2024 Festival

Chad888

On 11/4/2023 at 9:56 AM, Andre91 said:

This is my current Top 10. Tbh I can’t see it changing too much but I expect the Dying Wish album that came out yesterday to crack it: 

1. 100 gecs - 10,000 gecs 

2. Paramore - This Is Why 

3. Avenged Sevenfold - Life Is But A Dream

4. Militarie Gun - Life Under The Gun

5. Sleep Token - Take Me Back To Eden

6. Joey Valence & Brae - Punk Tactics

7. Blink-182 - ONE MORE TIME… 

8. Pain of Truth - Not Through Blood

9. Frozen Soul - Glacial Domination

10. Olivia Rodrigo - Guts

Didn't think I'd ever find someone else that loves the A7X and 100 gecs albums - guess we're best friends now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

No basis for this hunch in the slightest, and the more truncated nature of headline sets in the double main stage era would make it unlikely, even before considering the demographic and the fact they will have already been over two months prior.

But, Foo Fighters. (Must have had some strong cheese before I went to bed last night.)

All My Life
The Pretender
No Son of Mine
Learn to Fly
Rescued
Walk
Times Like These
8 My Hero
The Sky is a Neighborhood
10 Nothing At All
11 This Is a Call 
12 Aurora
13 Monkey Wrench
14 Best of You
15 Everlong

Presumably their stadium shows in June will be slightly longer. Even if it's a pretty solid 90.

3 hours ago, Gejonimo said:

I'm 320 albums in to 2023, so my top 10 is f**king wild.

1) Creeper - Sanguivore
2) HMLTD - The Worm 
3) Gabriels - Angels & Queens 
4) Slow Readers Club - Knowledge Freedom Power
5) Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy
6) 100 gecs - 10,000 gecs
7) Romy - Mid-Air
8 Polaris - Fatalism
9) Beach Fossils - Bunny
10) Iggy Pop - Every Loser

Really wanted to include Fireworks, Chemical Brothers, Sleep Token, Skindred, Olivia Rodrigo, Story of the Year, Babymetal, Enter Shikari, Overmono and countless others. What a year. 

320 albums is a shift and a half, fair f**king play man

1 hour ago, andywatts1995 said:

Thoughts on the download leak? Few names here that have been mentioned for R+L previously 

20231106_201908.jpg

This is all kinds of weak. Just goes to show that R&L isn’t the only festival going down the pan, if it’s real of course

Edited by andyrhodes24

1 hour ago, andywatts1995 said:

Thoughts on the download leak? Few names here that have been mentioned for R+L previously 

20231106_201908.jpg

Jesus Christ that is bad

Certainly leaves a lot of options for Reading to go a little more rocky if they so choose…

Edited by Benj

4 minutes ago, wghennessy said:

Thats an awful line up for Download. What on earth is that 😁

I don’t get how FOB are at download at all, I thought it was pretty much teenage girl music 15 years ago, when did they get a following in that crowd?

1 hour ago, Benj said:

I don’t get how FOB are at download at all, I thought it was pretty much teenage girl music 15 years ago, when did they get a following in that crowd?

They’ve always had that pop punk/emo/tumblrcore following, definitely a gateway band for a lot of people. Their current tour hits a lot of their pre-hiatus, heavier material too; if it’s anything like the show I saw last week they’ll be fine

10 minutes ago, Crews1 said:

They’ve always had that pop punk/emo/tumblrcore following, definitely a gateway band for a lot of people. Their current tour hits a lot of their pre-hiatus, heavier material too; if it’s anything like the show I saw last week they’ll be fine

I guess the Teenage girl Emo of 2005 is now in her mid 30s and prime Download fodder

9 hours ago, stanh said:

Even though it does look pretty weak, it is nice to see Download have two new (I'm pretty sure) headliners.

A fair point.  

Sad that they’re all old bands long past their prime though, as opposed to anything new and fresh.

They’re pretty much only headlining due to the abject lack of talent able to headline such a fest, all having played it the last couple of years

Edited by Benj

12 hours ago, Aromaticmusic1 said:

Since there are now a lot more options for Rock at r&l with a slightly weaker download lineup and Benn saying there will be stage changes, could we see a return of the pit with someone like limp bizkit, skindred, Avril Lavigne headlining?

Surely if anything r&l will try to not cannibalise download sales as they're owned by the same company?  Like how Macklemore subbed blink last time 

1 minute ago, Benj said:

A fair point.  

Sad that they’re all old bands long past their prime though, as opposed to anything new and fresh.

They’re pretty much only headlining due to the abject lack of talent able to headline such a fest, all having played it the last couple of years

The only bands on the circuit who are better headliners have stadium tours instead (green day and foos). Fob have done 2 nights at the O2 for the first time. A7x did 2 nights at the O2 last tour (albeit in 2017).

Qotsa still have decent sized tours though as you say they're not at their peak 

Just now, Muppetmark said:

Surely if anything r&l will try to not cannibalise download sales as they're owned by the same company?  Like how Macklemore subbed blink last time 

Download has cannibalised Reading for years now.

They may have decided they need some of that crowd back at Reading to keep it viable (esp when much of the demographic can afford to do both).