WOMAD 2022

westholtschic

3 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

When will we know who else is playing Thursday? Not a huge fan of Fatoumata Diarawa but would like to see the rest of the Thursday line-up before deciding whether or not to get a 4-day ticket.

There's the Selecter too.

WOMAD are pretty good at responding to messages on FB and twitter so could try that?

If memory serves me right though I'm not sure if there's a load of bands on the Thursday 

Unless things have changed since I last went in 2016, there are normally only 3 performances on the Thursday. The Malmesbury Project With Amaraterra will probably open procedings on the Main Stage, then Selector will perform in one of the tents, before Fatoumata Diarawa closes the evening on the Main Stage. That's usually the way it goes.

Edited by Chas

14 minutes ago, Chas said:

Unless things have changed since I last went in 2016, there are normally only 3 performances on the Thursday. The Malmesbury Project With Amaraterra will probably open procedings on the Main Stage, then Selector will perform in one of the tents, before Fatoumata Diarawa closes the evening on the Main Stage. That's usually the way it goes.

I reckon you've probably nailed it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 7:06 PM, dondo said:

There's the Selecter too.

WOMAD are pretty good at responding to messages on FB and twitter so could try that?

If memory serves me right though I'm not sure if there's a load of bands on the Thursday 

cant remember if I arrived on the thirs when I went. mightve got there early fri. dont think there was much on thurs

2 hours ago, Nuthugger said:

is there a posher festival than womad??

Wilderness is the obvious answer, and overall probably is, but it manifests in different ways. Difficult to explain but at Wilderness both the festival and the crowd embrace and exaggerate the perception with things like the banquets, champagne parties, etc - whereas I suspect that at WOMAD a lot of the crowd wouldn't think of themselves that way (even though yeah, most of them are).

1 hour ago, incident said:

Wilderness is the obvious answer, and overall probably is, but it manifests in different ways. Difficult to explain but at Wilderness both the festival and the crowd embrace and exaggerate the perception with things like the banquets, champagne parties, etc - whereas I suspect that at WOMAD a lot of the crowd wouldn't think of themselves that way (even though yeah, most of them are).

never been to wilderness. must give it a go 🥂

I've been to both (although many more times to WOMAD). I think they are considerably different. Wilderness is very middle class - as Incident says champagne parties, hot tubs, banquets etc. I had a good time but it's certainly not what I would have considered a 'festival' 30 years ago.

WOMAD has a family/older demographic who are much more likely to embrace a more alternative lifestyle. Quite a lot of locals attend as well. I always find the crowds at WOMAD to be very accepting of many different forms of music, as is implied by the festival name. I also think the crowds are enthusiastic. There may be lots of chairs around the main stages, but there's also a lot of dancing and general enjoyment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

APP is out with times and days and stage splits. It’s a good app  I really like  it.

But….. generally each big stage has only five acts per day with the first band on at 2pm. Does that sound fewer that normal?  Feels fewer than other music festivals I’ve been to.

Smaller venues have workshops etc in mornings and lunchtime, but I want live music from twelve, or one.

Anyone else feel there is not quite the normal amount of bands on?

4 hours ago, ian the worm said:

APP is out with times and days and stage splits. It’s a good app  I really like  it.

But….. generally each big stage has only five acts per day with the first band on at 2pm. Does that sound fewer that normal?  Feels fewer than other music festivals I’ve been to.

Smaller venues have workshops etc in mornings and lunchtime, but I want live music from twelve, or one.

Anyone else feel there is not quite the normal amount of bands on?

App now has updated times. Main stage starts at one. Siam at two. That’s better. 

And main stage has a sugarhill gap.