Arriving Friday - tips!

Jack.194

Due to working in schools, myself and two others are arriving by car on Friday evening by car. Does anyone have any tips with regard to what car park will be best to park in? We’re coming from Nottingham, and we have friends setting up our tents for us, they’re hoping to camp in Oxlyers.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

No point overthinking it - by that point you're parking in whatever car park has space left, ie wherever the marshalls send you.

Thank you! I’ve only been once before, so unsure of how the logistics of parking works.

Is there a car park that would be best to aim for, so that I don’t have to drive to another car park if it’s full? I obviously want to maximise the amount of time spent at the festival!

8 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

Thank you! I’ve only been once before, so unsure of how the logistics of parking works.

Is there a car park that would be best to aim for, so that I don’t have to drive to another car park if it’s full? I obviously want to maximise the amount of time spent at the festival!

Whether you arrive from the east or the west you will be directed to an available car park. You won't be directed from car park to car park. You're over thinking it.

21 hours ago, Jack.194 said:

I know, I agree! But as the poster below said Friday to Sunday is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all!

Hello...

I've experienced this... my advice is to make the most of it. I had the Ofsted phone call as I was about to leave for Glastonbury a few years ago (on the Wednesday), so by the time the Ofsted debrief was given it was 6/7pm on the Friday. I arrived on site just as the Friday headliners finished. I went pretty all out on the Friday, and most of the Saturday but a migraine finished me off at Pangea. I didn't drink Sunday, and drove home into the night for Monday. 

An absolute nightmare? Yes. Better than missing out completely? Undoubtedly. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Hello...

I've experienced this... my advice is to make the most of it. I had the Ofsted phone call as I was about to leave for Glastonbury a few years ago (on the Wednesday), so by the time the Ofsted debrief was given it was 6/7pm on the Friday. I arrived on site just as the Friday headliners finished. I went pretty all out on the Friday, and most of the Saturday but a migraine finished me off at Pangea. I didn't drink Sunday, and drove home into the night for Monday. 

An absolute nightmare? Yes. Better than missing out completely? Undoubtedly. 

I think my heart would sink into the floor if I had something like that crop up at the last second.

19 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

I've experienced this... my advice is to make the most of it. I had the Ofsted phone call as I was about to leave for Glastonbury a few years ago (on the Wednesday), so by the time the Ofsted debrief was given it was 6/7pm on the Friday.

Taking the thread a bit off topic, but is that how it works in schools - you've got to drop all personal plans if you suddenly get an OFSTED inspection? Seems very harsh. 🙁 

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

Taking the thread a bit off topic, but is that how it works in schools - you've got to drop all personal plans if you suddenly get an OFSTED inspection? Seems very harsh. 🙁 

One of my friends is a primary school teacher, she doesn't go to the festival anymore but when she did her boyfriend (now husband) used to come down with us in someone's car on the Weds morning and then she would turn up late Friday afternoon (we live in Oxford), then she would leave on the Sunday night straight after the headliners then her boyfriend would pack their tent up etc on the Monday and come home with us.

It always felt odd that she turned up 2 1/2 days after us and left 12 hours before we did as well, but like others have said I guess thats better than no festival at all.

Her bf used to love it as he got to have 2 1/2 days on the mash with us as well...she used to leave on the Sunday night and he would have a pill down his neck about 5 mins after she had gone 😄

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I think my heart would sink into the floor if I had something like that crop up at the last second.

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

It does when the inspection wouldn't go to well in your absence... 😂 What was worse, was minutes before the call, my friends had sent me a picture of my tent set up! In all honesty, I've been very lucky getting leave the time over the last few years, I have just have a small matter of no tickets to navigate now! 

Edited by vintagelaureate

On 2/22/2022 at 9:54 PM, Jack.194 said:

Due to working in schools, myself and two others are arriving by car on Friday evening by car. Does anyone have any tips with regard to what car park will be best to park in? We’re coming from Nottingham, and we have friends setting up our tents for us, they’re hoping to camp in Oxlyers.

Best thing is to double check where your friends are camping before you arrive then head for West car parks ( pink/orange routes for gate A or D) probably as that’s nearest to Oxylers and most of the camping is in west side of festival. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

We have tickets carried over from 2020. My daughter unluckily has her last A level exam on the Friday morning of the festival and we live in Chester! It’s the very last exam in the 6 week timetable - French! How bad is that for her. She has a week in-between the next to last one too. Also either me or my husband will have to stay behind until the Friday to drive her down after the exam finishes at 12. 

20 hours ago, Nia Wagenaar said:

We have tickets carried over from 2020. My daughter unluckily has her last A level exam on the Friday morning of the festival and we live in Chester! It’s the very last exam in the 6 week timetable - French! How bad is that for her. She has a week in-between the next to last one too. Also either me or my husband will have to stay behind until the Friday to drive her down after the exam finishes at 12. 

skip it. resit.

Yeah as people have said, by Friday it doesn't matter what car park you get directed to, but if you have a particular field in mind to camp in obviously get as close to that gate as possible. Remember you have to get out on the Monday (if you're planning to) and strategic car placement can save hours of queuing to leave the site. You could take two cars first thing Wednesday and leave one there but that's getting into serious logistics 😂

We used to bring our son for the Weds / Thurs and then drive home on Friday to drop him at my parents. We’d then get back again on Friday late afternoon. Bit naughty but we would follow the stewards until we got out of sight and then keep going until we could park nearer the way back in. There was always some space somewhere because of people leaving. But you’ll be fine whatever you do.

I think you’ll be ok finding space to camp as long as you aren’t too fussy. We found the general camping has been quieter in recent years and our theory is that so many more people are now staying in fancy camping places. However that may change this year with the cost of living having spiralled.