Primavera Sound Porto 2023

Tigane

17 minutes ago, young_contra said:

I'm not attending so I'm just stricking up conversation, but how do you all feel about this year's venue and stages' locations? I feel that it kinda misses the charm the festival had...

I'm not totally sold that space that had the Cupra stage last year has the capability to be a "main" stage (some BIG acts on it) until I see how far back they've pushed it. Not sure the site is equipped for people marching back and forth over that metal bridge

What was the old ATP/Binance stage moving out of that wooded area is a massive shame, especially as I can't see where the loos from it have gone? Maybe Boiler Room will be there? As can't see it on the map. But the space was often deserted last year for amazing acts so maybe the move will help attendance?

Hopefully there's  more space as I felt the site could not cope with the sold out crowds last year

13 minutes ago, robith said:

I'm not totally sold that space that had the Cupra stage last year has the capability to be a "main" stage (some BIG acts on it) until I see how far back they've pushed it. Not sure the site is equipped for people marching back and forth over that metal bridge

What was the old ATP/Binance stage moving out of that wooded area is a massive shame, especially as I can't see where the loos from it have gone? Maybe Boiler Room will be there? As can't see it on the map. But the space was often deserted last year for amazing acts so maybe the move will help attendance?

Hopefully there's  more space as I felt the site could not cope with the sold out crowds last year

I don't know if the metal bridge is a permanent addition, it kind of felt like it was there to cover up some damaged terrain, but I might be wrong (edit: nevermind, yeah it's there for this year)

Space was indeed an issue last year. I can't quite tell how the new main stage compensates for that. 

I will miss the old ATP stage... I loved that place. It was so calming, especially late at night when you could just sit far back and enjoy it all. 

Edited by young_contra

7 minutes ago, young_contra said:

I don't know if the metal bridge is a permanent addition, it kind of felt like it was there to cover up some damaged terrain, but I might be wrong (edit: nevermind, yeah it's there for this year)

Space was indeed an issue last year. I can't quite tell how the new main stage compensates for that. 

I will miss the old ATP stage... I loved that place. It was so calming, especially late at night when you could just sit far back and enjoy it all. 

Think the first year it ran I saw Wolves in the Throne Room there. They played in total darkness except for a light running down the guitarist's fretboard.

Remember seeing Godspeed there, and it being really quite something

As this year will be my first PS Porto, just wondering what the fuss about the decision on moving the main stage to the other area?  Some people quite pissed off about this. How far the distance between the vodafone stage to the porto stage (the main stage)? Is it like the distance to the mordor (main stages) in PS Barcelona?

4 hours ago, Bram said:

As this year will be my first PS Porto, just wondering what the fuss about the decision on moving the main stage to the other area?  Some people quite pissed off about this. How far the distance between the vodafone stage to the porto stage (the main stage)? Is it like the distance to the mordor (main stages) in PS Barcelona?

The site is much more compact than than Barcelona, so I'd say its about 10 minutes max (but that's without the whole site going that way). 

The issue for me is the previous two alternating stages are on grass in natural amphitheatres, really cool place to watch bands (and the space for the Vodafone stage feels almost infinite). Trading that for a long fenced in area on concrete feels a massive shame

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SDNL said:

Now to play the "check the weather forecast every day and hope it constantly edges slightly better" game.

the yr.no outlook looks better than most, but still prepared for a mixed time. Which is gutting as the forecast a week ago for the fest was glorious

I think that despite the main stage's previous location being quite obviously better (as far as we can tell so far), I already had struggles last year with how packed it was. For instance, I could arrive at the main stage 5 minutes before a headliner plays and I'd manage a spot with nice visibility. That was just NOT the case last year. I can't recall the miniscule view I had for Gorillaz, all because I stayed and watched Grimes' DJ Set until its end. 

So, yeah. The organization can change the stages all it wants, for whatever reason. But last year's issue was never stage related, it's just that they made too many damn tickets available. This festival's charm, partly, is its breathing room, the relaxed nature of seeing multiple names with logistical ease. Last year I felt like I had to plan ahead a simple walk from the second biggest stage (Cupra? I forgot) to the main, otherwise I'd see next to nothing (I'm not that tall, so that's also a factor - I'm 5'6 / 172cm)

49 minutes ago, young_contra said:

I think that despite the main stage's previous location being quite obviously better (as far as we can tell so far), I already had struggles last year with how packed it was. For instance, I could arrive at the main stage 5 minutes before a headliner plays and I'd manage a spot with nice visibility. That was just NOT the case last year. I can't recall the miniscule view I had for Gorillaz, all because I stayed and watched Grimes' DJ Set until its end. 

So, yeah. The organization can change the stages all it wants, for whatever reason. But last year's issue was never stage related, it's just that they made too many damn tickets available. This festival's charm, partly, is its breathing room, the relaxed nature of seeing multiple names with logistical ease. Last year I felt like I had to plan ahead a simple walk from the second biggest stage (Cupra? I forgot) to the main, otherwise I'd see next to nothing (I'm not that tall, so that's also a factor - I'm 5'6 / 172cm)

I'm a stand at the back and vibe guy anyway, but I got to Nick Cave about 10 minutes before he came on and was like ".....oh. The very very back?". Letf to go watch black midi cos it was too busy. Watching anything on the Super Bock stage with the queue for the ladies snaking through the crowd was a bad vibe too

I've not been to Porto since 2015, so will miss the old stage in the woods and the more relaxed vibe of the festival if it is now overcrowded. Looking at the position of the new main stage on the festival map over Google maps, it does look like a bigger and wider area compared to the old main stage position, so hope that helps.  Can't wait to go back to Porto after having done Barca every edition from 2016-2022. Just hope they still do those awesome steak baguettes at the festival...can anyone confirm that was still there?

Hi guys, I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I am looking to buy some tickets and have found a seller. I have never myself used Dice to buy tickets and they are saying they need to change the name on the tickets through human tix (?) first before transferring them through Dice. Reaaaally not wanting to get scammed and feel like a rookie. Has anyone here had experience with selling/buying tickets through the platform that could explain how it works? I’ve had a look online but am still very confused. Would be much appreciated, thanks. 

10 minutes ago, SDNL said:

Looks that way.

Haven't been here during bad weather before. I'm assuming it can't get _that_ muddy.

Been when it's rained, but not every single day.

It's a park and the food court and half the stages are on concrete but worried over the days it could gte churned up

7 hours ago, young_contra said:

leg! (sorry, had to)

😂 I set myself up for that really. No sign of mud last night despite the constant downpour but will have to see what the site is like today…

4 hours ago, Han-Tyumi said:

Weather puns aside.. did anyone find any water on site? I couldn't find a water point or bottles behind the bar. 

Oh no, we got some flavoured water from the little Porto truck, but we didn’t find any water points either.