2024 Headliners

12 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Toss-up on Coldplay. Having loved 2016, would happily see them again, but not sure what they'd do to top that. Might catch the first few, then find something else.

There's my case in point. A headliner should grab you and hold you for 120 minutes. Repeat bookings always run the risk of either not topping a previous performance or not offering anything different.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

But is that enough these days? I think it's well-documented on here about Coldplay's prowess as a live act, never dialling it in, particularly on the farm. That can't be denied. But, in 2024, there's a strong argument to suggest that it's a relatively uninspired booking. Boring? No. Exciting? No. Safe? Yes. Cheaper than others? Probably.

That's if Coldplay are booked, of course. They probably are, and I believe the intel we've been given so far. I'd just love to see the festival throw a massive curveball this year, for all three headliners.

I think it is enough, given they remain one of the biggest live draws in modern music. At the end of the day, if you're got Coldplay on your bill, it's a win-win for the bookers.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There's my case in point. A headliner should grab you and hold you for 120 minutes. Repeat bookings always run the risk of either not topping a previous performance or not offering anything different.

On a personal note, I've said previously I wouldn't rebook a headliner inside a ten-year window. Even if you don't have a stadium-selling act every year, you're still going to sell out. 

So on that perspective, I completely agree. If I was booking Glastonbury, I wouldn't be having Coldplay back this year.

But from every other metric, it just makes sense, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, I guess that's a fair enough counter argument, you can't deny their popularity

But yes, totally concur on that point. I understand entirely why they've been booked, but I'd like to see someone else have a crack.

Arctic Monkeys last year worked for me, as a repeat booking. I didn't think they were great shakes on the box, but they'd had ten years away. Common sense to have 'em.

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

If I was booking Glastonbury, I wouldn't be having Coldplay back this year.

But from every other metric, it just makes sense, I guess.

Their likely booking may also help the festival to take more of a risk on newer, less established acts (Such as SZA)

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Their likely booking may also help the festival to take more of a risk on newer, less established acts (Such as SZA)

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

8 year gap since coldplay last played, it's a good while and a bigger gap than  most fests have between headliners. 

And that's exactly why they will book 'em, on both counts. Great points, and having Coldplay in your back pocket means you can have your theoretical risks.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

8 year gap since coldplay last played, it's a good while and a bigger gap than  most fests have between headliners. 

True. It will have only been 5 festivals ago, though.

Apologies, this argument's been done to death now. I think we're better off locking this thread until the poster lands! 😀

Not everyone is as obsessed with repeat bookings being boring or this tired argument of people not being able to top a performance they gave x amount of years ago.

Just because it was a cherished performance by you doesn't mean they shouldn't be booked again to be enjoyed by the many people who weren't there / never saw it / want to see it again.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

But only 4 festivals. A pathetic booking. 

What percentage of people who went to Glastonbury 2016 will be going in 2024?

Obviously we can only guess. But my guess would be substantially less than 50%. And probably much closer to 20%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Obviously we can only guess. But my guess would be substantially less than 50%. And probably much closer to 20%.

You reckon? Its only 8 years. Granted anyone under 24 or 25 wouldnt have been there in 2016. What % of people at the festival are aged 18-25? Ive no idea.

Its still a shite booking. If true. Which I doubt.

28 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Is this year the record for the most amount of bullshit posted about whos headlining?

Madge 100%, then no. Stevie 100%, then no. now SZA. 

Nope. It was 2015. First Foo Fighters, then that turned out not to be true (Dave Grohl broke his leg). Then Prince and that turned out not to be true (he pulled out). Then Fleetwood Mac turned out to be untrue as well (they pulled out due to the payday).

8 minutes ago, incident said:

It will be nowhere near 50%. 8 years is a long time

1 minute ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Nope. It was 2015. First Foo Fighters, then that turned out not to be true (Dave Grohl broke his leg). Then Prince and that turned out not to be true (he pulled out). Then Fleetwood Mac turned out to be untrue as well (they pulled out due to the payday).

Yeah but they were actually booked/in talks. I dont see any evidence of that this year. 

11 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Not everyone is as obsessed with repeat bookings being boring or this tired argument of people not being able to top a performance they gave x amount of years ago.

Just because it was a cherished performance by you doesn't mean they shouldn't be booked again to be enjoyed by the many people who weren't there / never saw it / want to see it again.

I think it’s a bit entitled TBH. Some of us on here are lucky enough to get to go repeatedly. That won’t be the case for thousands and thousands of others. They won’t be rolling their eyes because ‘oh no it’s Arctic Monkeys again’ or ‘Coldplay again’. This might be a once in a lifetime chance for them to see a huge act they can’t get/afford tickets for.

Coldplay for example are just about the most reliable stadium fillers in the world. Having them at the top of the bill as their only U.K. show of the year, is absolutely massive to the average punter. You wouldn’t want them or anyone else booked every other year but it’s been 8 years, that’s not unreasonable (and number of festivals doesn’t matter, Covid broke that calculation). I’d say the same if they’d lined up the Foos or Sheeran or Adele.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, The Nal said:

Yeah but they were actually booked/in talks. I dont see any evidence of that this year. 

The leak of BST dates we got several weeks back has been on the money so far, which speaks to its accuracy.  The only ñame missing is Stevie. The fact he's not been announced yet suggests there's some truth to the suggestion he was pencilled in but it's not worked out for whatever reason. And that therefore is also true of him at Glastonbury, which always came as him doing both BST and the G.