

posh camping 

https://www.windinglake.co.uk

• Like 1

Confirmation of numbers available in the coach sales. I think we'd speculated about 20k, but weren't sure? 

24,000, with a much more even split over Wednesday and Thursday than I'd thought there would be.

Screenshot_20230111-173420.png

Edit: confirmed 5,000 Sunday tickets as well. I think we knew this. 

Edited by Leyrulion

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

Thanks Duke icon, but won't they still need a licence for the numbers on site each year. 

They appear to have a Permanent Premises License since 2018. This planning supplements this.

a full planning application has been prepared to regularise land use planning position and to align with GFEL’s permanent Premises Licence which was granted in 2018 (MDC Licensing Service Ref: PRL767).

From: Planning Design and Access Statement on the application

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Confirmation of numbers available in the coach sales. I think we'd speculated about 20k, but weren't sure? 

24,000, with a much more even split over Wednesday and Thursday than I'd thought there would be.

Screenshot_20230111-173420.png

Edit: confirmed 5,000 Sunday tickets as well. I think we knew this. 

2022 was the first year of the increased 210,000 capacity.

1957238015_Screenshot2023-01-11at17_47_08.png.b9670da2ac79b51fce69c536c47a92b3.png