Rock Werchter 2023

BenG92

7 minutes ago, Archi said:

For 2022, the first day to sell out was on Sunday with Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Killers. Not the Friday with Metallica or the Saturday with the young combo Imagine Dragons + Twenty One Pilots.

Hmmm...Not really. Friday with Metallica was the first day to sell out (early October) approx. 4 months ahead of any other day. The Sunday with RHCP sold out at the end of January - beginning of February:

image.thumb.png.dfc4d21ac307393efd9622bb946ed9bc.png

So I´m a bit bored so I will try to guess artists that still might be announced in the coming weeks. The following ones are free around Werchter: 
-M83

- Foals (not likely since they play New Orleans 6th of July)

- Måneskin (I know they played last year but so did RHCP)

- Mars Volta 

- Prodigy (perhaps too big) 

- Franz Ferdinand

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

7 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

So I´m a bit bored so I will try to guess artists that still might be announced in the coming weeks. The following ones are free around Werchter: 
-M83

- Mars Volta 

- Franz Ferdinand

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Can pretty much rule out Foals; they're playing Pukkelpop in August. 

Yeahs Yeahs Yeahs seem to be touring EU in August too.

Franz Ferdinand is already playing another belgian festival (Ronquieres)

M83 is a good shout indeed.

The Prodigy would be great indeed, but not sure what spot would suit them.

Maneskin would probably have been announced by now (trying to rule them out haha)

Mars Volta would be very nice!

6 minutes ago, polnico said:

Can pretty much rule out Foals; they're playing Pukkelpop in August. 

Yeahs Yeahs Yeahs seem to be touring EU in August too.

Franz Ferdinand is already playing another belgian festival (Ronquieres)

M83 is a good shout indeed.

The Prodigy would be great indeed, but not sure what spot would suit them.

Maneskin would probably have been announced by now (trying to rule them out haha)

Mars Volta would be very nice!

Ok, thanks for the update. I guess the most realistic ones are M83 and Mars Volta then. 

Måneskin would still be good for me since my daughter adores them;) 

Edited by ParanoidTourist
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

-M83

- Mars Volta 

- Franz Ferdinand

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

What about The Hives? ....or even Wolfmother, though they already have a Belgian festival booked in May...

13 hours ago, Judithmt said:

But that would be loyal fans or people that love the last 2 albums. Hope I'm wrong, but my guess it their set won't go down well with the general RW crowd who know a few of the older songs.  At Lowlands they played just a few newer ones, but the old ones got a hint of crooner as well. Crowd at the front loved it, the rest not so much. And I reckon them more of an AM crowd than Werchter. Don't know if the new album is one for festivals. Maybe if it's sunny and they decide to keep the Apero open for takeaways.

Nature of the beast I guess.

I thought they had a good crowd at Mad Cool 2018, but there was certainly a noticeable difference in energy and engagement from the TBHC stuff to the rest of it. If not quite as odd as a friend who saw them at London O2 a few months later and reported some in his section of the crowd booing that stuff.

Lowlands was before they started premiering things from The Car. Generally looks like they do 3-5 from that one. I think Body Paint should go down with a festival crowd and maybe also Mirrorball. Whether the rest do, another matter. Certainly I'm not sure anything's going down with aplomb like Do I Wanna Know? or Dancefloor.

34 minutes ago, matrainertje said:

That's very optimistic. 

I mean, they were released as advance singles. I'm less sure of Mirrorball, which is quite a slow song, but Body Paint does have a decent build-up and extended outro that made me think it might go down well. The Car does have a lack of moshpit-friendly rockers though, to the point where I feel like this more an album for grand playing in theatres with an orchestra rather than stadium and festival headlining.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

I mean, they were released as advance singles. I'm less sure of Mirrorball, which is quite a slow song, but Body Paint does have a decent build-up and extended outro that made me think it might go down well. The Car does have a lack of moshpit-friendly rockers though, to the point where I feel like this more an album for grand playing in theatres with an orchestra rather than stadium and festival headlining.

Body Paint isn't really the most catchy song, c'mon. I liked it when it came out because of the production but now I realised it has little meat to the bone there. It just plods along. 

7 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

-M83

- Mars Volta 

- Franz Ferdinand

- Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The Prodigy are playing Ireland 28-30 June and are indeed probably too big for the remaining slots.

The Mars Volta will be there I think. M83 and Franz Ferdinand are also plausible.

We should also expect more Belgian names so maybe one/some of: Hooverphonic, dEUS, Brutus, Balthazar, Triggerfinger.

Also a possibility: Rival Sons (new album out in June), The Voidz, Madrugada.

7 hours ago, Floyd_Ams said:

The Prodigy are playing Ireland 28-30 June and are indeed probably too big for the remaining slots.

The Mars Volta will be there I think. M83 and Franz Ferdinand are also plausible.

We should also expect more Belgian names so maybe one/some of: Hooverphonic, dEUS, Brutus, Balthazar, Triggerfinger.

All those would be nice additions! Perhaps we get some clues on Tuesday when Lolla Stockholm apparently makes an announcement (that festival is the same weekend as Werchter). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Lolla Stockholm (running the same dates as Werchter) just announced it´s Line Up: Lolla Stockholm

No names I´d like to see in Werchter except possibly Fatboy Slim and Mando Diao. 

Indeed, other than those two I can't see any other names I like either. I have concluded that Lollas are not to my taste. But RW doesn't really do dj sets so the chances of getting Fatboy Slim are...slim :). It would be great if he played at North West Walls during a long main stage break though.

43 minutes ago, Floyd_Ams said:

Indeed, other than those two I can't see any other names I like either. I have concluded that Lollas are not to my taste. But RW doesn't really do dj sets so the chances of getting Fatboy Slim are...slim :). It would be great if he played at North West Walls during a long main stage break though.

Oh yeah, that would be awesome. I agree on Lolla. Previous years the line up was decent enough but this year it truly sucks; both in Paris and Stockholm. 

Anyway, hope we get an announcement soon. 

7 hours ago, ParanoidTourist said:

Lolla Stockholm (running the same dates as Werchter) just announced it´s Line Up: Lolla Stockholm

No names I´d like to see in Werchter except possibly Fatboy Slim and Mando Diao. 

King Princess, Japanese Breakfast and Peggy Gou would be quality additions though. 

On 2/11/2023 at 2:16 AM, Floyd_Ams said:

dEUS and Balthazar will play Live /s Live. Triggerfinger will play their 3 last shows with Monsieur Paul in June (AB and 2 NL shows), so no RW i guess. Brutus is not on. I have no news from Hooverphonic but don't see them playing yet.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:10 PM, Floyd_Ams said:

I still don't get why RW got rid of having a "party headliner" after the main heads on some days. In 2009 we had The Prodigy after Oasis and 2manydjs after Kings of Leon. 2010 it was Faithless after Muse. Fatboy Slim would be perfect for such a spot. Don't know when they stopped doing that as 2022 was my first RW visit after 2010.

2 hours ago, johnny_rocket said:

I still don't get why RW got rid of having a "party headliner" after the main heads on some days. In 2009 we had The Prodigy after Oasis and 2manydjs after Kings of Leon. 2010 it was Faithless after Muse. Fatboy Slim would be perfect for such a spot. Don't know when they stopped doing that as 2022 was my first RW visit after 2010.

I have asked myself the same thing in the past. The concept of having a party headliner at the end of the day was great. It could be for organisational reasons and specific agreements they've made with the local public administration but most probably it's for budget reasons. Maybe the cost/reward ratio wasn't good for them.

I certainly hope it'd come back one day though.

• Like 1