2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Depends how you define 'pull it off'. I'm sure their fans would love it, but it would be in front of the smallest crowd for a Pyramid headliner for many years.

You'd think so? I have no idea how big they are but it seems like they had their biggest tour to date last year, selling out bigger venues than they normally do.

But they'll probably headline Other Stage, which would be perfect for them. 

Timeline of The National being announced as Pyramid Headliners

Day 1 - Announcement 

Day 2 - Furore in the press and on social media

Day 3 - Leading headline on BBC news

Day 4 - Michael's knighthood revoked

Day 5 - Festival cancelled

Day 6 - Mortgage on Worthy Farm foreclosed by the bank, rendering the Eavis family homeless

Day 7 - Death in a ditch 

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Day 1 - Announcement 

Day 6 - Mortgage on Worthy Farm foreclosed by the bank, rendering the Eavis family homeless

Day 7 - Death in a ditch 

Worth it.

• Upvote 2

I know my avatar kind of shows some bias, but could Peter Gabriel get the call? He toured last year. Admittedly nothing in the calendar for 2024 yet. 

I'd love it if the National or Nick Cave got the gig though. Given that LDR won't be back (probably ever).

16 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

You'd think so? I have no idea how big they are but it seems like they had their biggest tour to date last year, selling out bigger venues than they normally do.

But they'll probably headline Other Stage, which would be perfect for them. 

That's the level they're at. When they played the Pyramid in 2017 it was to a significantly smaller crowd than the previous act (Katy Perry) and the act that followed (Foos)

Gonna be honest I think the bar on who can headline Glastonbury is set far to high.

It must be making the selection process impossible. 

I would not complain if it was lowered to allow US festival headliner size acts like LDR or The National for one of the 3 headliners.   They will certainly leave as a Glastonbury sized headliner. 

I'd say the same for Chemical Brothers, Pulp or Prodigy who have both headlined the festival before. They could easily entertain a Pyramid size crowd.

I mean F&TM are not a "headliner sized act" when they replaced Foos, everyone was OK the festival overall did not suffer as a result.

Have we the Glastonbury public just too entitled when it comes to headliners??? 

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Day 1 - Announcement 

Day 7 - Death in a ditch 

Day 8 - "2024 was the best Glastonbury ever"

3 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Gonna be honest I think the bar on who can headline Glastonbury is set far to high.

I would not complain if it was lowered to allow US festival headliner size acts like LDR or The National for one of the 3 headliners.   They will certainly leave as a Glastonbury sized headliner. 

I'd say the same for Chemical Brothers, Pulp or Prodigy who have both headlined the festival before. They could easily entertain a Pyramid size crowd.

I mean F&TM are not a "headliner sized act" when they replaced Foos, everyone was OK the festival overall did not suffer as a result.

I don't disagree with much of this - but think the issue for this year is that (if rumours are true), they already have one "first time" headliner in Dua Lipa.  That will attract a ton of comment about whether she is big enough etc (unjustified in my view - she is undoubtedly big enough).  But to then have a second "borderline" headliner is a risk - it would invite lots of comment on whether Glastonbury can still pull the world's biggest acts, blah blah blah.

10 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Exactly this. It’s a festival of contemporary music not a last big farewell to over the hill artists. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We know it's an American act.

I'm working on the assumption that Glastonbury (a) don't have a 3rd headliner, (b) are desperate for ideas, and (c) reading this thread for inspiration.

So to reiterate, Emily, thats: Nick Cave, Peter Gabriel or The National. Or Lana.

3 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

Exactly this. It’s a festival of contemporary music not a last big farewell to over the hill artists. 

Well it's a good job they book a mixture of old and new then.

Unless we're saying Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Stormzy were over the hill when booked.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Well it's a good job they book a mixture of old and new then.

Unless we're saying Billie Eilish, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Stormzy were over the hill when booked.

My man's inventing a time machine to go back to the year 2000 to kill David Bowie before he takes to the stage.