news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I bet you 100000000 pounds that won't happen.

It might surprise you but I don’t have that type of money to spare. Soz. 😞

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, a tenner then.

They're having their little rebellions now, by tomorrow they'll fall in behind Sunak.

They're waiting for either a monumental f**k-up by Starmer, some tax cuts to be seen in a paycheck so they can go on the "he'll take money out of your pocket" attack line, or some random world event to give them a chance to say things are better.

Stuff like the poll Frost commissioned, this rebellion etc. is all just internal party politics to try and shift their position into even more immigrant-hating.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, a tenner then.

They're having their little rebellions now, by tomorrow they'll fall in behind Sunak.

A tenner the bill fails or Sunak calls an election?

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

They're waiting for either a monumental f**k-up by Starmer, some tax cuts to be seen in a paycheck so they can go on the "he'll take money out of your pocket" attack line, or some random world event to give them a chance to say things are better.

Stuff like the poll Frost commissioned, this rebellion etc. is all just internal party politics to try and shift their position into even more immigrant-hating.

what will stuff labour are the local govt debts which they can't afford to sort out.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Yep Manc council debt a lot higher than they thought.

Same in Kent, and its district councils too.  Its no surprise after having their settlements cut by 70% by the tories though. 

26 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

£97 billion pounds worth of debt loaded up on the councils.  Its a massive story that is hardly getting any real headlines.  Its going to need to be sorted.

govt can't afford to take the debts on or to increase council funding to stop things getting worse -  so its going to get lots of headlines as the problems explode.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

My mega low fix rate mortgage expires in 2026 so they should stay really high until then.

You’ve won a watch there. My bro and sis are both fixed till 2027 in the region of 2 percent it’s a great position to be in. Always sensible to fix long term when IRs were ludicrously low, I hope he don’t return to rates of near 0 ever again, it’s bad in the long run.

Cheapest rate you’re gonna get now is somewhere around 4 percent for a mortgage.

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Back in 2008 I bought a house on a five year fixed stepper.  So the rate stepped from 5% to 7% or something.  Was a good deal at the time.  Then boom!  everything dropped and i was stuck on that deal.  Totally sucked 😛 

This time I won 😛   1.6% fixed for five years until June 2016.

Its all guess work really but what was clear is during those ultra low numbers people where fixing for like 2 years and then shaving off an extra 0.5% or something.  Made no sense really.   Long term fixes where the key.

When we come off this I am hopeful its all dropped to around the 3% region.  So its going to hurt but not as much as we have seen recently.  The era of ultra low mortgages is over but I am hopeful (from a personal point of view) the ear of low mortgages isn't quite done.

My saving grace is my LTV is getting really low now so I have more power even if high.

It’s hard to tell what will be the situation by 2026, all I know is I wouldn’t expect cuts to interest rates within the next 6 months. Once inflation is actually dealt with then probs some small drops. I think somewhere in the region of 4 percent is a good place for them to be.

All depends on the state of the economy  really. We’ve obv avoided recession so far (barely) but it’s hardly a rosy picture.

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

For me it’s all about if I put money into savings or over pay the mortgage.   

Put it in savings until your fix expires then use the lump sum when you renew. Can get better interest in savings than what your low fix is atm so makes more sense. Great position to be in.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I am also "only" ten years or so off 55 when I can release money from my pension (if everything stays the same)

I'm the same but I think it tracks the state pension by 10 years doesn't it.. so state goes to 66 private to 56? Been overloading it with bonds for the same reason over the last 6 months.

14 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

While we can piss and moan about settlements etc its been a really nasty story of terrible management by the councils.    Poor investments into shopping centres and even banks.  Real sh*t stuff.

theres been some very bad investments, the report also said many have been good and earned many councils decent  money.

cos a labour govt won't be able to give councils more, the problems will get worse as councils do what they can to try and survive financially.

19 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Watched 20 days in Mariupol yesterday. A documentary film crew capturing the first 20 days of the war in Ukraine.

It’s brutal, shocking and absolutely heartbreaking.

Trailer here:

ooh...heard that was very good.  Where did you see it?