news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

furlough was affordable  wasn't too much of a load. also better than death.

furloughs and lockdowns are to blame are straight out of the right/libertarian bottom.

yes it was expensive, but it saved a lot of jobs, was necessary to keep health services from being totally overwhelmed, and was a one off that would be paid off over time.

The problems we have now is from supply lines getting all messed up during and post covid, Russia invading Ukraine, brexit, and a bit of wild trussonomics...and already struggling public services from a decade of tory fuckedeconomics.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I think Presidential and midterm elections are different, in that these are perhaps closer to MP elections - it's electing Senators, Reps, Governors etc rather than Presidential ones. But it's a mess, and yeah, as said, Trump losing a 2024 election and running around claiming he was really the winner can only end badly, especially if he has a lot of allies willing to put a partisan thumb on the scale that weren't there in 2020.

I think it's all going to end badly in US. Too far gone. I think we need to distance ourselves from them...trouble is...money.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

furloughs and lockdowns are to blame are straight out of the right/libertarian bottom.

yes it was expensive, but it saved a lot of jobs, was necessary to keep health services from being totally overwhelmed, and was a one off that would be paid off over time.

The problems we have now is from supply lines getting all messed up during and post covid, Russia invading Ukraine, brexit, and a bit of wild trussonomics...and already struggling public services from a decade of tory fuckedeconomics.

It’s also worth remembering that if we had gone into lockdown earlier on all 3 occasions then the lockdowns wouldn’t have needed to be as long. It’s on Johnson for all of them. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s also worth remembering that if we had gone into lockdown earlier on all 3 occasions then the lockdowns wouldn’t have needed to be as long. It’s on Johnson for all of them. 

i blame the 2nd one for my illness, as that hit 2 months into the 2nd lockdown.

Edited by Neil

10 minutes ago, Neil said:

i blame the 2nd one for my illness, as that hit 2 months into the 2nd lockdown.

Do you think your illness was a side effect of having Covid?

Just now, Ozanne said:

Do you think your illness was a side effect of having Covid?

might have been, covid is known to cause blood clots.

the docs didnt think so, they found a blocked artery.

Just now, Neil said:

might have been, covid is known to cause blood clots.

the docs didnt think so, they found a blocked artery.

i like to wonder if i can blame covid.

Excess deaths are currently higher than they were during covid. All the undiagnosed cancers, cancelled ops and gp blood pressure checks are starting to filter through. It will also apparently get worse before it gets better.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Excess deaths are currently higher than they were during covid. All the undiagnosed cancers, cancelled ops and gp blood pressure checks are starting to filter through. It will also apparently get worse before it gets better.

It was never about deaths, more about keeping health services running.

There were never any easy answers, they could have just let it go and see what happens and hope for the best,  but could possibly have been a disaster and totally unacceptable to the public. I am not pro lockdown or restrictions at all, think they were a disaster, especially for young people, my kid was massively affected. But, I do understand why they did them, despite all the social/economic warnings, and also it's why I'm willing to cut Johnson some slack on some it.

11 minutes ago, lost said:

It's not just health service failures causing the excess deaths, deaths due to respitritory complaints, the biggest cause of death in oldies, about stopped while we wore masks, and are now reoccurring. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

...and the furlough thing was a quick fix to a looming crisis to prevent mass unemployment. Easy to blame furlough, but without govt support we'd be a in a lot worse state I reckon. Just need sound governance afterwards, which we haven't been getting.

Wasn't really about avoiding unemployment. It was about covering the costs of businesses which had been forced to close. 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It was never about deaths, more about keeping health services running.

We kept limited services running. Stuff like cardiovascular treatment has never had a waiting list but we created one shutting it down. Here seems to be where most of the deaths are and a lot of these people waiting will continue to die:

6033-CDAF-9582-466-C-9-BE9-FD7-C4-DCC580

3 minutes ago, lost said:

We kept limited services running. Stuff like cardiovascular treatment has never had a waiting list but we created one shutting it down. Here seems to be where most of the deaths are and a lot of these people waiting will continue to die:

Maybe we should have had a stricter lockdown to keep these things running better.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

And knock on effect from that is jobs.

Yeah, but covering costs was a more immediate reason, otherwise businesses wouldn't have closed

12 minutes ago, lost said:

I got some very radid heart treatment during the peak of COVID.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe we should have had a stricter lockdown to keep these things running better.

If Trump doesn’t run it’ll probably be DeSantis for the republicans specifically for the way he ran Florida during covid. For no repeated lockdowns, health service running and lower death rates than many lockdown states.

Edited by lost

23 minutes ago, lost said:

If Trump doesn’t run it’ll probably be DeSantis for the republicans specifically for the way he ran Florida during covid. For no repeated lockdowns, health service running and lower death rates than many lockdown states.

There is no health service for him to be running, that would be communizum. 

6 hours ago, Ozanne said:

He does and whilst the Tories might be thinking this is a clever move to stitch up a future Labour government it’s easily dealt as Labour can just ask where the cuts are coming from. Then if the Tories have no answer Labour can claim the Tories have no idea what they are doing. 

Someone’s been reading Sam Freedman’s tweets! Sam, is that you?!