2024 Headliners

6 minutes ago, M42 said:

I personally reckon there is a heritage name billed top line if they have Coldplay, Dua, SZA headlining. Pulp or Stevie Nicks is my guess.

if I was a betting man for pyramid heads/subs

Coldplay / LCD Soundsystem

Dua Lipa / (Pulp or Stevie Nicks)

SZA / Burna Boy

Doja Cat, Kasabian, The National as other headliners. Although wouldn’t be surprised if we get Catfish instead of Kasabian.

I really don't get the relevance of top line billing other than from the perspective of the the artists themselves or their teams.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cos if your demographic only ever ages upwards then you eventually die.

Saying that the average of a Glastonbury goer is 38 doesn't suggest an ageing demographic 

Edited by gherkin8r

Just now, gherkin8r said:

Saying that the average of a Glastonbury goer is 48 doesn't suggest an ageing demographic 

To be fair, that means it's aged about 10 years in the last 3 pages.

for those of average age and above struggling to pronounce SZA this was posted on my watts app 🙂 .... I will turn average age the weekend before the festival

edit ah bollocks im 10 years older must keep up I now feel ancient 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's really not young for an event that needs to encourage the next generation of ticket buyers.

Of course it's not young. My point was that alone it doesn't suggest an ageing demographic Perhaps there is data to show a direction of travel in the average age, for example to show that the average age was 35 years old five years ago or 33 years old ten years ago. 

On your assertion that the event "need to encourage the next generation of tickets buyers" - is there evidence that they need more encouragement or are disinterested? I'm not claiming otherwise, I'm genuinely interested. 

Part of what makes Glastonbury special for me and different to a lot of festivals is the attendance of people of all ages through from babies to pensioners. So for me I don't see it as unfortunate that the average age is 38. 

Incidentally my fiancée is 38 and SZA is her favourite artist at this moment in time. 

Edited by gherkin8r

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's really not young for an event that needs to encourage the next generation of ticket buyers.

Though tbh - does anyone really trust these numbers?

There certainly are a lot of people in their 30s/40s, maybe into early 50s, at the Festival, but it feels like the numbers drop of dramatically when you get above that.

There's also a lot that are younger than that (even if you don't count kids being dragged along by their parents), so I suspect that "average 38" or whatever says more about engagement with whatever survey was done rather than being a true reflection.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Though tbh - does anyone really trust these numbers?

There certainly are a lot of people in their 30s/40s, maybe into early 50s, at the Festival, but it feels like the numbers drop of dramatically when you get above that.

There's also a lot that are younger than that (even if you don't count kids being dragged along by their parents), so I suspect that "average 38" or whatever says more about engagement with whatever survey was done rather than being a true reflection.

This is my feeling as well. Be interested to see how that number was arrived at. (Whether by surveys or based on registration data, whether it includes kids who come without tickets etc).

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Emily - be an all-time legend and book Dua, O-Rod and SZA as the top 3.

Standing ovation for Emily if she does that.

Reading the last few pages of this thread. I also think Lana should have headlined last year. She was not in a transitioning phase. She already was already headline level. Does not matter that shes has radio hit singles or not. She has another type of music. Putting Guns 'N' Roses as replacement for Rihanna was ridiculous.

Just now, gherkin8r said:

This is my feeling as well. Be interested to see how that number was arrived at. (Whether by surveys or based on registration data, whether it includes kids who come without tickets etc).

As far as I'm aware, GFL have never given out any information of substance based on registration data, so it's very unlikely to be that (Did we even give our birthdates on registration? I can't remember). So assume it has to be surveys of some description.

I really like SZA but I'd much rather see her in a smaller slot (either not the Pyramid or not headlining) where I'm less likely to be surrounded by people there by default who aren't into it. 

To be honest, think I feel this way about most artists I like! 

I too would probably rather have seen the Stones 2013 set in a small blues club...but what you gonna do? 

Seeing sh*t in the middle of a ginormocrowd in front of the Pyramid is also right at the peak of human experience. At that point you're in the smallest percentile of the luckiest people on the planet.

1 hour ago, M42 said:

Been a while since I’ve posted on here (new account don’t know where the old one is).

Just came to say SZA is a top headliner. It’s a push, but they won’t regret it in a few years.

Welcome back Matt!😁

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

Why is that unfortunate?

I'm saying it's unfortunate that, because the average age of the Glastonbury audience is 38, the festival wouldn't book SZA as a headliner.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

George Harrison avatar and sixties comedy screen-name does give off a 'Not interested in SZA' vibebtbf

Very true hahaha i can provide you with my listening history if need be

Think with Sza a lot of her music streaming numbers are inflated with Kill Bill going massively viral and her having features in popular catchy songs.

No doubting she’s big but other acts like Meg thee stalion only headlined the other and would Doja be headlining if she was in with a shout this year?

1 minute ago, Acid_Haze said:

I'm saying it's unfortunate that, because the average age of the Glastonbury audience is 38, the festival wouldn't book SZA as a headliner.

By the same token, surely they wouldn't book Billie Eilish? The demographic is probably just as young. Maybe even younger.