2023 Festival

TheWaters

11 hours ago, VCK said:

I've not seen much about this. If it turns out to be true it would be very underwhelming but then like Biffy and The 1975 they're always a crowd pleaser, they've got a huge rapport with the festival and they're British so more reliable without all the hassle of the logistics of flying them over, and probably cheaper too. I think Royal Blood or Kasabian would be better choices for acts of that nature.

Obviously depends who else is available but they might be hesitant to book Royal Blood after their paddy at Big Weekend with the same audience demographic. Any of the three would suit me mind you

12 hours ago, northernangel said:

They've just outsold all of them easily.

Exactly, plus the fact that there were genuinely few second handers on Twickets in the week of the show compared to other arena-level acts hints those that wanted to see them really wanted to see them. Or at least that's just my excuse for why I couldn't acquire one.

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Obviously depends who else is available but they might be hesitant to book Royal Blood after their paddy at Big Weekend with the same audience demographic. Any of the three would suit me mind you

Royal Blood went down a storm at Glastonbury so they sort of redeemed themselves there. I doubt it'll happen, not this year anyway, but they're another band who have an affinity with the festival, despite how much it has changed in recent years.

12 hours ago, VCK said:

I've not seen much about this. If it turns out to be true it would be very underwhelming but then like Biffy and The 1975 they're always a crowd pleaser, they've got a huge rapport with the festival and they're British so more reliable without all the hassle of the logistics of flying them over, and probably cheaper too. I think Royal Blood or Kasabian would be better choices for acts of that nature.

Kasabian are playing Victorious in Portsmouth that Saturday so they're unavailable.

Were there any big rumours doing the rounds as to who it could be? 

4 minutes ago, VCK said:

Royal Blood went down a storm at Glastonbury so they sort of redeemed themselves there. I doubt it'll happen, not this year anyway, but they're another band who have an affinity with the festival, despite how much it has changed in recent years.

They were very well received before Muse at Milton Keynes Bowl as well that weekend, but yeah, they seemed to go down very well there, and given it's pretty much the same kinda slot as they did when they subbed 1975 in 2019, it wouldn't be that far out a suggestion. Plus R&L comes in a break between their Muse/festival commitments and a September American tour.

41 minutes ago, VCK said:

Always enjoyed watching them so they’d be a very welcome addition for me. The smaller venue tour they’re doing for the album could open up the possibility.

Also never understood the sh*t they get from rock fans.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

I heard them, it sounded decent. My feet were dying though so took it as an opportunity to just laze around the village/cider bus area chatting. I did see them last time they played 3rd though so I didn't really miss anything.

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Always enjoyed watching them so they’d be a very welcome addition for me. The smaller venue tour they’re doing for the album could open up the possibility.

Also never understood the sh*t they get from rock fans.

They’re an utterly dull one trick pony of a band.

That said it’s a trick that works well live but would be an utterly uninspiring headliner

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

They were very well received before Muse at Milton Keynes Bowl as well that weekend, but yeah, they seemed to go down very well there, and given it's pretty much the same kinda slot as they did when they subbed 1975 in 2019, it wouldn't be that far out a suggestion. Plus R&L comes in a break between their Muse/festival commitments and a September American tour.

Courteeners and Royal Blood being mooted as MSW headliners does properly make a mockery of the two main stage thing

Both have got smaller since being plain old subs and now we’re meant to believe they’re headliners 🤣

£300….Being taken for absolute mugs

13 minutes ago, Benj said:

They’re an utterly dull one trick pony of a band.

That said it’s a trick that works well live but would be an utterly uninspiring headliner

The current R&L crowd aren’t the target market but they are good at what they do. Can’t see them doing it as they’re not universally popular

1 minute ago, andyrhodes24 said:

The current R&L crowd aren’t the target market but they are good at what they do. Can’t see them doing it as they’re not universally popular

Hahah, fair play to them.

They are good at what they do, theyre simply not headliners people are going to get slightly excited about though. Esp if youve already seen them 3-4 times

1 hour ago, Benj said:

Hahah, fair play to them.

They are good at what they do, theyre simply not headliners people are going to get slightly excited about though. Esp if youve already seen them 3-4 times

That was a B side from the first album as well. Shame they’ve fizzled out like a lot of bands do that initially burst onto the scene. They’re a solid sub at best and I say that as a fan.

44 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a more dull live  band than Royal Blood. They may be worse than Kings of Leon.

Completely outclassed by The 1975 in 2019.

I’ll always talk them up and dislike The 1975 but I’d agree with that, they’re not headliner material in the old format or the new one.

57 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That was a B side from the first album as well. Shame they’ve fizzled out like a lot of bands do that initially burst onto the scene. They’re a solid sub at best and I say that as a fan.

I’ll always talk them up and dislike The 1975 but I’d agree with that, they’re not headliner material in the old format or the new one.

They definitely could have been bumped up at some point in the old format but I feel that ship has now sailed. MSW headline at best for them.

6 hours ago, Benj said:

Courteeners and Royal Blood being mooted as MSW headliners does properly make a mockery of the two main stage thing

Both have got smaller since being plain old subs and now we’re meant to believe they’re headliners 🤣

I don't think stature is the sole problem so much as it is the fact they've been everywhere extensively in the last few months. They're a logical enough idea for the nature of this MSW/MSE concept, but I can't say it's the most exciting given recent overexposure. And I say this as someone who likes Royal Blood and enjoyed their set opening for Muse.

49 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't think stature is the sole problem so much as it is the fact they've been everywhere extensively in the last few months. They're a logical enough idea for the nature of this MSW/MSE concept, but I can't say it's the most exciting given recent overexposure. And I say this as someone who likes Royal Blood and enjoyed their set opening for Muse.

With this I wouldn’t even say they’re a safe booking, just an easy, uninspiring solution.

Got a feeling FR will go for someone equally uninspiring and divisive but completely leftfield

52 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

With this I wouldn’t even say they’re a safe booking, just an easy, uninspiring solution.

Got a feeling FR will go for someone equally uninspiring and divisive but completely leftfield

I think that's as much the issue. If this was Royal Blood's only UK gigs of the summer, it'd be seen as a bit easy but equally might still have a novelty to it due to them not playing elsewhere, but they've done Glastonbury and 3 nights opening for Muse in the UK, and still have TRNSMT, Truck, Y Not, Kendal Calling and their own show on Brighton Beach, plus a theatre tour for October. That's pretty extensive UK touring, almost to the point that makes you wonder if they actually might prefer the time off.

Plus who knows, maybe they're being kept in reserve for 2024.

8 hours ago, Benj said:

I remember when I said to my wife that Killers are playing, we should go. She asked why not just their own show? 

My answer was all about "camping, great people blah blah" 

I realised i was willing to pay £600 for 3 nights no showers and sitting on a toilet bowl of sh*t, for the fun of camping. I could pay £40 in Porthcurno and have a beautiful sunset and ocean view.

8 hours ago, VCK said:

They definitely could have been bumped up at some point in the old format but I feel that ship has now sailed. MSW headline at best for them.

They've never played a show anywhere close to the size of a (pre-21) Reading headline set

Just watching Carti at Wireless, would've been a brilliant Reading healiner. 

Much more "Reading" than any other headliners this year, or the last few...

(will prob be removed so watch when you can)

7 hours ago, Benj said:

There is no way he actually sounds like that.

Shame no one filmed it for when it does get taken down!

12 hours ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I can see it already: 

“revealing your final reading and Leeds 2023 headliner… one republic!” 

Edited by Will b

7 hours ago, Benj said:

Look at all them mobile phones 😂 I’m so glad that’s not caught on in the rock/punk community (yet). 

8 hours ago, Benj said:

It's a great karaoke, isn't it? I like Carti, his shows have lots of energy but he's nowhere near Kendrick, Tyler or prime Kanye.