Green Man 2023

March Hare

7 minutes ago, dpdp said:

Little Simz ?  I also wouldn't be surprised if it's Self Esteem, however I'm not sure they're big enough.

Was in my thinking and would be amazing but wondering if she might have grown too much to headline green man. Self Esteem seem like a solid bet tbf, the way her tours sold, 6 music favourite and with a Mercury nomination as well I think she's more than big enough. Subbed Far Out in '21 so nice climb there

57 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

Was in my thinking and would be amazing but wondering if she might have grown too much to headline green man. Self Esteem seem like a solid bet tbf, the way her tours sold, 6 music favourite and with a Mercury nomination as well I think she's more than big enough. Subbed Far Out in '21 so nice climb there

Self Esteem could headline the Thursday at least, it looks like the Prioritise Pleasure show is continuing into a third summer so it'll be interesting to see where she's billed more generally but she's been announced as subbing Pulp at Neighbourhood Weekender. Orbital have a new album coming, for the dance headliner. Idles have been mentioned but probably too full-on and divisive for a GM headliner. Wet Leg? Some speculation they'll have a second album out in 2023, though I'd wonder if having done GM they'd be more likely to return to EOTR where they sort-of-formed.

Looking back through the thread someone mentioned Suede, which might have seemed a legacy booking in the wrong, Shiiine On-style direction except that their recent album got a lot of excited press and the shows have apparently been storming.

7 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Self Esteem could headline the Thursday at least, it looks like the Prioritise Pleasure show is continuing into a third summer so it'll be interesting to see where she's billed more generally but she's been announced as subbing Pulp at Neighbourhood Weekender. Orbital have a new album coming, for the dance headliner. Idles have been mentioned but probably too full-on and divisive for a GM headliner. Wet Leg? Some speculation they'll have a second album out in 2023, though I'd wonder if having done GM they'd be more likely to return to EOTR where they sort-of-formed.

Looking back through the thread someone mentioned Suede, which might have seemed a legacy booking in the wrong, Shiiine On-style direction except that their recent album got a lot of excited press and the shows have apparently been storming.

This is true with Self-Esteem, maybe we might see some new music which could help the cause for her taking a top slot. I don't think Wet Leg will play either tbh, think they'll be snatched up on a Live Nation type contract to only do their festivals.

Don't think Idles would be too full-on, headlined the Far Out in 2019 which went down very well against Father John Misty and 2 albums since last playing. Would love Suede and could see them being booked but I wonder if they could play the Thursday? especially if they carry on with having the Mountain Stage open on the Thursday 

Would be disappointed if it was Self Esteem. She's been everywhere (three summers touring one album is an impressive feat, but it's also borderline oversaturation at this point) and most people who bought tickets will have had the opportunity to see her multiple times elsewhere. She's a decent headliner for a next record with a new show, but not this one.

Feist is around next year with a new album so she'd be excellent, and it's over a decade since she's been at GM.

Would love it to be Orbital, think I mentioned them before. Imagine hearing Impact The Earth Is Burning booming out from the Mountain Stage. There's a possibility that Leftfield could get a slot, they played a while back on the Thursday night and have a new album on the way.

No thanks to Sleaford Mods, Idles or Self Esteem. They are all daytime 6music wear your t-shirt to work from home dad bookings. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 1986 said:

Just read The Walkmen are blowing the dust off their socials leading people to speculate on a reunion. If true I'll be buying tickets anyway but would be a great addition to Green Man.

Didn’t see this before I posted my other message.  Would be a cool booking even if I don’t really know them that well, apart from THAT song…

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Didn’t see this before I posted my other message.  Would be a cool booking even if I don’t really know them that well, apart from THAT song…

Probably worth seeing for that song alone tbf 🙂 

They're a fantastic band though, released at least 3 of the best indie rock albums of the century. 

3 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

It's really not much good dismissing bands for being "6 Music", because that's literally every major act GM is likely to put on.

Yeah but some are so much more "6music" than others. You know the ones that could literally release any old shit and Lauren Laverne would make it track of the day or whatever she does before talking to someone that runs a miniature soap museum.

4 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

That's probably because it's the only song they have ever made, or at least it is according to 6 Music anyway 😂

Regardless, surely the reason we were talking about "6 Music acts" is that we were talking about which British artists could headline 2023 and given what GM thrives on you're not going to get away from a certain strata. Even Little Simz, who while great would be a leftfield booking by their terms given the festival has no history of main stage rap, has been fully supported by the station for years.