Mad Cool 2023

edge235

3 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

This and the facebook group made me soooo anxious. And completely unwarrented in the end as Friday was fine. Maybe we got lucky sandwiched between two shitshows, or maybe I have lower standards than everyone complaining on FB. **shrug**

Maybe we are spoiled….Primavera is superbly run. Madcool last year was a spacious relaxed vibe. 2 minutes to get a pint. 2 minutes for a piss. Easy to get to, easy to get home from. 

Maybe it’s my old age at 38. 

I have no interest in “f**king around” or being uncomfortable. 

Arriving at the gate with “accesso general” written on a big sign to be then made snake 1.5 km up the road and back to arrive back at “accesso general” where I was initially standing, does nothing for my mood. I arrived at 2240 last night just to see the Chili Peppers and still had to take that scenic route even though I was the only person in the queue. 

I’m a consumer. I’m fond of having 15 pints , going to all the bands and then staggering in tomorrow morning. 

I got one pint yesterday and left early.

They are losing my money. 

My wristband still has 115 Euro on it that I had envisaged using and never did. It speaks volumes.  Last year I was hammering double vodka and red bull into me watching incubus. 

1 hour ago, Sasperella2 said:

This and the facebook group made me soooo anxious. And completely unwarrented in the end as Friday was fine. Maybe we got lucky sandwiched between two shitshows, or maybe I have lower standards than everyone complaining on FB. **shrug**

Friday was the best day out of the 3. They solved most of the issues from Thursday and the site wasn't crazy busy.

Yesterday had 10k more people and you could really feel it was at capacity. Everything was a struggle but I guess as could be expected with 80k people in that space.

Access on Thursday was a real shitshow.

BTW, everyone I talked to said Ifema was way better. Even taxi drivers said so. Anyone here who has been to both locations? 

Edited by yosoyyoberdi

29 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Friday was the best day out of the 3. They solved most of the issues from Thursday and the site wasn't crazy busy.

Yesterday had 10k more people and you could really feel it was at capacity. Everything was a struggle but I guess as could be expected with 80k people in that space.

Access on Thursday was a real shitshow.

BTW, everyone I talked to said Ifema was way better. Even taxi drivers said so. Anyone here who has been to both locations? 

Yeah I’ve done IFEMA 3 times . 

The main stage and second stage were at 90 degrees to each other so if you found a decent spot you could pivot to watch the next band without moving . Particularly uselful for the second tier acts in the early evening. I actually thought the old madcool was better than primavera at times. It was that good.

it was way more chilled . If you sat down you didn’t have people stepping over you to get by. It had more space.  You could see everything from everywhere. It felt really open. 

You used to sail in and out of the toilets and no exaggeration ….you’d go to get a pint and the staff would be fighting over who got to serve you at times. It was bliss. I actually thought it was the most under rated festival in Europe. And last year was 4 days of acts. 

To be fair its still really great value , a great city and lovely weather guaranteed but if they continue in that vein it’s a young man’s game. Too much of a slog. I can imagine a 22 year old reading my posts and wondering what my fuss is about. 

I still have no idea where the shuttle bus or taxis were after being there for 3 days. Every day I left the festival I was funnelled to the underground metro station.  

There was something intangible about the whole festival too. It just felt a bit off. 

I think I’ll be looking elsewhere next year or just coming here specifically for a day if there is a band I can’t miss.

Edited by Drums Please Fab
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Yeah I’ve done IFEMA 3 times . 

The main stage and second stage were at 90 degrees to each other so if you found a decent spot you could pivot to watch the next band without moving . Particularly uselful for the second tier acts in the early evening. I actually thought the old madcool was better than primavera at times. It was that good.

it was way more chilled . If you sat down you didn’t have people stepping over you to get by. It had more space.  You could see everything from everywhere. It felt really open. 

You used to sail in and out of the toilets and no exaggeration ….you’d go to get a pint and the staff would be fighting over who got to serve you at times. It was bliss. I actually thought it was the most under rated festival in Europe. And last year was 4 days of acts. 

To be fair its still really great value , a great city and lovely weather guaranteed but if they continue in that vein it’s a young man’s game. Too much of a slog. I can imagine a 22 year old reading my posts and wondering what my fuss is about. 

I still have no idea where the shuttle bus or taxis were after being there for 3 days. Every day I left the festival I was funnelled to the underground metro station.  

There was something intangible about the whole festival too. It just felt a bit off. 

I think I’ll be looking elsewhere next year or just coming here specifically for a day if there is a band I can’t miss.

I think they were winging it! 

We moved from the middle of RHCP to the left to try and grab a beer mid set.

this is the view.

I hate to go on about overhead power lines but it left me cold.

it felt like we were plonked on cheapest grubbiest piece of land in the city.

the kind of place you’d go to murder a prostitute.

71F01BAA-889A-4542-9F8F-CF26A8FAA1E7.png

Edited by Drums Please Fab
  • Upvote 1

My wife nailed it this morning by saying it has turned into the British festivals we came here to get away from.

IFEMA was miles better in terms of space, bars, toilets, sound and general atmosphere.  We had our two kids with us last year as well and they loved every second

This year, my youngest said she felt scared she'd be crushed and get lost from us.  It just felt like a powderkeg ready to blow at any moment for me.  Watched some lad get a baton across the arm at the toilets then watched 3 girls squat and piss right next to the water fountains.   That's T in the Park behaviour for me.

On the whole this year we've had a great week in Madrid, the festival was great music wise but seriously spoiled by the set up and atmosphere.  It just didn't feel right at all.

As someone else said, maybe I'm getting older now but it definitely felt a young team festival this year.

We were here this year to celebrate me beating cancer and at times didn't feel that joy at the festival so we're looking at booking ourselves flights and hotels for New York and Chicago next year to do Lollapalooza as a proper treat to celebrate.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I went just on Saturday and I really hated the site of the festival. Getting in is fast once you are in the front door but we had to walk 15 minutes from were the taxi left us. Going out by metro is OK, but 25 minutes walking to reach the station. 

The worst issue for me were the toilets. So dangerous the bottleneck to get in. Why not placing toilets in several locations? also, I think the site was overcrowded last night. It was not easy moving in the site. Moving to stage 1 to number 2, was crazy. I really felt uncomfortable. Also RHCP setlist was a joke. 

Villaverde location is worse than Valdebebas and Caja Mágica. Nowadays Mad Cool sells tons of tickets due to their line-ups and they don't care about retaining their customers. Next Year they will bring Foo Fighters and a couple more of massive bands, and tickets will be sold like hot cakes. I don't understand how foreing people can come to Mad Cool, having much better festival experience options all over Europe. 

Pretty sure that this will be last Mad Cool. They can go to hell.

Edited by johnybegood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sasperella2 said:

Actually, Friday was the best day you could have come. A lot of the kinks from Thursday got worked out by Friday, and it didn't have quite as large or rowdy a crowd as we got on Saturday (when, apparently, they began to run out of basics like toilet paper and beer). 

45 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

I went just on Saturday and I really hated the site of the festival. Getting in is fast once you are in the front door but we had to walk 15 minutes from were the taxi left us. Going out by metro is OK, but 25 minutes walking to reach the station. 

The worst issue for me were the toilets. So dangerous the bottleneck to get in. Why not placing toilets in several locations? also, I think the site was overcrowded last night. It was not easy moving in the site. Moving to stage 1 to number 2, was crazy. I really felt uncomfortable. Also RHCP setlist was a joke. 

Villaverde location is worse than Valdebebas and Caja Mágica. Nowadays Mad Cool sells tons of tickets due to their line-ups and they don't care about retaining their customers. Next Year they will bring Foo Fighters and a couple more of massive bands, and tickets will be sold like hot cakes. I don't understand how foreing people can come to Mad Cool, having much better festival experience options all over Europe. 

Pretty sure that this will be last Mad Cool. They can go to hell.

"I don't understand how foreign people can come to Mad Cool, having much better festival experience options all over Europe."

I'm Canadian. I went to Mad Cool in 2018 and 2022 (my only European festivals). Other than the line-ups, the main reasons for going to MC were: no need to camping and can stay in hotels at very reasonable prices, nice weather (almost guarantee no raining day or mud on the site), cheap prices for food and drinks (as compare to North America). Based on this, what other festivals would you recommend? I considered in the past Rock Werchter. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

Just now, LaurentExpos said:

"I don't understand how foreign people can come to Mad Cool, having much better festival experience options all over Europe."

I'm Canadian. I went to Mad Cool in 2018 and 2022 (my only European festivals). Other than the line-ups, the main reasons for going to MC were: no need to camping and can stay in hotels at very reasonable prices, nice weather (almost guarantee no raining day or mud on the site), cheap prices for food and drinks (as compare to North America). Based on this, what other festivals would you recommend? I considered in the past Rock Werchter. Thank you.

Bilbao bbk and Nos Alive

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LaurentExpos said:

No need to camping and can stay in hotels at very reasonable prices, nice weather (almost guarantee no raining day or mud on the site), cheap prices for food and drinks (as compare to North America). Based on this, what other festivals would you recommend? I considered in the past Rock Werchter. Thank you.

Primavera, but it's getting expensive. Sziget in Budapest, but lineup is nowhere as good as MC. BBK bilbao as smaller option maybe. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, activean said:

Primavera, but it's getting expensive. Sziget in Budapest, but lineup is nowhere as good as MC. BBK bilbao as smaller option maybe. 

BBK seems to curate a great lineup each year for a great price, Bilbao has nice food, decent price hotels and good surf/swimming nearby with San Sebastian only up the road.

I remember when Childish Gambino was added really late.

Only 2 European appearances and BBK was one. 

Mad cool is the best, went in 2019, but after hearing all the stories from this year I'll let them sort out there issues before going again.

33 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

BBK seems to curate a great lineup each year for a great price, Bilbao has nice food, decent price hotels and good surf/swimming nearby with San Sebastian only up the road.

I remember when Childish Gambino was added really late.

Only 2 European appearances and BBK was one. 

Mad cool is the best, went in 2019, but after hearing all the stories from this year I'll let them sort out there issues before going again.

Even if they sort out the issues, the location is just grim. 

It would be like if primavera moved to an industrial estate out by the airport. it's still primavera, but it isn't. 

Real shame the organization issues seem to have marred it so much for quite a few people. I can understand it really not being ideal if you were feeling pretty knackered and/or had kids to worry about.

As I've said, completely agree about the toilets - getting in and out of the gents was a nightmare that felt dangerous at times. But didn't have to wait at all once actually in there, and my partner said the ladies were fine. Should be an easy fix with a bit of rearranging.  

Have to admit location became more of an annoyance as the weekend went on, it's a big old walk in this weather! Felt particularly gruelling on Friday when we were at our lowest ebb energy wise (both 36 here so not exactly spring chickens anymore). Found getting home alright tho, absolutely loads of shuttle buses so didn't have to wait long.  

Don't get the bar complaints, we just avoided trying to get drinks at the busiest bars just before the biggest bands played and didn't have a problem. Never waited more than a few minutes. Loads of mobile beer sellers too.  

As I've said elsewhere, the bands themselves were all brilliant and the crowds had great energy. Particularly liked mahou avenue, excellent venues to showcase the smaller acts.

No one we saw disappointed, if I was pushed for a top 5 I'd probably go the prodigy, thumper, lil nas x, the offspring & lizzo. But I'll probably say something different tomorrow - Robbie Williams, hotwax, stone, night club, queens of the stone age, years & years, MIA, and the red hot chili peppers all delivered.

3 hours ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Refunds of unused balances are already open and can be accessed here: IDASFEST (quite cheeky of them to keep 1.5€ per band as well)

See some of you at Arctic Monkeys tonight!

Some racket isn’t it. Force you to use it and then keep 1.50 per punter. 

that’s a minimum 120k extra in the coffers.
arctic monkeys tomorrow for me. Enjoy!

37 Celsius here at the moment. I’ve ducked into a bar off fuencarral to get some cold beer down my neck. Be careful out there! 

2 hours ago, Macca077 said:

Does anyone know the Setlists for the following??

Black Maracas

Nova Twins

Lizzo

Maximo Park

Stone

Kaleo

Had a great time seeing them but didnt catch all the songs.  Not on Setlist.FM sadly

Stone are there now, and it looks about right from what I remember - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stone/2023/espacio-mad-cool-villaverde-madrid-spain-3ba7d008.html

Only other thing we saw from your list was Lizzo, I think the set list from NOS is pretty much the same (minus 'happy birthday') but I was quite a few drinks in by that point so couldn't exactly guarantee it -

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lizzo/2023/passeio-maritimo-de-alges-oeiras-portugal-3ba7d0e4.html

1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Stone are there now, and it looks about right from what I remember - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stone/2023/espacio-mad-cool-villaverde-madrid-spain-3ba7d008.html

Only other thing we saw from your list was Lizzo, I think the set list from NOS is pretty much the same (minus 'happy birthday') but I was quite a few drinks in by that point so couldn't exactly guarantee it -

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lizzo/2023/passeio-maritimo-de-alges-oeiras-portugal-3ba7d0e4.html

Lizzo and Lil Nas X are f**king chancers.

Will be forgotten about shortly. Absolutely dreadful the pair of them. 

42 minutes ago, Drums Please Fab said:

Lizzo and Lil Nas X are f**king chancers.

Will be forgotten about shortly. Absolutely dreadful the pair of them. 

Ha! Impossible to say if they'll make anymore worthwhile music in future, but they're excellent live performers. Did you watch either of em? Thought they were both fantastic, lil nas x especially. Wasn't on our radar at all until we caught some of his glasto set and thought he had to be worth checking out. What a show! Alex Turner could only dream of being that entertaining on stage 😜

• Like 1