Bearded Theory 2023

jimmillen

19 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

It did stretch right back there didn’t it…??

There was no camping space for us late arrivals so they ended up having to make part of the car park outside of the main entrance into a campsite with just a few portaloos. Problem was people taking up camping space with gazebos. We got camped on a fire escape with their permission in field at top of site 

24 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

There was no camping space for us late arrivals so they ended up having to make part of the car park outside of the main entrance into a campsite with just a few portaloos. Problem was people taking up camping space with gazebos. We got camped on a fire escape with their permission in field at top of site 

They have always been so strict about the use of space (in Trent at least) with spaces actually pre marked..

a steward one year told me that I couldn’t park my pick-up next to my caravan and would have to go and park it in the general car park….

oh how we laughed..

12 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

They have always been so strict about the use of space (in Trent at least) with spaces actually pre marked..

a steward one year told me that I couldn’t park my pick-up next to my caravan and would have to go and park it in the general car park….

oh how we laughed..

Sorry this was in tent camping!

Last year was the first year I'd camped, as in previous years I had gone with a friend in a camper van when we'd been lucky to be put in a space very close to the action.  Couldn't believe how difficult it was to find somewhere to pitch last year.  And how far away we had to park.  Especially as we'd got there lunchtime on Thursday.  Don't know if we were just looking in the wrong place (and we had a lot of stuff and didn't want to walk too far!).  But all was well in the end.  

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

What is the vibe like early Thursday? Is the arena open or just campsite? We didn';t get there until around 6pm last year so missed all Thursday bands.

The Arena won't be open straight away, as they'll probably still be building it. Probably about 2pm or so based on past years.

21 minutes ago, incident said:

The Arena won't be open straight away, as they'll probably still be building it. Probably about 2pm or so based on past years.

It will be built by time gates open, otherwise they wouldn't get the go ahead to open, plus you can still cut through from campervan fields to campsite.

What might not be ready is staffing, traders, sound checks etc.. 

On 4/25/2023 at 5:15 PM, Chrisp1986 said:

Definitely agree gazebos are the main issue and not the tents. There were loads last year and they are just dead space. Some of them were taking up a ridiculous amount of room. 

Really hope the campsite isnt going to be ridiculously cramped. 

11 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

It will be built by time gates open, otherwise they wouldn't get the go ahead to open, plus you can still cut through from campervan fields to campsite.

What might not be ready is staffing, traders, sound checks etc.. 

I've been in the arena at Bearded on the Thursday morning, before it's open to the public, and have stood on the crossroads (as it was laid out before they expanded the Arena southwards) telling people they can't come in yet - when I say built, I mean they'll still be attaching speakers/lights to the main stage, there'll be fences not locked in. Minor stuff, but still enough that you won't want public milling around.

They can open the route between CV and Campsite without opening the whole shebang.

Edited by incident

43 minutes ago, ciderbus said:

I noted the free pint and branded "glass" offer for people buying tickets now.

Unusual promotion. I wonder if ticket sales are a touch below what they were expecting/hoping for.

Yeah i was wondering that, but sure I cant understand why with the line up, its immense.

Bear with me as I try to explain this.

Last year they marked out what looked like fire lanes into the centre of the camping areas. But it turned out that wasn't what they were, they'd figured out that a lot of people arriving early camp next to paths, making it difficult for people to get to the middle. So these lanes were to get people through the outer tent crust. 

Come Friday morning, they removed the tape that was marking out these lanes and people started pitching up in the spaces left.

It seemed a pretty good idea but obviously, people arriving later didn't know this and just camped further away, leaving the fields near the entrance with a fair few spaces.

So, if you are arriving later and can be arsed walking over to have a look, check the fields further in.

Screenshot_20230427_171333_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9bef5992bfcd9b73c49de5335ff53a00.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Perks said:

Yeah i was wondering that, but sure I cant understand why with the line up, its immense.

Can't understand it. Beautiful Days has sold out, is 2.5k bigger, and lets be honest, has a worse line up (I love BD and am going to both again this year). 

Time of year maybe? Concerns over new owners? Bit odd. That said, pissed off am not gonna get a free pint after buying tickets as soon as they went on sale!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flaminglippy said:

Can't understand it. Beautiful Days has sold out, is 2.5k bigger, and lets be honest, has a worse line up (I love BD and am going to both again this year). 

Time of year maybe? Concerns over new owners? Bit odd. That said, pissed off am not gonna get a free pint after buying tickets as soon as they went on sale!

There are an awful lot of the old punters who are not going this year, maybe even as many as 3000-4000 and that is a big chunk out of any festival. The new owners and increased capacity have put lots off as well as finances being tight.
My worry is that the demographic will change as a result and it will be that which changes the festival rather than the new owners.

BD sold out fast as it is the 20th - and so many people go to 'anniversary' festivals and then not again. 

We are doing BT and BD too

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Bear with me as I try to explain this.

Last year they marked out what looked like fire lanes into the centre of the camping areas. But it turned out that wasn't what they were, they'd figured out that a lot of people arriving early camp next to paths, making it difficult for people to get to the middle. So these lanes were to get people through the outer tent crust. 

Come Friday morning, they removed the tape that was marking out these lanes and people started pitching up in the spaces left.

It seemed a pretty good idea but obviously, people arriving later didn't know this and just camped further away, leaving the fields near the entrance with a fair few spaces.

So, if you are arriving later and can be arsed walking over to have a look, check the fields further in.

Screenshot_20230427_171333_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9bef5992bfcd9b73c49de5335ff53a00.jpg

Maybe they could do with Glastonbury style 'field stewards' (I know they are not called that).. that inform campsite crew at the entry gates how much space they have... Have a big map at the entrance and direct campers?

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

There are an awful lot of the old punters who are not going this year, maybe even as many as 3000-4000 and that is a big chunk out of any festival. The new owners and increased capacity have put lots off as well as finances being tight.

Where you getting that figure from? Out our usual group of 100+, about 10% are not going this year for various reasons.

48 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Maybe they could do with Glastonbury style 'field stewards' (I know they are not called that).. that inform campsite crew at the entry gates how much space they have... Have a big map at the entrance and direct campers?

I think they are doing this with MyCause 

Volunteer At Bearded Theory | Festival Volunteer | My Cause UK