2023 Festival

TheWaters

2 hours ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

That can mean one person in case you lived under a rock in recent years

Even in the good ol days if you could happily use they if you were trying to keep someone’s identity to yourself…

Agree with Nathan and Chav that there was zero intention to suggest it was a band

Edited by Benj

On 8/28/2023 at 10:32 PM, Benj said:

Clearly not to the extent it used to, given ticket sales this year and tales of loads more space than usual

They may as well book a load of bands that will sell to music lovers of the rest will be filled in by those who go regardless

its where they ballsed up this year

Without your Central Cees etc you won't be selling tickets to weekend 16 year olds

The lack of big dance and rap names caused the issue this year, the headliners were 100% far too indie especially once the 1975 got added

On 8/28/2023 at 10:35 PM, andyrhodes24 said:

Yeah it just doesn’t work - what’s the point in having mixed genre days if it can’t do it’s job of enticing people into the arena for longer than half an hour.

It’s trying to be too many things and failing at all of them with this set up (bar the headliners which turned out to be a solid bunch). Clearly pre-2019 Melvin had near heard the phrase “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

The festival was selling pretty poorly from 2016-2018 to be fair

On 8/28/2023 at 10:42 PM, Andre91 said:

I’m not saying book all of those acts in one year 🙂 

Ah sorry - i misunderstood. Still, we do get some acts of a similar more rogue vein most years e.g. RATM, QOTSA, Biffy in recent years

On 8/28/2023 at 10:45 PM, Andre91 said:

It’s the undercard that has become the problem, I think. It’s just so scattergun now that it makes it hard for people to justify a day ticket to see whichever headliner they fancy. 

It seems weekend tickets did the poorest to me (especially with more tickets supposedly being over to day tickets, meaning less weekend tickets to even sell)

6 hours ago, SweetJesus said:

They’ve headlined in the past so we know their strength with it and we’re pleased with that.

So it can't be Post Malone

definitely just keeping it vague

I reckon its Post Malone too

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

The festival was selling pretty poorly from 2016-2018 to be fair

2017 camping tickets sold out in March

2018 didn’t sell out till early August though

Still much much better than this year mind given they had all the camping open

2019 sold out in early March

This is utterly appalling. They should really have some kind of littering fine in place for people leaving without their tents etc. If the tent is beyond repair (It happens; ive been there too) then atleast take it to some kind of disposal area.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-leeds-66649535

mW8Kplan?format=webp&name=large

Edited by FrogLobster

10 hours ago, Benj said:

2017 camping tickets sold out in March

2018 didn’t sell out till early August though

Still much much better than this year mind given they had all the camping open

2019 sold out in early March

Still think they will learn from this and it will be a one off honestly

36 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

This is utterly appalling. They should really have some kind of littering fine in place for people leaving without their tents etc. If the tent is beyond repair (It happens; ive been there too) then atleast take it to some kind of disposal area.

Festival republic could easily sort 90% of it out but just don't give a sh*t. its as simple as that

18 hours ago, Andre91 said:

What if I were a betting man, and were to put to you names such as Yungblud, Paramore, Dua Lipa, Drake and Queens Of The Stone Age as next year’s R&L headliners?

“You’ve lost a lot of money.”

How is the line-up for next year looking? Have you booked any headliners? 

“We have one of the headliners confirmed, and have had them confirmed for a little while actually. They’ve headlined in the past so we know their strength with it and we’re pleased with that. There are some changes that I’m looking to make – probably some slight stage changes. We don’t stand still at Reading & Leeds and like to reflect what’s going on, so there will be a couple of changes. There are always changes in the artists, but there will be to the stages as well.”

Would that be changes to the format of having two main stages?

“It’s a mix of all sorts of things, really. I’m not quite ready to announce it yet, but I’m really very excited about it.”

I reckon only Paramore from that is a headliner and the stages are being rejigged so that Yungblud will actually be a sub. I guess it's postie

17 hours ago, 19liam75 said:

Had a quick chat with Melvin on Sunday in the main arena at Reading and he told me the artist had headlined in the past 10 years. I’m going to go with Blink, seems plausible that when they announced the reunion, festival republic would’ve been quick to getting them booked

Blink is very borderline on the 10 years, I think they'll be there but not who he's talking about.

4 minutes ago, Benj said:

I think it’s something very hard to enforce.

What would be your plan to fix it?

Eco bonds etc - tons of festivals do it with good success

Its hardly a new problem - tons of festivals such as Glastonbury, Boomtown, Shambhala have actually put in a drop of effort and made a significant improvement. Reading & Leeds have done absolutely nothing

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Its hardly a new problem - tons of festivals such as Glastonbury, Boomtown, Shambhala have actually put in a drop of effort and made a significant improvement. Reading & Leeds have done absolutely nothing

Said it before and I'll say it again.

All festivals and arena events (which is what Leeds/Reading actually are) should have their license revoked until they sort this sh*t out.

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

It’s hardly a new problem - tons of festivals such as Glastonbury, Boomtown, Shambhala have actually put in a drop of effort and made a significant improvement. Reading & Leeds have done absolutely nothing

Shambhala and Glastonbury have VERY different audiences to Reading

I don’t think eco bonds would help the tent problem, indeed at Reading I reckon they’d be more likely to leave them if they can carry rubbish out instead to get £20!

The problem with the tents is theyre so cheap the kids simply don’t give a f**k. 

The only thing I can think of is some kind of deposit system where they not get it back, when they show their packed tents on the way out.

It’s utterly impractical though. I think the only way to stop it is to appeal to a different audience, at which point it’s a completely different festival 

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

It will be much much harder in reality than this but:

1. Before the event, use ticketmaster to say if you’ll be bringing a tent. If yes, pay a deposit.

2. If you said you wouldn’t be bringing a tent but turn up to the festival with one, you pay a deposit. If you don’t have a tent with you, you get a refund.

3. If you brought a tent and take it home, you get your deposit back. If you leave it, you forfeit your deposit.

4. Offer quality incentives to take rubbish to the bins in the campsites; discounts, merch, side of stage, upgrades. There were recycle points around the camps but no one is arsed.

The difficulty would be in checking/proving that you did/didn’t have a tent post event.

• Like 1

Problem you’ve got is that at 16/17 mummy and daddy will be buying a lot of the tickets and camping gear so the actual attendee couldn’t care less if they leave their stuff, they’ll get a fresh tent next year and the cycle will continue. FR need to get through to the attendee in a way that will benefit them if they recycle or impact them if they don’t

47 minutes ago, Benj said:

Shambhala and Glastonbury have VERY different audiences to Reading

I don’t think eco bonds would help the tent problem, indeed at Reading I reckon they’d be more likely to leave them if they can carry rubbish out instead to get £20!

The problem with the tents is theyre so cheap the kids simply don’t give a f**k. 

The only thing I can think of is some kind of deposit system where they not get it back, when they show their packed tents on the way out.

It’s utterly impractical though. I think the only way to stop it is to appeal to a different audience, at which point it’s a completely different festival 

Conveniently ignoring Boomtown then.....

Also you literally just described an eco bond ffs

14 minutes ago, gfa said:

Conveniently ignoring Boomtown then.....

Also you literally just described an eco bond ffs

I didn’t ignore it, Boomtown pay people to take away rubbish not their tents…

It’s classed as a eco-bond but the amount of rubbish is the same, there is no eco benefit, they’re basically just saving costs getting the punters to do it/ pay extra for it to be done!!  Don’t be fooled by such an easy cash grab 😂

The tents are the thing that’s the issue not the rubbish. The rubbish is already waste, no matter who cleans it up, the tents are not, they can be reused they are the only environmental gain…

Id say at reading encouraging kids to take out a bag of rubbish for 20 quid is more likely to make them leave their tents …

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, gfa said:

They certainly haven't done enough, but the introduction of eco camps last year and expanding them this year is at least a step in the right direction tbf. Heard they were left almost completely spotless. Other than literally having police on site Monday morning to arrest people for littering, I don't know how the festival can actually force the kids to pack up their tents. Like Benj said, eco bonds are difficult to implement successfully. 

Was at Reading this year and last. The carnage left behind is depressing. The amount of poor little pop up tents left behind.. in some spots it was like every tent was abandoned, quick look at it looked like a normal campsite but then you realises there's no one there and just doors left open with litter everywhere.

It's not just the cheapness of tents that's the problem, either. Seen lots of bigger, £100/200+ tents abandoned, some slashed up/crushed. Last year saw several DOWN sleeping bags torn open and feathers all over the place... that was especially upsetting as had been saving up to finally upgrade to a down bag myself. 

What are these parents that buy this stuff for the kids and don't question why it isn't coming back with them... the parents should enforce some "bring it back or no more festivals" thing, with disregard to any fake sob story the kid might tell.

The festival should be more active on the campsites themselves campaigning about taking stuff home and environmental aspects of it all, and also about respecting the camping items, respecting other people's property. Respect seems so rare. At the moment it just seems like "green washing".

All Sunday night I could hear things being smashed and ripped and annihilated around our tent but not once heard any staff/police stepping in and trying to stop it. 

Also, they could get the performers engaged, the only artist I heard about saying anything regarding No music on dead planet was Billie Eilish.

Do think some enforcement is needed but in the end, really, to create a permanent change, they need to think ways to create a shift in the mentality of the kids, that destroying stuff and abandoning it isn't something standard funny and peer encouraged, but a thing that if peers see it happen, it gets called out by said peers.

• Like 1