2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

It's too big though. Wouldn't be sad about a shrinkage.

That's a matter of opinion. For me the scale makes it unique.  As soon as you start to downsize it the first things to go will be the things that make it special and it'll turn into just a.n. other festival.

7 minutes ago, Superscally said:

It's too big though. Wouldn't be sad about a shrinkage.

Or you could go to a smaller festival? With smaller headliners? 

I don’t see Glastonbury changing their operation or booking approach any time soon.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's a matter of opinion. For me the scale makes it unique.  As soon as you start to downsize it the first things to go will be the things that make it special and it'll turn into just a.n. other festival.

Fair play. Opinions game innit. I'm sure the fest doesn't agree with mine!!

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Or you could go to a smaller festival? With smaller headliners? 

I don’t see Glastonbury changing their operation or booking approach any time soon.

I do...but I've also seen Glastonbury change signifcantly for the worse. They're nothing wrong with wanting it to return to what it was like around 2010 and telling me to go somewhere else isn't really helpful.

I'm the same...

I pulled the link from Boards.ie and someone said payment was taken for them. Could end up getting cancelled on them but I doubt it . Never seen a residents link like that before let alone work! 

I do...but I've also seen Glastonbury change signifcantly for the worse. They're nothing wrong with wanting it to return to what it was like around 2010 and telling me to go somewhere else isn't really helpful.

For me, it’s better than it was in 2010 and it does exactly what it’s supposed to very well. It’s the largest festival in the world with the biggest main stage acts possible, with a full range of smaller stages and sideshows. Willing it to be something different, when something different is available at lots of other festivals across the summer, is a bit unusual. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JORDO said:

I pulled the link from Boards.ie and someone said payment was taken for them. Could end up getting cancelled on them but I doubt it . Never seen a residents link like that before let alone work! 

Only issue is if you try and get cancelled then all others sold out...

Will be interested to see which guitar band ends up being the next in line to follow in the proud footsteps of Foals and Wolf Alice of people incorrectly saying they can see them headlining the Pyramid.

The Last Dinner Party?

1 minute ago, stuie said:

For me, it’s better than it was in 2010 and it does exactly what it’s supposed to very well. It’s the largest festival in the world with the biggest main stage acts possible, with a full range of smaller stages and sideshows. Willing it to be something different, when something different is available at lots of other festivals across the summer, is a bit unusual. 

A less rammed Glasto with less MEGASTRESS over tickets is not the same as other festivals. 

Edited by Superscally

Just now, Superscally said:

Worst crowd I ever got caught in was 2022. Not really a valid argument. 

More an observation than an argument.

I don't have the figures to hand but the actual uplift in ticket sales to the general public isn't much more either.

The increase seems to be in hospitality tickets and if you want to argue that they should be cut back then you'll hear no argument from me - but that's got nothing to do with the headline acts that are booked or how difficult it is for the average punter on ticket day.

38 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Wolf Alice will never headline a major festival like R&L or Glastonbury. 

I absolutely love them, but I think they'd struggle to headline most of the smaller ones as well - I don't think many people would know that many of their songs. Can't see them going down too well at the likes of Kendal for example. Latitude is a bit of an outlier anyway, and that was the first headline act in the country after the lockdowns were lifted so no way of knowing how it'd have gone down without that additional factor. 

I also though their crowd at the Pyramid in 2022 was a lot smaller than I expected. We walked into the front bit and got quite far forward a few minutes before they came on

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, JayDiesel said:

I genuinely think Wolf Alice could headline one day. Foals and Biffy are long gone, but Wolf Alice only have three albums, all great, and have gotten progressively bigger each time. They even have the 2024 essential of having a TikTok hit with DDTK. Probably hinges on the next album pushing them up to R+L headliner status though

If wolf Alice could Headline, Foals 100% can 

I don’t feel like the festival has changed all that much since 2010. There was more of a change between my first in 2003 and 2010.

As for the idea of a deliberate downgrading in the size and status of headliners they book, that just sends out such an arrogant signal. I think it would shift the unspoken dynamics between the organisers and the ticket buyers.  Theres a lot of hassle and a lot of cost and the unwritten promise is they will book the best festival they can. To start going ‘we’re turning away big acts to book less famous ones less of you will want to see but we still want you to cough up the same money’ would be suicide.