Boomtown Chapter 2: The Twin Trials

a6l6e6x

On 1/6/2023 at 10:59 PM, Leyrulion said:

Kojey was so good wasn't he? 

I got to see self esteem on a break and I swear there must have been barely 200 people there. 

Problem was there was just no break from the sun during the day. Remember watching SE's set in the shadow of the disabled platform/ delay tower for most of it 

I feel like origin benefitted from a bit more shade late afternoon due to the shape of the bowl?

Edited by barcelonista1899

On 1/7/2023 at 7:24 PM, barcelonista1899 said:

Problem was there was just no break from the sun during the day. Remember watching SE's set in the shadow of the disabled platform/ delay tower for most of it 

I feel like origin benefitted from a bit more shade late afternoon due to the shape of the bowl?

Yeh I missed a fair few things as the heat was too intense in the day

On 1/14/2023 at 2:55 PM, Leyrulion said:

People on Reddit are talking about the maze, what was that? Was it there this year?

It was basically the storyline, each area could be completed and you'd be awarded a card for doing so. You have to talk to the actors to try and piece together what's going on. I only completed one area as it can only be done during the day and I was struggling with the heat too much to walk around all day

Personally I think it's too confusing and it should be a bit clearer as to what is happening/what you need to do

9 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

It was basically the storyline, each area could be completed and you'd be awarded a card for doing so. You have to talk to the actors to try and piece together what's going on. I only completed one area as it can only be done during the day and I was struggling with the heat too much to walk around all day

Personally I think it's too confusing and it should be a bit clearer as to what is happening/what you need to do

Yeah, it's basically a secret storyline/mission that you have to interact with the actors over. You can end up in some weird and wonderful places that aren't usually accessible unless you have completed the earlier tasks you are given.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm iffing and ahhing about if Boomtown is for me and hopefully some of the wise grizzled veterans on here might be able to give me a better idea of what to expect. 

I went to Punchdrunk's The Burnt City a few months back and was blown away by the whole immersive theatre thing, and I've always thought Boomtown's idea of a festival with a narrative is absolute genius. I'm definitely interested in going and getting lost in the insane world of it all. I also love the lineup of last year's Grand Central, which I feel someone said was more the desired musical direction?

On the other hand, let's be honest, BT has a rep. I'm going to have to inspire the troops and be the advocate for this to get my friends to come and the last thing I want is to sell this kaleidoscopic fantasy filmset world to everyone and what they get is a load of gakked up British lads getting folded into St John's ambulances.

I honestly don't mean to come across as a judgemental bore (have been there myself back in the day), but I just want an honest read on should I bring a group of people with zero interest in illicit substances and limited interest in DnB to Boomtown for the story/ stages/ other genres? 

10 hours ago, On The Blend said:

So I'm iffing and ahhing about if Boomtown is for me and hopefully some of the wise grizzled veterans on here might be able to give me a better idea of what to expect. 

I went to Punchdrunk's The Burnt City a few months back and was blown away by the whole immersive theatre thing, and I've always thought Boomtown's idea of a festival with a narrative is absolute genius. I'm definitely interested in going and getting lost in the insane world of it all. I also love the lineup of last year's Grand Central, which I feel someone said was more the desired musical direction?

On the other hand, let's be honest, BT has a rep. I'm going to have to inspire the troops and be the advocate for this to get my friends to come and the last thing I want is to sell this kaleidoscopic fantasy filmset world to everyone and what they get is a load of gakked up British lads getting folded into St John's ambulances.

I honestly don't mean to come across as a judgemental bore (have been there myself back in the day), but I just want an honest read on should I bring a group of people with zero interest in illicit substances and limited interest in DnB to Boomtown for the story/ stages/ other genres? 

The big dance stages look impressive but attract bucket hats like moths to a light bulb. If you don’t like that music you’ll be fine, the other areas are a different crowd, much more chilled. The camping was set up in 3 separate areas last year catering for different crowds. There’s a separate campsite for kids on ket, although I don’t think it’s called that. 

On 6/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, On The Blend said:

You can definitely have a great time. A lot of the stuff you would hate tended to be kept towards the main stage. 

If you're just boozing you'll enjoy yourself, drink entry limits aren't great but you can work round that. 

Stages like the woods, tribe of frog definitely weren't a very different vibe. 

On 6/2/2023 at 11:08 AM, On The Blend said:

If this was pre-pandemic Boomtown I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to you.

However the budget cuts have meant the story and theatrical side of things has been tuned down a lot. And what still exists has very long queues. Admtitedly it was too hot for me to do any of the story last year so maybe Im wrong, but there was certainly a lot less to explore and stumble into than previous years.

Theres still plenty of non electronic music to be had, and if you only hang around those stages its easy to avoid the D&B, ket and bucket hats.

Theres a Facebook group called Boomtown Storyline, maybe ask in there if BT is still worth going to just for the theatrical stuff?

Edited by Harry3

3 hours ago, Harry3 said:

Theres a Facebook group called Boomtown Storyline, maybe ask in there if BT is still worth going to just for the theatrical stuff?

This is a great call, cheers! Fortunately, I'd be going for Chapter 3 so there's also the chance to see how it shakes out this August. I imagine there could be a fairly big difference from last year when BT was still in covid-recovery-mode.

On 6/5/2023 at 4:28 PM, On The Blend said:

This is a great call, cheers! Fortunately, I'd be going for Chapter 3 so there's also the chance to see how it shakes out this August. I imagine there could be a fairly big difference from last year when BT was still in covid-recovery-mode.

Ah OK. I think theyre still very much in inflation and cost-of-living-crisis mode this year too though.

3 hours ago, Harry3 said:

Ah OK. I think theyre still very much in inflation and cost-of-living-crisis mode this year too though.

I think you'll be surprised. Obviously i don't know all of the ins and outs, but i don't think they are cutting any corners this year, and want to make it bigger and better.

Boomtown socials have announced they have a huge closing artist on the Sunday booked.

I'm not going to say who it is, but I think there will be some very happy people based on peoples most requested artists over the years .

Edited by mr flow

35 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Boomtown socials have announced they have a huge closing artist on the Sunday booked.

I'm not going to say who it is, but I think there will be some very happy people based on peoples most requested artists over the years .

Best be the Prodigy

If its the Prodigy i’ll be picking up a ticket. On a knife edge about it as its like 3 days after I expect to move into a house

Sounds like its going to get announced soon 🙂