2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

5 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I feel the most likely options for ??? are:

boygenius: Def too big to go on the regular line up (does that make them more or less likely?), touring. Got history with the festival. Lucy was harping on about how much she loves it.

Gabriels: Dropped out last year, touring, about the right size.

Fat White Family: Announced three random dates in Sept, about the right kinda size and style.

I think so. Will be slightly underwhelmed if it’s FWF though. Are we discounting Jockstrap as an option?

38 minutes ago, Hurray4theWhiffWhaff said:

I think so. Will be slightly underwhelmed if it’s FWF though. Are we discounting Jockstrap as an option?

As with Gabriels and Fat Whites, no reason why they wouldn't have been announced by now.

And it is absolutely 100% not going to be the Magnetic Fields. Last year's Garden headliner are not going to fly over for one date.

8 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

As with Gabriels and Fat Whites, no reason why they wouldn't have been announced by now.

And it is absolutely 100% not going to be the Magnetic Fields. Last year's Garden headliner are not going to fly over for one date.

Gabriels played a ton of other festivals this and could have had contractual obligations re announcing.

Fat Whites hadn’t announced their shows when the day splits came out.

20 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Does there need to be a reason other than to drive interest/excitement? 

15 hours ago, Thruxton Appleby said:

Another hopeful guess, based on absolutely no evidence or logic:

Siouxsie

She's playing a festival in Lisbon that day.

On 7/29/2023 at 8:30 AM, Justiceforcedave said:

Gabriels played a ton of other festivals this and could have had contractual obligations re announcing.

Fat Whites hadn’t announced their shows when the day splits came out.

I did consider there's a possibility they've been told to wait until the Friday of Forwards is sold out before announcing Gabriels. as that makes most sense of all the possible options given last year's pullout, and/but I notice the two festivals don't share a single act and I wonder if that could be deliberate.

As for Fat Whites, why wasn't it then announced along with the dates?

14 hours ago, goldengirl said:

Does there need to be a reason other than to drive interest/excitement? 

What I've been trying to get at is there must be some reason why EOTR put out a graphic that revealed there's an unannounced main stage sub-headliner, because if it was someone that could have driven the last sales quicker and there's no specific reason to keep it secret - and even if you believe they didn't have anyone booked for that slot it's nearly two months after the day splits confirmation so they should have done by now - why do so?

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

As for Fat Whites, why wasn't it then announced along with the dates?

Could be as simple as keeping the '???' creates some excitement? Already sold out by the time the tour was announced.

2 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

What I've been trying to get at is there must be some reason why EOTR put out a graphic that revealed there's an unannounced main stage sub-headliner, because if it was someone that could have driven the last sales quicker and there's no specific reason to keep it secret - and even if you believe they didn't have anyone booked for that slot it's nearly two months after the day splits confirmation so they should have done by now - why do so?

It's exciting to think that it's because it's someone too big to play the slot that was booked after the headliners. Probably just contractual reasons though! If you're playing at X, Y & Z festival, you can't be announced for EOTR. But if the slot is unannounced it doesn't matter. EOTR gets a band they couldn't normally have and band gets to play a show without breaking agreements with other festivals. Win win.

That's my guess.

38 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Remember that Electric Picnic is 70,000 capacity. Ordinarily anyone sub-headlining it would be far, far, out of EOTR's reach.

Why haven't they announced their day splits yet?

Because they're a shower of w*nkers who have gradually eroded what was once a fantastic festival. They don't give a monkey's about their punters. 

Edited by Stillill42

16 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Remember that Electric Picnic is 70,000 capacity. Ordinarily anyone sub-headlining it would be far, far, out of EOTR's reach.

Why haven't they announced their day splits yet?

Think that's fair, just seems such a coincidence to have a blurred out mystery band on the same weekend (like someone who hasn't reformed, or had a record out for a while, or something)!

Based on their lineup though it could be someone who isn't even a tiny bit EOTR style - so could be a red herring still.

22 minutes ago, jplewes said:

Think that's fair, just seems such a coincidence to have a blurred out mystery band on the same weekend (like someone who hasn't reformed, or had a record out for a while, or something)!

Based on their lineup though it could be someone who isn't even a tiny bit EOTR style - so could be a red herring still.

I wouldn't put it down to anything but coincidence, Electric Picnic aren't going to be booking a sub-headliner with sharing with a much smaller festival for a different demographic in mind. (Also, the blur looks nothing like Boygenius' logo)

The trouble with trying to work out the mystery is there's several strong fitting options (Gabriels, Walkmen, Wet Leg) but also solid reasons why it isn't them (Forwards, Green Man, Festival Republic contract), then you're into guesswork and then it could easily turn out to be someone none of us had considered because they're coming back or whatever.

56 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I wouldn't put it down to anything but coincidence, Electric Picnic aren't going to be booking a sub-headliner with sharing with a much smaller festival for a different demographic in mind. (Also, the blur looks nothing like Boygenius' logo)

Although I agree on the first point, I'm not so sure the demographic matters so much though. boygenius, like Phoebe, are huge with young people... but they're also popular with the Radio 6 crowd.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

The trouble with trying to work out the mystery is there's several strong fitting options (Gabriels, Walkmen, Wet Leg) but also solid reasons why it isn't them (Forwards, Green Man, Festival Republic contract), then you're into guesswork and then it could easily turn out to be someone none of us had considered because they're coming back or whatever.

Yeah fair points. I wasn't really thinking on Boy Genius anyway - just that it could be the same act across the two festivals based on the timing. Understand there are some reasons it might not be (the size being the main one - there are a bunch of acts across the festival that could play both, although the very top headliners nope).

Edited by jplewes

1 hour ago, jplewes said:

I would point out that Herring is already headlining on the Saturday, immediately after ???.

Right so I haven't been paying attention to the Gabriels conversation at all. They were down to play last year but pulled out, correct? And they're in Bristol the same weekend?  Ah surely they're shoe ins for the mystery spot. Who knows why it hasn't been announced yet but it completely makes sense, no? I'm only listening to them now for the first time and I love them, what a voice! I'd be delighted with that.