Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

What I take from the bks booking is that, probably, there's no major act to replace Stromae. My current bet is that they will move Charlotte to close the main stage. Considering her late booking I really do think she's the best they could pull

15 minutes ago, Ohad said:

What I take from the bks booking is that, probably, there's no major act to replace Stromae. My current bet is that they will move Charlotte to close the main stage. Considering her late booking I really do think she's the best they could pull

I don't think we can draw too many conclusions from DTRH. This is a festival playing in a smaller league (Paolo Nutini and Fred Again are headlining the other days...) with a smaller budget. And booking a last minute replacement will always cost you more. They can also more easily get away with booking a smaller replacement, as they've always focused their marketing on "the weekend experience" rather than the day lineups (you can only buy weekend tickets). No to mention that they've got a lot of hype going and sold out almost instantly, so they can get away more easily with booking a smaller replacement.

20 minutes ago, Ohad said:

My current bet is that they will move Charlotte to close the main stage. Considering her late booking I really do think she's the best they could pull

I don't think it will be Charlotte. Just a few days ago they did a post about her new EP in which they mentioned (again) that we'll see her at the Barn. They didn't have to mention the Barn if moving her to the Main is their intent.  

2 hours ago, AlexR said:

I think out of the realistic options, foo fighters would be my dream (but i don't think that's too realistic) but I would be happy with either Lana or Angele (another big Belgian singer who is free) 

Lana > FF for me though. Feels like the only chance ever to see Lana at RW. 

9 hours ago, AlexR said:

I think out of the realistic options, foo fighters would be my dream (but i don't think that's too realistic) but I would be happy with either Lana or Angele (another big Belgian singer who is free) 

I'm hoping for Blur or Lana but the realist in me believes it will be a mediocre rap artist or nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matrainertje said:

Or a mediocre rock band... Stromae was something special at least. 

Blur is one of the best live bands around. And to be fair: Stromae failed to sell out the Thursday before his cancellation 😉

But to each is own. It will be a great festival the other 3 days.

• Upvote 1

If the replacement is a decent rock band, they may disappoint some of the day ticket holders that bought their ticket primarily for Stromae. At the same time they'll probably please the majority of the combi holders. 

For me and my group of friends it doesn't make much of a difference at this point. We've already made our peace that we'll be spending our evening with Iggy and Royksopp. If an act of our liking is added it will be a great bonus and if not, it's all good (and we have Blur as an appetiser just a couple of days before RW 😎). 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

If the replacement is a decent rock band, they may disappoint some of the day ticket holders that bought their ticket primarily for Stromae. At the same time they'll probably please the majority of the combi holders. 

For me and my group of friends it doesn't make much of a difference at this point. We've already made our peace that we'll be spending our evening with Iggy and Royksopp. If an act of our liking is added it will be a great bonus and if not, it's all good (and we have Blur as an appetiser just a couple of days before RW 😎). 

That's true! Won't be any trouble for me either because we're seeing Iggy Pop on Thursday anyway and will see Blur in Gothenburg later this summer. 

49 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Not sure why there is certainty here on Blur. The fact that Lokerse Feesten have not sold out shows that the interest isn't there.

There is no certainty, but they are in the area at that time and the whole place was buzzing last time they played in 2013....

3 hours ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Not sure why there is certainty here on Blur. The fact that Lokerse Feesten have not sold out shows that the interest isn't there.

Nothing implies that we'll get someone that has a "high interest" anyway, so I think that if we'll have to settle with something less then headliner material, Blur would be one of the best options to do the job. However I'm prepared to be disappointed..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, luke742 said:

As unrealistic as it might be, Foo Fighters are free, will be out of their European exclusivity deal with Rock am Ring after this weekend, and would probably shift the most tickets in a short space of time out of the options that are available

Is that how it works? You are europe exclusive until the concert itself? I would expect it to include some time after rock am ring (like until end of festival season)

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats are also out (they 've canceled most of their EU tour). Pinkpop has already replaced them with Jungle by Night.

Not a high impact of course but that Thursday main stage is becoming a puzzle for RW. Especially considering that you can never be sure that Sam Fender will show up and if he doesn't, it will be a last minute cancelation as usual. 

I assume they will be announcing all changes in one go (maybe this week?) and we might get a couple of changes during the festival again, like last year when Turnstile end up playing before Metallica.