New arena layout with two main stages - Reading

Benj

4 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Or, it’s just one main stage that’s double sided 🤯🤯

while one act performs on ones side, the other acts sets up on the other and then it rotates around and they can start playing

So two stages, side by side. Like lots of European festivals have. It’s nothing new and groundbreaking. It works very, very well for a lot of festivals abroad. 

It’s not going to be one giant stage twice the size of the normal one with bands only using half of said giant performance space. 

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

So two stages, side by side. Like lots of European festivals have. It’s nothing new and groundbreaking. It works very, very well for a lot of festivals abroad. 

It’s not going to be one giant stage twice the size of the normal one with bands only using half of said giant performance space. 

No, one stage with two sides, like a Lazy Susan, that spins so you can get what you want 😂😂

3 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

No, one stage with two sides, like a Lazy Susan, that spins so you can get what you want 😂😂

Nah... 

Also, I had to Google wtf a Lazy Susan is. Is this a well known thing? I’m 28 and feel like this is something I possibly should have been aware of before one minute ago...

18 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Nah... 

Also, I had to Google wtf a Lazy Susan is. Is this a well known thing? I’m 28 and feel like this is something I possibly should have been aware of before one minute ago...

I mean I’ve only ever used one once, in a very nice Chinese restaurant that I can’t remember the name of. I think you could ask the majority of the population what it was and they’d say an EastEnders character 😂😂

In a serious term my thoughts were they’d move the original main stage. I go to Reading and my thought would be that where the FR is you’d have MS1 and opposite similar to where the bar next to the Dance stage you’d have MS2. Then everything else can fill in the field next to that as all the vendors move to where the old main stage was

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

In a serious term my thoughts were they’d move the original main stage. I go to Reading and my thought would be that where the FR is you’d have MS1 and opposite similar to where the bar next to the Dance stage you’d have MS2. Then everything else can fill in the field next to that as all the vendors move to where the old main stage was

That would make it north and south, there’s also that line of trees (not a problem I imagine) and also a significant dip down from the main stage area to the FR tent and bogs down there (prob more of an issue)

if the do go end to end, I think the situation of the second main stage level with where the dance tent is the most likely scenario. 

my main aversion to the idea is that, again with the assumption of just a few minutes between acts, that some of the atmosphere will be lost, the anticipation of an act starting will be gone, as those who want to be down the front, migrate between spots endlessly

Yeah I see what you mean, I think you can still have some sort of anticipation. For instance I’d go down the front for CATB, but if everyone who wants to go down the front for Stormzy is down the front for the other stage anticipation will still build

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Yeah I see what you mean, I think you can still have some sort of anticipation. For instance I’d go down the front for CATB, but if everyone who wants to go down the front for Stormzy is down the front for the other stage anticipation will still build

What if you’re a big fan of both?

There will also now be a 80 min wait or so as opposed to the 40-50 min norm. 

I guess it will still be shown on the big screens and pumped out the sound system at the other stage?  So maybe better than just being sat about.  Again it’s that was part of the build up though, the wait. 

Pros and cons I imagine, I shall keep an open mind!

22 minutes ago, Benj said:

What if you’re a big fan of both?

There will also now be a 80 min wait or so as opposed to the 40-50 min norm. 

I guess it will still be shown on the big screens and pumped out the sound system at the other stage?  So maybe better than just being sat about.  Again it’s that was part of the build up though, the wait. 

Pros and cons I imagine, I shall keep an open mind!

That’s the dilemma isn’t it, LG or QOTSA as a priority is a tough one for me. But I guess we’ll see what it’s like. I doubt we’ll know what any of it looks like until much closer to the time

1 hour ago, Gerard the Fab said:

That’s the dilemma isn’t it, LG or QOTSA as a priority is a tough one for me. But I guess we’ll see what it’s like. I doubt we’ll know what any of it looks like until much closer to the time

Yup maps haven’t been coming out till a week before or so of late and this is the first major change for 4-5 years. 

I guess if there’s a second big eff off stage going up we should get a rough idea from locals 2-3 weeks out as to its rough location, which should give the game away

14 minutes ago, Benj said:

Yup maps haven’t been coming out till a week before or so of late and this is the first major change for 4-5 years. 

I guess if there’s a second big eff off stage going up we should get a rough idea from locals 2-3 weeks out as to its rough location, which should give the game away

We may also get a rough idea when we have more artist announcements and the poster spits the lineup into stages etc.

2 minutes ago, foolee said:

We may also get a rough idea when we have more artist announcements and the poster spits the lineup into stages etc.

Yup the presence or otherwise of a proper second stage and size of bands on it will reveal a lot. 

20 minutes ago, Benj said:

I can drive past on scouting missions as soon as it starts to be built. Pictures and all if needs be.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gerard the Fab said:

Wilkinson for one I reckon, I say this more as a prayer as I’m desperate to see Afterglow live 

Guess you could swap Crucast out for Wilkinson, i'm certain that Solardo and MK will headline that stage though, unless MK manages to bag a slot headlining the R1 but i think he'd of been more suited for that slot in 2017 rather than now

MK and Solardo were both down to headline the Dance Stage on the 2020 lineup so I would certainly assume they will be doing the same now. 

If the Radio 1/NME Stage is still a thing, I’m thinking that the headliners could be AJ Tracey, YUNGBLUD or Charli XCX and someone else. I do, however, expect them to be on the Main Stage as the R1 possibly makes way for the second Main Stage. 

6 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Really really hoping the R1 Survives, if it doesn't I don't think we will get a lot more decent sized names

I also hope it does but I don't think they will. They can technically fit double the amount of acts on the main stage now. I just hope some of the names already released aren't main stage. For example KSI could headline the 1xtra