news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Audience member - 'Liz, how important is it to balance the books?'

Fuck me, still going on about this rubbish. A countries economy isn't like your household credit card. 

Tbf that audience member then tore into Truss.

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Yes he did, without sounding rude that doesn’t have anything to do with the current issue.

I was pointing out that the BoE raising interest rates is an awful move right now.

The Tories point was separate. 

its a necessary move, and by the boe being independent, it means the govt is off the hook for the pain of the interest rate rise.

its that sort of thing which makes nationalised industries a bad thing for the govt of the day, because there's always a price rise to be made.

Just now, steviewevie said:

couldn't bring myself to watch, way too depressing...you think he was the winner?

Yeah I'd say so, he had the best performance and defended his record pretty well. Truss fell apart when Burley pressed her on this public sector pay policy she u-turned on. However neither of them had an answer to the rising energy bills.

seeing as the economy is going down the toilet and will probably stay there for a while...and Truss (or Sunak?!) will likely get a bounce in the polls....and labour will probably look all divided abd fucked with protesters screaming at starmer during his speech at conference...autumn election anyone?

I’m all for it. This isn’t a case of avoiding paying for the bills. If you cancel your direct debit you’ll be sent a letter to pay it manually for what you’ve physically used. Enough people cancelling their DDs at the same time will put massive pressure on the energy sales provider. They make a lot of money from customer monthly direct debits. a lot of the time they’re overestimated and they make a fortune off the interest from all the cash sat in their bank accounts and not ours. 

They can start rethinking their practices and put pressure on the government to step in. 

Cancel your DD’s. 

12 hours ago, steviewevie said:

seeing as the economy is going down the toilet and will probably stay there for a while...and Truss (or Sunak?!) will likely get a bounce in the polls....and labour will probably look all divided abd fucked with protesters screaming at starmer during his speech at conference...autumn election anyone?

what we need is a riot, while the weather is good, no need saving it till winter.