Volunteering 2023

neil93

16 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Does proven support of a charity give you more of a chance of getting selected to volunteer at the festival?  I'm a long time Shelter supporter (signed up at Glastonbury years ago as I recall) and "ran" the London Marathon as part of their team last year.

Just trying to work out how slim my chances are.  I'm guessing still better than my Worthy FM application!

Not for Oxfam (unless you're applying for a shop role). Water Aid had some requirement of showing previous support for them. Shelter I'm not sure, they've taken all their website info down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

i dunno that's pretty niche in terms of experience you have .. should stand a chance 

Cheers.  I suppose the fact I've interviewed people at festivals and droned on endlessly about how brilliant Glastonbury is on the radio for a few years now is a plus, but at the same time I'm getting on a bit (though I do try not to come over as a Harry Enfield character on air)!  None of my family want to go next year (I've disowned them) so I'd applied for Worthy FM prior to ticket day anyway, as felt like a great way to really be involved with the festival.  

2 hours ago, Greenelk said:

Cheers.  I suppose the fact I've interviewed people at festivals and droned on endlessly about how brilliant Glastonbury is on the radio for a few years now is a plus, but at the same time I'm getting on a bit (though I do try not to come over as a Harry Enfield character on air)!  None of my family want to go next year (I've disowned them) so I'd applied for Worthy FM prior to ticket day anyway, as felt like a great way to really be involved with the festival.  

Let us know how you get on or not if you prefer

4 hours ago, not worthy said:

I know it's not a Glastonbury query, but with more folks on this forum than the others I thought I'd try here.

Have any of you volunteered for Oxfam at Download?

What roles do oxfam cover

How many shifts/what shift patterns.

Is Oxfam parking next to Oxfield

Any other info of note?

Thanks

AFAIK Glastonbury is the only one where Oxfam is gates only, every other one you tend to be a bit more varied doing either campsites, general roaming, vehicle gates etc, pedestrian crossings etc

The shift patterns are the same as Glastonbury 3x8 hours but over 4 days rather than 5.

27 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I've had vehicle crossings positions at Glasto b4, tho that was about 10 years ago. Is it officially now just gates only?

Theres still a few  Oxfam positions other than gates i think. The crossings on the way in to gate B for example. Maybe the odd other similar ones. I do think there used to be more non gate positions though. 

Edited by philipsteak

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Do they not cover arenas, roaming, info points at all now?

Not totally sure TBH, some areas have there own stewards e.g. Green fields and SE corner.

I don't know how you apply for these positions, probably recruited through word of mouth.

19 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not totally sure TBH, some areas have there own stewards e.g. Green fields and SE corner.

I don't know how you apply for these positions, probably recruited through word of mouth.

Aye, but Oxfam specifically? Just wondering what's changed. For the other festivals I do with them annually, these positions exist, but of course Glasto has its own setup.

36 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

10 years since I've stewared Glasto and they used to do it then I believe...

Don't think so. Vast majority were always gates, a few in the Oxfield, the odd crossing. The only position I can think of that wasn't one of these was Muddy Lane. Used to have a few positioned along there but not for a few years now. Equally I suppose it could just be I never got/never heard about other types of roles.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Theres still a few  Oxfam positions other than gates i think. The crossings on the way in to gate B for example. Maybe the odd other similar ones. I do think there used to be more non gate positions though. 

I nearly witnessed a head on collision at that road crossing as the young lad was waving a jeep on at the blind bend and the other young lad on the opposite side was also waving a van on ....very lucky they both manged to stop in time and that got me thinking that I thought only the police were authorised to stop and direct traffic ?? deffo shouldnt be trusted with inexperienced oxfam volunteers .

There :-

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 20-02-26 GlastoMap.png

Edited by gazzared

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Aye, but Oxfam specifically? Just wondering what's changed. For the other festivals I do with them annually, these positions exist, but of course Glasto has its own setup.

It's the only slight out off with them tbh, the fact that all the gigs are very far out of the action. Certainly nothing like others they do.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

SE corner is local schools, parent teacher associations, smaller charities that sort of thing. Well so I've been told from someone that did it this year.

26 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I nearly witnessed a head on collision at that road crossing as the young lad was waving a jeep on at the blind bend and the other young lad on the opposite side was also waving a van on ....very lucky they both manged to stop in time and that got me thinking that I thought only the police were authorised to stop and direct traffic ?? deffo shouldnt be trusted with inexperienced oxfam volunteers .

All of the junctions on the old railway track are managed by Green traffic, a mixture of volunteers and paid staff. Most of them are very experienced in this role, having done it for years and the odd new person is trained by the old hands. They direct traffic and I'm unaware of any collisions. Security and police take over after 11pm, although by that time there should be virtually no traffic except emergency vechiles. Green traffic used to do it until 3am.

I used to be team leader for the Glade crossroads, and loved the late shift 11pm - 3am, you could have a right laugh with muntered punters. It's a high pressure role and you need to be very switched on.

The most stressful and annoying incident I remember was at the crossroads for Avalon/Unfair ground/Undle ground. It was a Thursday night pre SE corner one way system, nothing going on elsewhere, with streams of people moving in all directions. It's a tight crossroads. We had to turn an ambulance on an emergency call, no one was paying attention, the masses of people kept coming from 4 directions seemingly unaware of the ambulance. I had to radio for assistance and enlist all security in the area. We formed a ring around the ambulance linking arms and slowly managed to turn it, taking about 20 minutes, while people kept coming, basically pushing right up against us.

Fortuanately I've been moved to a much more relaxed position with my last shift finishing after the opening ceremony, hence free to enjoy the rest of the festival.

Edited by Skip997
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

All of the junctions on the old railway track are managed by Green traffic, a mixture of volunteers and paid staff. Most of them are very experienced in this role, having done it for years and the odd new person is trained by the old hands. They direct traffic and I'm unaware of any collisions. Security and police take over after 11pm, although by that time there should be virtually no traffic except emergency vechiles. Green traffic used to do it until 3am.

I used to be team leader for the Glade crossroads, and loved the late shift 11pm - 3am, you could have a right laugh with muntered punters. It's a high pressure role and you need to be very switched on.

The most stressful and annoying incident I remember was at the crossroads for Avalon/Unfair ground/Undle ground. It was a Thursday night pre SE corner one way system, nothing going on elsewhere, with streams of people moving in all directions. It's a tight crossroads. We had to turn an ambulance on an emergency call, no one was paying attention, the masses of people kept coming from 4 directions seemingly unaware of the ambulance. I had to radio for assistance and enlist all security in the area. We formed a ring around the ambulance linking arms and slowly managed to turn it, taking about 20 minutes, while people kept coming, basically pushing right up against us.

Fortuanately I've been moved to a much more relaxed position with my last shift finishing after the opening ceremony, hence free to enjoy the rest of the festival.

You know I don't remember seeing a single vehicle on the railway track this year. 

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

You know I don't remember seeing a single vehicle on the railway track this year. 

Most of the vehicle movement now occurs pre and post event days, during the set up and take down. There shouldn't be much need , except for emergency vehicles, things that need doing such as emptying loos etc are done early, after SE corner shutdown. There used to be much more when I was working on the railway track.  The tankers full of shit from the longdrops were a real problem along with The Glade production crew who were forever transporting artists around.

Seems things are better organised now