news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Lancashire polic are making a total mess of the Bulley search...  disgusting the way they released this information about her that doesn't help the search at all.  Victim shaming it feels like.

BBC News - Nicola Bulley family wants end to public speculation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-64665835

Unbelievably shit from the police

I really can't see what Sunak has got to gain by not even negotiating properly with the unions...especially RCN. Govt aren't going to win this..I mean they can get away without meeting any union demands..but at what cost? This could have been an easy win for Sunak, but now I guess he feels he needs to see it out.

We need a new government.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I really can't see what Sunak has got to gain by not even negotiating properly with the unions...especially RCN. Govt aren't going to win this..I mean they can get away without meeting any union demands..but at what cost? This could have been an easy win for Sunak, but now I guess he feels he needs to see it out.

We need a new government.

Ithink the nurses might be about to blow their support from the public by not covering a & e, etc. Seems a bit extreme, anyone who stops and thinks about it will understand that escalating the impact is the only way to get a settlement. 

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

Ithink the nurses might be about to blow their support from the public by not covering a & e, etc. Seems a bit extreme, anyone who stops and thinks about it will understand that escalating the impact is the only way to get a settlement. 

yeah, the whole PR thing will be on overload as gets closer...blame the govt, blame the unions etc etc. Just don't do anything risky on those days...

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Well put another way: all the pro-indie, pro-trans rights folk left Wings a while ago given how hard Stu went on that issue, leaving just the pro-indie, anti-trans rights folk left.

(The whole thing made me very sad, as I grew up reading Stuart Campbell's video games journalism and he was quite brilliant. Guess similar to how many feel about Linehan now)

whsat i'm saying is if they were pro-indie they weren't sane cos the indie proposition was full of holes.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Am I correct in thinking labour Corbyn supporting MPs would not be allowed to endorse Corbyn or campaign for him in the election, or risk losing their right to stand as a labour candidate.

ou're correct, members are not allowed to do stuff to the detriment of labour candidates.

I'm entirely pro self-ID for gender, but I do acknowledge that it does make single-sex spaces unenforceable at best and pointless at worst.

To make self-ID viable we do need to re-assess why single-gender spaces exist and how to ensure the benefits of those spaces are maintained. It's not a simple problem but it's not an impossible one either. If all the energy spent with TERFs and trans-supporters fighting each other had been directed there, it would probably have been solved by now.

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Just happens this in on the BBC News main page...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-64671767

Just goes to show what happens when males are allowed free access to spaces women are existing in.  Its fucking dangerous.  Men are fucking disgusting.  Women deserve more protection not less.

Guy picked on the wrong women mind 😄 

We need more protection and safety measures in place to stop things like this happening. A sign saying "women only" wouldn't have helped a single bit here though would it?

And that's not to say there are *no* circumstances in which it does help. Such signposted spaces do, for example, empower a group of women to forcibly act against a single man trying to enter the space. Nor do I entirely buy the line that any man who is criminal enough to be willing to assault a woman would be happy to ignore a "women only" sign. It's far more complicated than that.

But it's impossible for a sensible conversation to be had about how to resolve that, when instead you get arguments like this one, when having s single-gender space would have made absolutely no difference.

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

If all the energy spent with TERFs and trans-supporters fighting each other had been directed there, it would probably have been solved by now.

there's a lot of wasted energy because the discussion is not allowed to happen, because the trans activists know the solution is the one sturgeon arrived at when circumstances forced a solution.

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But it's impossible for a sensible conversation to be had about how to resolve that, when instead you get arguments like this.

Its not good when people try to close down any debate with calls of transphobe. You get situations as in Scotland where people are not given any information and then when they get some it all blows up and you get a massive backlash.

Same with these clinics, I hadn't a clue what was going on. I know the Tavistock one was closed down in the uk and if this article about what's going on in the US ones was happening in the UK I can see why:

https://www.thefp.com/p/i-thought-i-was-saving-trans-kids