Bearded Theory 2023

jimmillen

We were in two minds but decided to book anyway. Will see how it goes in terms of trek from the car park, how cramped it feels in the arena and the atmosphere but will go in with an open mind. Hoping to see Pulp at a festival next year, guessing too big for Bearded? Think Latitude is more likely. 

Anybody seen any response on when first announcement is due? They've answered most questions but can't see a response on that yet. 

10 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

We were in two minds but decided to book anyway. Will see how it goes in terms of trek from the car park, how cramped it feels in the arena and the atmosphere but will go in with an open mind. Hoping to see Pulp at a festival next year, guessing too big for Bearded? Think Latitude is more likely. 

Anybody seen any response on when first announcement is due? They've answered most questions but can't see a response on that yet. 

I think they said later this year.

Hmm....unfortunately, I think thats it for us (although we are waiting on the line up before we make the final decision).

The combination of price increases (across the board, not 'just' tixs), and the heart of the old organization and crew stepping down has done it I'm afraid. Shame, as we've been going on and off since the tornado year....

Hey ho...

Edited by spudthemariner
Spelling

We also got super early bird... £408 for 2 tickets and campervan. 

I don't want to be one of those moaning people... But I'm unsure about my future with Bearded Theory. I have loved every year I have been, but this year felt different to me. And reading of the original organisers not having a say in this years festival has me worried. The only reason I have bought tickets now is because I know so many people that are going, and it's a great festival to actually hang out with mates. The fact that the capacity was reduced to 8500 from 10000 in 2019, then DHP have come along and increased it to 15000 without changing layout, and increasing toilet facilities etc is just crazy. 

30 minutes ago, Curlygirl said:

We also got super early bird... £408 for 2 tickets and campervan. 

I don't want to be one of those moaning people... But I'm unsure about my future with Bearded Theory. I have loved every year I have been, but this year felt different to me. And reading of the original organisers not having a say in this years festival has me worried. The only reason I have bought tickets now is because I know so many people that are going, and it's a great festival to actually hang out with mates. The fact that the capacity was reduced to 8500 from 10000 in 2019, then DHP have come along and increased it to 15000 without changing layout, and increasing toilet facilities etc is just crazy. 

I have been told it was actually the old owner who decided it had to go up to 15k this year - otherwise it would have been cancelled. I have no reason not to believe the person who told me.

Our view is the same as yours on BT though - we will see how it goes as it is not just the increase that will change it, but the change in people who go.

So many of the people who were always there will now not be so tickets will go to others who may not have that same attitude perhaps - maybe lots of Truck festival people might buy tickets. Truck people are lovely, but just very very different if you see what I mean.

Now if only some of the old organisers were sorting a new festival that would be announced soon.

• Upvote 3

Buckled really easily and bought early bird tickets. It'll be great. If it's not then I'll just smoke more 👍

Didn't think the capacity had increased this year though? I don't do Facebook so I'm relying on here and emails for updates - there are some proper weird my band are better than your band 1991 your t-shirt types, bit too culty for me (not the band, I like the band)

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I have been told it was actually the old owner who decided it had to go up to 15k this year - otherwise it would have been cancelled. I have no reason not to believe the person who told me.

Our view is the same as yours on BT though - we will see how it goes as it is not just the increase that will change it, but the change in people who go.

So many of the people who were always there will now not be so tickets will go to others who may not have that same attitude perhaps - maybe lots of Truck festival people might buy tickets. Truck people are lovely, but just very very different if you see what I mean.

Now if only some of the old organisers were sorting a new festival that would be announced soon.

Happens sometimes when more people find out about a gem and decide to come along. For years I've been happy that nobody had heard of Bearded, bit selfish of me I suppose

I don't want to dismiss other people's experiences from this year, maybe I'm just oblivious but the only difference I noticed this year was the struggle to get into Woodland earlier in the day. 

I've been going since 2012 and have seen a lot of changes, it has certainly evolved over the years, a lot less dog on a string than it used to be but if it hadn't changed it probably wouldn't still exist. I'm definitely giving the new people the benefit of the doubt, we'll see how it goes.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I definitely noticed a change in the dynamic of people attending this year. Loads more were off their t*ts and incapable of looking after themselves. I have no issue with people taking drugs, I do have an issue when they don't take them responsibly and cause risk to themselves and others. 

The rise in capacity also isn't an issue, but they also need to increase the facilities. The toilets in the campervan field were literally overflowing on the first night. 

As for this new possible festival... I'm all over it 😉

24 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I would expect any contracts for the sale of bearded to block the setting up of another festival for several years. 

Yep and given the shit they've had to deal with over the past few years, and the stress it must have caused, I'd be stunned if they had any inclination at all to do so right now unless someone else was entirely footing the bill / taking the risk. Maybe in another few years when the memories have faded a bit.

Well I bought myself a super early bird ticket for this, as I missed this year due to my partner being ill and unfortunately he died in July shortly after his 50 birthday 😞 

I miss Andy everyday and was in 2 minds whether to go as we loved going to festivals together (we had so much fun), so its going to be hard going without him but I know he wouldn't want me to miss out on something I loved doing... so I'm back on the festival bandwagon and joining another group of friends who are going

Glad the BYO beer policy is still there, capacity increase to 15k like this year not so much but I'll live as this for me is more about moving forward doing something I love if a different way now that my Andy has gone 😞 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

What a delightful idea... 🙃

More than delightful - just perfectly wonderous.

As Picard would have said, 'Make it so'.

16 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I would expect any contracts for the sale of bearded to block the setting up of another festival for several years. 

Perhaps as a very specific term that referred to a given date range but a blanket ban would be highly unusual in any such contract.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Restrain of trade clauses like that don't stand up in law, eu law that is.. 

Edited by Neil

27 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

They can do in some circumstances, but I doubt it would be written well enough. 

its not about getting the wording right, the central principle of restraint of trade is outlawed:everyone has the right to earn a living in their chosen area of work.

2 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Seems like they can still be used. not sure on the enforceability of the clauses. 

https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/starting-new-job/non-compete-agreement

Bosman was about people no longer under contract being restricted on competing against the old club. 

Bosman was about restraint of trade. If its just a case of using the right wording, surely football would have found that wording. 

Non compete clauses still appear in contracts but they're not enforceable. 

Edited by Neil