Football 2022/23

charlierc

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh here we go again...  more politics...

Good, it should be politics every single minute of the half time break, in the build up and in the analysis.

Tournament should never have been allowed and all teams should have boycotted it.

Apart from the fact it's interrupting proper football.

'Come on mate, it's Iran'

England 4-1 Iran

5c6ad66b-7c1c-43ba-863d-92a86549eafc.jpg

Shamoon Hafez

BBC Sport in Doha

I'm at the Brazil news conference in Doha which has the England-Iran game on.

At 4-0, I turned round to one of the journalists here and asked, "Are you guys scared now watching this?"

His reply? "Mate, come on. Please. It's Iran. Watch how we go against Serbia on Thursday then we can talk."

He came in for some more when Mehdi Taremi pulled one back for Iran.

"Ey, Hafez, who's scared now eh?!"

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Bore off 😄. You are worse than Gary 😄 

Proper Football is mostly owned by people just as bad as this lot.  But you don't mind when its buying you a new forward.  Hypocrite 😄 

Who do I support then?

Give you a clue it's a team with one of the lowest spends in Europe over the past few years.

You must be clean, you've been well sports-washed.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I wonder if that match breaks records for the most injury time in a World Cup match ? 

Record is apparently 28 for a football match full stop, which came in a Carabao Cup tie between Burton Albion and Bournemouth a few years ago. Though I think that was just the second half injury time, not sure if there was any first half on top.

This came to 27 minutes, so close to it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Record is apparently 28 for a football match full stop, which came in a Carabao Cup tie between Burton Albion and Bournemouth a few years ago. Though I think that was just the second half injury time, not sure if there was any first half on top.

This came to 27 minutes, so close to it.

good research 🙂 

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

This is so poor keeping him on 😞 

A few weeks ago, Aston Villa keeper Emi Martinez got a head injury during a game at Newcastle yet Villa tried keeping him on for another ten minutes when he wasn't fit to carry on and he duly collapsed. I thought that was an outrageous attempt to style out a concussion but this was pretty awful.

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

good research 🙂 

Further research suggests a game in Gaza earlier this year topped the 40 minute mark after a floodlight failure, which curiously also was the reason behind the Burton-Bournemouth example cited above.

Either way, seems to be the way that if you want a shit-ton of injury time, floodlight failure usually helps. Though tbf I counted this as 27 rather than the 24 signified as it took an age to give Iran their penalty at the end in a classic display of VAR overcomplication.

22 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Better change his shirt and respect the locals and stop making political protests then.  Or put his big boy pants on and see through his protest ?   He knew what he was doing.

Don't make a point and then cry..

At least he had more balls than the England team 🙂 

HcuZIT5w8xJLMXoISDexG1GNz5Dj7xHO_QGeueMtdPU.jpg

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh here we go again...  more politics...

If you're hoping to avoid political discussions in football, I'd perhaps recommend sticking to non-league football for a little while.

It's curious to a degree given that as I recall, political discussions didn't stay in the news for long during the 2018 World Cup despite it being in Putin's backyard meaning there was plenty of topics available for that, though this increasingly feels like the tournament that ends the idea big-level sport and politics can stay separate.

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

If you're hoping to avoid political discussions in football, I'd perhaps recommend sticking to non-league football for a little while.

It's curious to a degree given that as I recall, political discussions didn't stay in the news for long during the 2018 World Cup despite it being in Putin's backyard meaning there was plenty of topics available for that, though this increasingly feels like the tournament that ends the idea big-level sport and politics can stay separate.

yeah, so much geopolitics going on at moment, hard to avoid.

Anyway, come on USA.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Its largely just Gary Linker...  ITV pretty much avoided it and you can feel the other pundits in the BBC trying to get over it.

To me Lineker is a huge waste of taxpayers money. I don't feel strongly one way or another about him as a presenter, but if you paid someone else half the money, the ratings for BBC matches wouldn't change one bit.

I would have huge respect for him if he refused to present our of principle and gave up his salary, but like others will only make a token stand.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Better change his shirt and respect the locals and stop making political protests then.  Or put his big boy pants on and see through his protest ?   He knew what he was doing.

Don't make a point and then cry..

At least he had more balls than the England team 🙂 

Hardly a protest wearing a rainbow tshirt. You could say it is support. 

You could argue that Qatar knew exactly what they were going to get. Having one of the most major world sporting event in your country 

34 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Hardly a protest wearing a rainbow tshirt. You could say it is support. 

You could argue that Qatar knew exactly what they were going to get. Having one of the most major world sporting event in your country 

Absolutely they did. They bought the world cup with blood money to try and buy political influence and tourism.