Another campsite question

Deaf Nobby Burton

We normally tend to arrive on Thursday because for some annoying reason most of my mates think arriving Wednesday is too long, as a result we normally end up camping in pretty much the same place which is kind of beyond the JP. This is an absolute nightmare after spending the evening in the SE corner and basically miles away from pretty much everywhere we spend our time, but at the time nobody tends to think about that and it’s just path of least resistance when we arrive.

Hopefully this year I can at least persuade some people to come on the Wednesday (what with it being 3 years since the last one) there is no way I can get them to arrive the night before, but hopefully we should be able to get there around lunchtime/early afternoon Wednesday.

I’d imagine Oxylers is full by then, but in reality I don’t think I’d want to camp there anyway, but is there anywhere around that vicinity that won’t be full around Wednesday lunchtime-ish? Also What gate is best to aim for, D? That seems the general area I think we’d like to be in an ideal world, but I appreciate we need to realistic bases on arrival time.

The dairy grounds and paines usually has a bit of space left come wednesday afternoon.  

If they are full, the south parks are the last to fill up from what I recall.  It can be a bit of a trek but it's closer to Arcadia and the SEC than your usual spot.

And yes, D gate is the one to go for.

Good luck in convincing your friends!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Skelts said:

This is insane!

I know, tell me about it! I have been on the Wednesday a couple of times, once was an absolute disaster though as it was 2016 so ended up seeing the fireworks making our way through one of the car parks on Wednesday evening. The other time when I didn’t get tickets we stayed offsite so came on the Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday are my favourite days, so it blows my mind anyone would to miss one of them, plus not to mention the issues ending up in less than ideal camping spots, which can affect your whole festival a bit as well.

19 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I know, tell me about it! I have been on the Wednesday a couple of times, once was an absolute disaster though as it was 2016 so ended up seeing the fireworks making our way through one of the car parks on Wednesday evening. The other time when I didn’t get tickets we stayed offsite so came on the Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday are my favourite days, so it blows my mind anyone would to miss one of them, plus not to mention the issues ending up in less than ideal camping spots, which can affect your whole festival a bit as well.

I think for me, the only issue with Wednesday is now its starting to become almost Tuesday as either you have to drive down in the middle of the night, sit in the car parks, or stay in a hotel/b&b locally close to the site to make sure you get a half decent camping spot.

But as you say if you don't do that (or come by coach or rail that arrives early) then you end up pitched miles from any of the action....

Edited by gooner1990

22 minutes ago, George1399 said:

This year is going to be mine and my mates' first at the farm, is somewhere like Oxylers the best spot for a bunch of 20 somethings wanting a bit of chaos?

And on that whats the best way to get a decent camp i.e. arriving tuesday night and roughing it out until the gates open?

You can’t be near everything, but it’s right next to the other stage, silver hayes (dance area) and not far from Arcadia. it’s probably about as central as you can get, but fairly intense with everything around it, so probably perfect for what you want!

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You can’t be near everything, but it’s right next to the other stage, silver hayes (dance area) and not far from Arcadia. it’s probably about as central as you can get, but fairly intense with everything around it, so probably perfect for what you want!

Sounds pretty great! Have a feeling a large amount of my time is gonna be spent at the Other stage anyway but yeah I bet its gonna be a huge step count kinda week!

2 minutes ago, George1399 said:

Sounds pretty great! Have a feeling a large amount of my time is gonna be spent at the Other stage anyway but yeah I bet its gonna be a huge step count kinda week!

If that’s the case it’s definitely the place to aim for, you can literally sit and watch the stage from your tent. 

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

If that’s the case it’s definitely the place to aim for, you can literally sit and watch the stage from your tent. 

That's pretty awesome, never experienced anything like that - the idea of just being able to go anywhere within the festival once you're in is nuts compared to the arena-based festivals I've been to.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:23 PM, George1399 said:

This year is going to be mine and my mates' first at the farm, is somewhere like Oxylers the best spot for a bunch of 20 somethings wanting a bit of chaos?

And on that whats the best way to get a decent camp i.e. arriving tuesday night and roughing it out until the gates open?

Oxylers is great for The Other Stage, Silver Hayes and John Peel.

Big Ground / Kidney mead is great for the Pyramid 

Pennard Hill is my personal favourite. it's closer to Arcadia, South East Corner and Other stage.  Park Home is a good alternative though

It really depends on where you're likely to spend most of your time, there's not too much difference in atmosphere between Oxylers and Pennard (been a while since I was in Oxylers though!) but from what I remember, Big Ground / Kidney was a little bit more laid back.

And yep, if you want to stand a good chance of getting a space in any of the above, make sure you approach Glastonbury from the right direction so you get in the queue for the Gate closest to where you want to go (Gate D for Pennard, Park Home, Oxlyers.  Gate A for Kidney / Big ground) and get comfortable for the next 8 hours!

The simple rule has to be spend a bit of time and be prepared to walk when you arrive and are fresh to get to a camping area that will suit your musical tastes and that will be closest to where you are likely to be at the end of the night.

Also make sure that your tent and gear are all fully set up before you dash off to start enjoying yourself.

When you are tired and emotional at the end of the night you don't want to have a long trek home or still have to finish setting your tent up.

8 hours ago, incident said:

Wednesday, 2014.

Probably about noon.

Oooh yeah.. an actual photo shows how rammed the campsites are.. 👍

Are you guessing with 2014? or is there some sort of thumbnail on the image or something...definitely a wednesday or thursday as the main fields are empty.. 

15 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Oooh yeah.. an actual photo shows how rammed the campsites are.. 👍

Are you guessing with 2014? or is there some sort of thumbnail on the image or something...definitely a wednesday or thursday as the main fields are empty.. 

Not a guess - it's 2014 as some of the smaller details match up.

It won't be the Thursday - the less popular camping fields are far too sparse for that. Judging by the more popular fields being close to full, but the less popular fields being nearly empty, it's realistically not going to be any earlier than 11am or any later than 2pm.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

Not a guess - it's 2014 as some of the smaller details match up.

It won't be the Thursday - the less popular camping fields are far too sparse for that. Judging by the more popular fields being close to full, but the less popular fields being nearly empty, it's realistically not going to be any earlier than 11am or any later than 2pm.

Apologies for casting 'guessing' aspersions.... nothing but knowledge and top notch detection.! (nice one!)

On 2/10/2022 at 3:19 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Interesting there is still a fair bit of space at the back of Oxylers. I’m guessing that eventually fills up? I guess it would be impossible to know it’s there without someone telling you though, so I guess a lot of people take one look and assume it’s at capacity.

They've all gone to the glamping sites lol 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We used to gravitate to oxlyers or park home, as it’s right near the old railway line (so getting back from SE is easy)… and usually filled up slowly so our entire group could drift in and camp without a problem. But, that was some time ago. In recent years these fields have been filling up much quicker…more so now that Arcadia has eaten up a massive chunk of Park Home.

Since about 2016 we’ve been generally arriving through the gates on Wednesday afternoon/early evening - and that was way too late for a spot at either, so ended up in South Park or Paines.

TBF, the location is less of a big deal for us these days. We just sleep there for a few hours and spend the entire day out and about for all the madness, which is way more enjoyable when I’m not trying to get a couple of hours shut-eye at the same time.