Food prices 2022

BluePaul

22 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Oggie has to be the most sustenance per pound, of actual decent food anyway.

I really like the Oggies. Me and my wife get one each, a meat one a vegetable one then swap half with each other. Bargain when Sunday comes around. I remember one year they were going for a quid each 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

At risk of opening up a can of worms here and mortally offending the Welsh/Cornish; what’s the difference between a pastie and an oggie? 

As I understand it, traditionally the differences were that Cornish Pasty was made using beef skirt, potato, swede and onion whereas a Welsh Oggie was lamb, potato, swede and leek.

Oggie is also used in Cornwall too though, and Cornish Pasty bakers often have a lamb variant now, just as Welsh Oggie bakers often do a beef version.

Either way, the blasted things are responsible for at least 2 inches around my waistline! 😂 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, blutarsky said:

EEEA9968-4FBA-43E0-B6D0-8F7F45DE2B93.jpeg

I presume this will be a small selection of smaller dishes? 

small pot of mac

small loaded fries

That kind of thing? It’s great and should help people budget. But even a maccies meal is over £6 now so we can’t expect a decent sized and quality meal for a fiver. 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

I presume this will be a small selection of smaller dishes? 

small pot of mac

small loaded fries

That kind of thing? It’s great and should help people budget. But even a maccies meal is over £6 now so we can’t expect a decent sized and quality meal for a fiver. 

I would expect them to be mainly stodgy side dishes that in desperate times you could make pass for a meal. I'd say you are probably better off getting CoOp food some days and when you eat from a vendor try and get a proper meal if you are budgeting. 

I'll probably take a few more snacks than I usually do but otherwise will just be treating Glastonbury as my holiday. Luckily I don't drink so food is the only indulgence I need to worry about which makes it considerably more cost effective. 

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

At risk of opening up a can of worms here and mortally offending the Welsh/Cornish; what’s the difference between a pastie and an oggie? 

Half a pound of flour and rice makes a lovely Oggie,
Just enough for you and me,
Cor bugger janner. 

Oh how happy us shall be, 
When us gets to the Westcountry, 
Where the Oggies grow on trees, 
Cor bugger janner. 

This is a traditional Westcountry rugby drinking song, so I’d say the terms are pretty much interchangeable.