news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I agree. But they did. And now what do you do if the Donbas is recaptured by Ukraine but inhabited by pro russian people?

The word you are looking for is liberated not ‘recaptured’. Odd choice of language considering it’s Ukrainian territory anyway. 

17 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Does that relate more to countries though and not regions in a country

No I think it gives them the right to do as they please. Although the geopolitics of a region breaking away and joining another state rather than independence obviously makes it less common. The falklands and gibraltar have held referenda to determine whether they should be under the control of the UK or argentina, and the UK or spain respectively but both voted overwhelmingly to remain under British control.

Could happen with a united Ireland of course.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe the people who fled will go back? Maybe those pro russian people won't be so pro russian anymore?

But yeah, could be messy.

Whole thing is fucked.

Yeah thats the thing, if it were me I would probs choose not to go back to live in burnt out towns to live cheek by jowl with those who were slaughtering them not long before. And then what? As you say, a big old mess.

It might well be that the Donbas locals would prefer to be ruled by Kiev of course, in which case all this is moot. But this little thought experiment only seeks to reflect on the point that lasting peace can only be achieved by the consent of the people, not at the point of the sword, regardless of how justly the sword is being swung.

Reckon sunak might be screwed, he's in an impossible position with the new NI protocol, its bound to have ECJ oversight which won't be acceptable to the brexit headbangers. 

Edited by Neil

6 hours ago, Neil said:

Reckon sunak might be screwed, he's in an impossible position with the new NI protocol, its bound to have ECJ oversight which won't be acceptable to the brexit headbangers. 

yeah, frustrating. The whole point of the Good Friday Agreement is that it reached a compromise which kind of kept both sides happy and UK and Ireland being in EU helped with that...brexit screwed it though so a new compromise has to be reached...there now needs to be some border checks, there is no getting round that...and where and how these checks happen is the issue.

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

...and this deal was the oven ready deal that Bojo used to help win that election...then he said it was infact a shit deal and needs to be ditched...and now he's undermining Sunak's efforts to resolve it. Shameless.

Labour is promising closer alignment to the EU. Starmer will speak to the Farmers Union today or this week sometime, take a look as it will likely give a good idea how under a Labour government will move closer back to the EU.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I Recently went for a meeting in Manchester with my client and spent the day working in their hot desk environment.  Was packed with younger workers who are choosing to work in that environment and travel.  It's interesting. I guess us older ones are screwing them over a bit by not being around to help them.

I have big concerns in the NHS for home working. What I am noticing is new starters feeling unsupported and isolated because they don’t have that network when everyone was in the office. While it’s true you can have teams meetings, you miss so much from those informal chats, listening how your colleague deals with a situation on the phone and even just a colleague noting your not yourself and offering that emotional support. There are pros and cons, but I think some people underestimate the negative side.

15 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have big concerns in the NHS for home working. What I am noticing is new starters feeling unsupported and isolated because they don’t have that network when everyone was in the office. While it’s true you can have teams meetings, you miss so much from those informal chats, listening how your colleague deals with a situation on the phone and even just a colleague noting your not yourself and offering that emotional support. There are pros and cons, but I think some people underestimate the negative side.

yes, for the sake of the nation's mental health we need to get back to the office.

21 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

My mate homework's for the NHS. He knows a whole team who were home working during lockdown and then they found out at the end they didn't have laptops 😂 another who has moved internally from a role that had oncall to one without and he's still getting his oncall allowance a year later and hasn't a clue who to tell.

18 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You should just be grateful to have an appointment these days :😜

hospital's still seem to be working well, I'm into hospital tomorrow to start a new volunteering role, really looking forwards to it(might re-meet some of those gorgeous nurses who cared for me). 🙂 

Edited by Neil