Volunteering 2023

neil93

13 hours ago, March Hare said:

Please come to the efests meet, I’m well into Oxfam stewarding but I’d love to know more about getting into lockups crew. It’s looks hard but fun at the same time. Plus I love the CND

Will do, as long as I'm not working!

12 hours ago, Ged Devereux said:

What are the shifts for this like? I had a possibility of getting them this year if I hadn't been successful in resale. Didn't enquire too much as was always going to try the resale 

We do 24 hours in total over the festival, in 4 hour shifts, and usually with one 8 hour overnight in there as well. Occasionally you'll get an 8 hour block in day as well. It's pretty good really.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

We do 24 hours in total over the festival, in 4 hour shifts, and usually with one 8 hour overnight in there as well. Occasionally you'll get an 8 hour block in day as well. It's pretty good really.

Gotta be hard to get  a spot though yeah? Aren't they run by a charity and have a list of regulars? 

2 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

Ah yeah that is really good. Good to know for future years

2 hours ago, Havors said:

Gotta be hard to get  a spot though yeah? Aren't they run by a charity and have a list of regulars? 

It's not an open application, like Oxfam etc, and yes, it's mostly regulars who come each year.

But there are some vacancies each year!

Edited by deepkittycaz

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its definately one I considered for the last Festival as im friendly with my local lockup crew as a regular . was on the reserve list .seriously though use the lockups they are amazing 🙂 

Yep, personal recommendations are one of our major ways in.

54 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

It's not an open application, like Oxfam etc, and yes, it's mostly regulars who come each year.

But there are some vacancies each year!

Yeah I know the glade fire Marshall crew is similar. Something I may look into next year I have a few friends who different things. I've always just auto gone with oxfam because I've done it a few times 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Yeah I know the glade fire Marshall crew is similar. Something I may look into next year I have a few friends who different things. I've always just auto gone with oxfam because I've done it a few times 

Oxfam is infectious, the camp is so good and this year, with the iced lattes, it was even better

Hi guys, I'm volunteering for the first time this year, festaff. A couple of questions please....

Can volunteers come and go as they please on Tuesday, I'd like to visit friends who will be in the campervan field?

Does each crew have their own campsite or will we be all in one (Tom's field?)

Thanks Tony 

25 minutes ago, eatmorebeans said:

Hi guys, I'm volunteering for the first time this year, festaff. A couple of questions please....

Can volunteers come and go as they please on Tuesday, I'd like to visit friends who will be in the campervan field?

Does each crew have their own campsite or will we be all in one (Tom's field?)

Thanks Tony 

Hi there.

In answer to your questions

Yes you can come and go on the Tuesday 

Festaff will have their own campsite- not Tom's Field but I believe they share with Oxfam?

5 minutes ago, dondo said:

Hi there.

In answer to your questions

Yes you can come and go on the Tuesday 

Festaff will have their own campsite- not Tom's Field but I believe they share with Oxfam?

Nope oxfam has its own massive campsite these days. Ball ache tbh it's an extra 15 mins walk ontop of what it used to be. But its a great campsite. 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Nope oxfam has its own massive campsite these days. Ball ache tbh it's an extra 15 mins walk ontop of what it used to be. But its a great campsite. 

Ah right.  I was only going on 2016 when a friend worked for Festaff so bit old information.

On 4/28/2023 at 4:29 PM, Johnnyseven said:

Can anyone with Oxfam bun fight experience tell me the best way to jump on when they release places?

My main advice is to stick around once it looks sold out.  I got in as a novice last year.  Looked like they were gone almost immediately, but like with regular tickets until the recent change, payment issues may mean places get released back. I left the page open when it looked sold out. Looked at my phone later and lo and behold a payment screen had popped up. This was half an hour after the start time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, March Hare said:

What did you think?

It was as good as it could be for the format of a webinar. Andy is a lovely guy and gave a great delivery (he actually presented part of my last in person training in London too) but it’s just not the same as the pre covid world of all getting together to train and chatting and going for drinks after! 

3 hours ago, dondo said:

Ah right.  I was only going on 2016 when a friend worked for Festaff so bit old information.

Festaff have never technically shared with Oxfam - for a few years they used to be in adjacent fields with some shared facilities (showers, toilets) but Oxfam now have both of those fields. Not actually sure where Festaff have been moved to.

4 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Anyone volunteering at Download for Oxfam, come say hi to me at the staff campsite managers office (nights) and you might even get a brew! 

. . . 👀. . . if I say hello Paul (tm) will it get me a ginger nut? 

8 hours ago, Watergirl said:

My main advice is to stick around once it looks sold out.  I got in as a novice last year.  Looked like they were gone almost immediately, but like with regular tickets until the recent change, payment issues may mean places get released back. I left the page open when it looked sold out. Looked at my phone later and lo and behold a payment screen had popped up. This was half an hour after the start time.

Can you book a friends place like you can with coach and general admission tickets?