Volunteering 2023

neil93

1 hour ago, JohnnySE10 said:

29th too... Oxfam newbie here!

Good luck! I'm interested to see how it is online and feel it's a bit of a shame really.  When I was a newbie it was in person and it was good to meet people ahead of the festivals.  Last time in London some of us had a few drinks after... but I guess online is just part of the world that we live in these days!

17 minutes ago, oakdown said:

Those of you still to do the Oxfam training, I recommend keeping a note of the answers to the questions they ask to make sure you've paid attention, and then holding onto it even after you've submitted them.

Last year there was a glitch that meant my training wasn't marked as complete and when I emailed they asked me to give them the answers again, weeks after the fact! Was just luck that I still had the notepad file saved.

Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, oakdown said:

Those of you still to do the Oxfam training, I recommend keeping a note of the answers to the questions they ask to make sure you've paid attention, and then holding onto it even after you've submitted them.

Last year there was a glitch that meant my training wasn't marked as complete and when I emailed they asked me to give them the answers again, weeks after the fact! Was just luck that I still had the notepad file saved.

Good point, and yes I've kept the 3 answers just in case.

5 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

I've been offered post festival shifts with recycling. Anyone done it before? 

Yes, me and husband did it last year, first time volunteering. 
we went in on the Monday, great to be there early. The work was hard- walked 14 miles on first day. You are basically clearing all the camp sites. The repetition of constantly bending down was hard! But, doing it again this year. Was great to have the whole of the festival time off, and be there for 12 days. 

Edited by lmaltby1001
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oakdown said:

It's been updated on my account already so worth checking to make sure you've got the green tick for anyone who did it last night.

18 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Yes am in I think. Good to be able to take advantage of crew wristband for whole festival.

I imagine you find all sorts of stuff. Ha ha

Do any bars stay open Tuesday to Thursday or food places? I know they offer free veggie meals

We didn't find any bars open. They seem to shut from Sunday evening, early Monday morning. 

16 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

I'm pretty fit as I run and play hockey so ok with exercise. Is there post shift social so you're not just there on your todd?

All bars shut after the Sunday night but the toms field canteen can get quite rowdy with pwople drinking the booze they find on the campsite clearouts and whats remaining of there own stash. 
seem to remember someone producing a trumpet on the last night- bring your earplugs as you may want a few early nights. Food is ok, and free tea and coffee, plugs to charge your phone( although you have to fight i er them sometimes!)  

7 hours ago, lmaltby1001 said:

We worked with some wateraid volunteers litterpicking after the festival, so may not be  cleaning the toilets at all. 

This is true and is the gig I have this year the post festival tent gathering /tidying. On the negative... seeing the debris left behind may be a bit of a downer but on the plus side it is work after the festival only.

Most first time volunteers will be on loo crew just on law of averages as it is the biggest roll for the WaterAid crew 

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

This is true and is the gig I have this year the post festival tent gathering /tidying. On the negative... seeing the debris left behind may be a bit of a downer but on the plus side it is work after the festival only.

Most first time volunteers will be on loo crew just on law of averages as it is the biggest roll for the WaterAid crew 

On the PLUS side its much better since they banned the Traders from selling single use plastic bottles

6 minutes ago, StuwieG said:

For Shelter, what time do the coaches normally leave from Bristol? Morning/afternoon/evening? Just wondering if would have to book a hotel on the Monday night as coming from Liverpool 

They really should have told you that  information long long long ago as prices of accommodation have risen. I have volunteered for shelter / Avalon before

5 hours ago, Aragorn said:

I've been offered post festival shifts with recycling. Anyone done it before? 

Can I ask, were you referred by someone else? 
our referrals are waiting to hear, and we have been told that they are half way down the list, so trying to gauge any hope for them! 

4 minutes ago, lmaltby1001 said:

Can I ask, were you referred by someone else? 
our referrals are waiting to hear, and we have been told that they are half way down the list, so trying to gauge any hope for them! 

Yes, I was referred by a friend of mine whose done recycling crew for 15+ years. I'm a 13 year visitor as a punter, not that prolly makes much difference.