2023 Wishlist

Nick07

On 1/5/2023 at 12:09 PM, Hexagon Sun said:

How about Tim Smith from Midlake who has a new album out this year?

My first Eotr, been to GM for the last 12 years, looking forward to something new. Heard so many great things.

Solo Tim Smith album the big news of the year for me, bet it's delayed till 2024.  

27 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

I agree they're more of an EOTR booking but can't help but feel like GM may have got them.

It'll likely come down to Green Man, being bigger, can offer them more.

YYYs are interesting, nothing has been announced but there was speculation a little while back that they would be over in August, which again would most likely mean GM. All Points East's subs will probably be the best sign of who'll actually be around at EOTR headliner level and their 2022 schedule was announced in November 2021 before either, but apart from Stormzy's special day nothing's been made public yet for 2023 and the rumours are it's being scaled back.

The trap we're in danger of falling into, of course, is assuming both festivals would have entirely international headliners...

Every time I've seen the reformed Pavement they've been deathly dull so won't mind if they miss EOTR

I absolutely adore YYYs but kinda feel like they're maaaaybe too big for EOTR's pockets? But would be over the moon happy with them, such an awesome live experience

1 hour ago, robith said:

Every time I've seen the reformed Pavement they've been deathly dull so won't mind if they miss EOTR

I absolutely adore YYYs but kinda feel like they're maaaaybe too big for EOTR's pockets? But would be over the moon happy with them, such an awesome live experience

Are they that big though? I don't think they're anymore big than Pixies.

26 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Are they that big though? I don't think they're anymore big than Pixies.

There's still novelty reformation value with them that there isn't so much (new albums notwithstanding) with Pixies.

In any case, I don't think it's a given that they'll have to be at either EOTR or GM just because they're in Europe in July.

2 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Pavement were brilliant (and very fun) and Primavera Sound and in London. 

Absolutely fantasic in Dublin a couple of months ago. Was never a huge fan but loved it all.

EOTR tweeting today. Guess we're close to some sort of an announcement? Usually get something in Jan dont we?

4 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

There's still novelty reformation value with them that there isn't so much (new albums notwithstanding) with Pixies.

In any case, I don't think it's a given that they'll have to be at either EOTR or GM just because they're in Europe in July.

No, it's definitely just a name that felt like it might be a good fit rather than anything more strategic. I just think they like to surprise us sometimes a la Vampire Weekend, St Vincent etc

On 1/7/2023 at 10:33 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

Wet Leg*

(* complete swing for the fence, but supposedly they may have a second album out this year and I can see them being offered in a "they started their story here, so..." way)

Arguably they started in the Alcove at Latitude, then went for seconds (and 3rds if you include sessions set) at Green Man?

14 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

Arguably they started in the Alcove at Latitude, then went for seconds (and 3rds if you include sessions set) at Green Man?

If we're being accurate there's evidence of them playing gigs on the Isle in 2019 (including one with Rhian reading the Too Late Now monologue off a scrap of A4) but the creation story is that they saw Idles there in 2018 and were inspired enough to agree to form a band while riding on the Ferris wheel afterwards.

12 minutes ago, dpdp said:

Wet Leg are playing Reading & Leeds. 

I'm not sure whether this rules them out, due to exclusivity rights.

Actually yeah, I hadn't realised they'd been announced for R&L. I did say it was a long shot.

Edited by SweepingTheNation