news & politics:discussion

zahidf

19 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’ve pointed that out on my local team’s forum and a more moderate Tory has jumped to his defence: “Alan Sugar isn't employed by the BBC nor does he work for them as a freelancer so anything he says cant be interpreted as representing the BBC or its views.”

What’s the difference?

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I have no issue with Karen Brady having pro Tory views. I think Huw Edward and Chris Mason have to be more neutral. I don’t think it’s hard to draw the line.

What about where sport and politics cross like say trans women in women sports?

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I asked that and he gave some wishy-washy defence of how he’s not paid by the BBC so nobody would think he represents their views. I said that it’s the same for Lineker.

Seems like he’s grasping at straws there. 

For those who can’t understand Linekers point about language, one holocaust survivor seemed to have similar concerns a couple of months ago.

When I hear you using words against refugees like ‘swarms’ and an ‘invasion’, I am reminded of the language used to dehumanise and justify the murder of my family and millions of others.

“Why do you find the need to use that kind of language?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Seems like he’s grasping at straws there. 

You should see some of the nonsense the right wingers on there are spouting about how this shows the “absurdity of free speech” and Gary’s “extreme left wing views”.

Labour’s cautiousness is a concern. Sending Thornberry and Cooper out to condemn lineker before this wave of solidarity and then changing tack.

They are misreading the public mood. There is a lot of bottled frustration with the tories’ rigging of the system. The one thing Corbynism succeeded in between 2015 and 2017 was capitalising on that frustration.

These moments are when election momentum is made. Labour have missed the boat, pardon the pun.

19 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Labour’s cautiousness is a concern. Sending Thornberry and Cooper out to condemn lineker before this wave of solidarity and then changing tack.

They are misreading the public mood. There is a lot of bottled frustration with the tories’ rigging of the system. The one thing Corbynism succeeded in between 2015 and 2017 was capitalising on that frustration.

These moments are when election momentum is made. Labour have missed the boat, pardon the pun.

they just said they didn't agree with comparing govt policy to that of germany in the 30s...not that he's not allowed to express these opinions...did they?

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they just said they didn't agree with comparing govt policy to that of germany in the 30s...not that he's not allowed to express these opinions...did they?

He’s just trying to change the subject to shift the attention to Labour. Ignore him.