Campervan tickets

hjd

On 10/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, Skip997 said:

I'm genuinely interested in this.

Here's two examples from other festivals I am/have been involved in.

Beautiful Days - they allow any type of vehicle to have a camper van pass and park up in the camper vans fields, I often see cars with CV passes parked in the CV fields.

Shambala - Camper van pitches are valid for converted live-in vehicles, or caravans only. No mention of coach-built motorhomes or draconian restrictions on what constitutes a "live-in".

So do GF have more strict conditions imposed by licensing, or have they made the decision themselves and if so why?

Interesting that these restrictions don't apply to crew camper vans or "live-ins", which suggests that it's not a licensing condition.

Of those I have camped at Glastonbury and Beautiful Days and massively preferred Glastonbury. The Beautiful Days campervan fields were an absolute mess with people parked on top of each other and all over the place. The toilets and elsan points were very poorly maintained. The plus points were that the showers were good and near to my pitch, and it wasn’t far to the gate (obviously as it’s 10% the size of Glastonbury). The showers were good to have as it was quite muddy (2021).

At Glastonbury I found CV East to be well spread out and organised with really well maintained toilets and elsan points. The drawbacks are the reverse of BDs - no showers and miles to the gate, the latter of which is down to the size. I wasn’t too fussed about the showers as Glasto was dry and I grabbed a later afternoon Greenpeace shower. Next time I won’t be bothered either as I’ve now fitted the shower to my van. 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

The Beautiful Days campervan fields were an absolute mess with people parked on top of each other and all over the place. The toilets and elsan points were very poorly maintained.

Agree about the toilet situation, they are an absolute disgrace at Beautiful Days and not only in the CV fields.

Haven't been in the Glastonbury punters CV fields for about 20 years, but I kinda like the randomness of the BD camper van fields. Don't like the regimented feel I get from that pic I posted of Glastonbury, looks like a caravan site at Croyde or somewhere, with everyone having breakfast before going off to the beach.

6 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

East campervan field limits you to an 8m camper (plus a tent at the side) anything larger goes to Bath & West show ground. 

I stayed in the East this year. Arrived around 4pm on the Tuesday. It was already very, very full

+ Capervan bed, making a cup of team in the morning, lots of space, quiet for a kip

- My van was exactly 1 mile away from Gate C. queue's to get in were at times horrendous, very little in the way of facilities on the outer fields. I had my missus and 2 girls with me. I was basically a porter fetching water and emptying waste for a couple of hours each morning. They loved the shower facility of the van. I grew to loath it!!!  All this made it impossible to go back and chill in the day. Plus it wasn't mine, I hired it so it made for a very expensive bed!

I personally wont be doing this again. I think I'd rather stay on worthy view (or similar) if my misses wont general camp

The cost of campervan hire does really make it a very expensive option.. 3 of us hired a van for my first festival in 2007 and it was a grand back then..

on the strength of that first visit i bought an older (good condition) caravan for £2.5k and that lasted for about 10 years (a dozen or more festivals).. of course you have to have somewhere to keep it and something decent to tow it.. But it gives an enormous about of room and value versus buying a campervan..

I love the atmosphere of being camped with friends and more often than not friendly neighbours.. As you say, sitting out with a cup of tea and a bit of brekkie... 

I also have 2 girls... and when they get old enough and bring boyfriends then you can divvi up the portering duties..   

• Like 2

Have always camped at glasto but considering camper tickets this year....

My campervan would sleep 4 at a push, but could you bring a small tent to park up next to your camper if required? Would one campervan ticket cover 4 people as well? 

No one will be allowed into the Campervan/Caravan fields without a weekend Festival ticket.

Your campervan/caravan MUST have purpose-built fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities. Any converted vehicles must clearly be live-in vehicles. This does not mean simply a van with a piece of foam cut to size for a bed, and a bucket for washing!

A team of campsite staff and security staff will check that campervans and caravans coming into these fields have bona fide living accommodation. No other vehicles will be let onto these fields under any circumstances – not even late replacement vehicles in the case of a breakdown – sorry.

3 hours ago, Eric Norwell said:

Have always camped at glasto but considering camper tickets this year....

My campervan would sleep 4 at a push, but could you bring a small tent to park up next to your camper if required? Would one campervan ticket cover 4 people as well? 

Yes, doesn't even have to be a small tent, plenty put a couple of little ones, or a large, or a gazebo - you just mention to the marshall when parking up, but they'll usually allow some space anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Fake Encore said:

We are knocking the idea around of a 4 birth campervan towing a caravan.

I am thinking we would need 2 x campervan tickets.  Also, will they just put these next to each other?  Do you get a designated space?

Almost certain you're going to need two camper van tickets.

22 minutes ago, Fake Encore said:

I am thinking we would need 2 x campervan tickets.  Also, will they just put these next to each other?  Do you get a designated space?

Probably only 1 campervan ticket since the camper would be towing the caravan, however if the combo is more than 8m long it may be considered as  oversized camping unit In all previous years oversize campers have been made to use the Bath & West Showground.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:13 PM, Fake Encore said:

I think the number of tickets you need will be the least of your problems..

Driving licence requirements, legal weight limits, fuel consumption, manoeuvrability, the weather (ground conditions) 

per @LycraIF you are allowed in it would likely be in Bath & West.

a big consideration is how many are in your crew.? you are limited by the number of seatbelts in the camper. (so you may only be able to transport 4 or 5 people. If you take both a campervan and a car to tow the caravan you will have double the passenger capacity. Travel in in convoy to park next to each other in CV East.

You can of course pitch tents as well as your live in vehicles.

As @BlueDaze says, there's a bunch of things to take into account...
https://caravanfaqs.com/caravan-laws-rules/can-you-tow-a-caravan-with-a-motorhome/

https://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/accommodation/info-campervans-and-caravans/#seperatevehicletravel

"If I am travelling in a separate vehicle to the caravan/campervan can I park in the campervan fields?
There is space for one towing vehicle to be parked beside or in front of the caravan."

17 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I think the number of tickets you need will be the least of your problems..

Driving licence requirements, legal weight limits, fuel consumption, manoeuvrability, the weather (ground conditions) 

per @LycraIF you are allowed in it would likely be in Bath & West.

a big consideration is how many are in your crew.? you are limited by the number of seatbelts in the camper. (so you may only be able to transport 4 or 5 people. If you take both a campervan and a car to tow the caravan you will have double the passenger capacity. Travel in in convoy to park next to each other in CV East.

You can of course pitch tents as well as your live in vehicles.

Thanks for that, some food for thought.  The campervan is 3,500kg so I think that is covered to tow a caravan on your normal driving licence.

My understanding here, is as long as you can fit  a caravan and motorhome in 8m x 7m you need 1 ticket.  So a 7m x 2.5m van and 7m x 2.5m caravan fits side by side with 2m width to spare.

This is not oversized and wouldn't mean you end up at Bath Showground.

There are 6 in the group and 6 seatbelts in the motorhome.

Petrol I agree is going to be ridiculous.

As for the weather, that's in the hands of the gods.

Does that check out ?!?!

18 minutes ago, Fake Encore said:

Thanks for that, some food for thought.  The campervan is 3,500kg so I think that is covered to tow a caravan on your normal driving licence.

My understanding here, is as long as you can fit  a caravan and motorhome in 8m x 7m you need 1 ticket.  So a 7m x 2.5m van and 7m x 2.5m caravan fits side by side with 2m width to spare.

Does that check out ?!?!

Well it sounds like you have looked into it deeper than your original "knocking the idea around" post.. so fair play to you.

I am far from the expert but cannot remember seeing this kind of set-up in 10 years in CV East.. Being the pessimist I am, i would still contact the festival to find their view..

Good luck with it though... (It would petrify me towing a caravan with something so big!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fake Encore said:

Does that check out ?!?!

Never seen a large caravan and large campervan parked up side by side in an allotted space. The norm obviously is caravan + car  or camper + car, and quite often tents. Ultimately it will be stewards on duty when you arrive who will be the arbiter and if they decide your combo is too big or not permited they will turn you away to the Bath & West Showground.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, prestonmike said:

isnt the 3.5 tonne limit on a standard license the total weight of the campervan + the caravan?

Only trailers weighing up to 750kg can be towed by someone with a regular B license, but the GTW of the vehicle and trailer must not exceed 3500kg

Unless you're an old git like me and passed your test before 1 January 1997, then the rules are different.

Instead of being only permitted to drive a van up to 3.5-tonnes, those with "grandfather rights" are able to drive a van or small truck up to 7.5 tonnes and tow a vehicle and trailer combination of up to 8250kg.

• Like 1

Very premature with this question but how strict are they with the rules on the size of the Motorhomes? Ours is 8.1m and wondering if we’d get away with being in the east campsite rather than opting for B&W. I know just getting tickets at this stage is wishful thinking!! But any insight would be appreciated 

Edited by Alking

1 hour ago, Alking said:

Very premature with this question but how strict are they with the rules on the size of the Motorhomes? Ours is 8.1m and wondering if we’d get away with being in the east campsite rather than opting for B&W. I know just getting tickets at this stage is wishful thinking!! But any insight would be appreciated 

It really is down to the stewards on duty at the entry gate when you arrive. If they feel you're too big they will direct your van to the Showground. In the past I've also seen large vans turned away because of the ground being too boggy. Tbh you're pushing it as you do really need to be inside 8m. You will loose the argument with any picky steward.

27 minutes ago, hjd said:

Can you resell campervan tickets?

In the process of buying one and will use it for glasto if lucky enough to get a ticket. If for some reason campervan doesn't go through, can you offload them?

Campervan tickets are printed with the registration number of the festival ticket holder and are both checked at the entry gate to the campervan fields: viz the festival ticket holder needs to arrive with the van. Unwanted campervan tickets should be returned for refund.

• Upvote 1

Also, will they just put these next to each other?  Do you get a designated space?

they'll put you somewhere  - you can tell them how you want  the campervan and caravan to be arranged, and they'll probably allow it.