news & politics:discussion

zahidf

47 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Love cassette boy ... think ive probably been at the last 10 or so ...... wonder what might happen to cassette boy with a change of govt ? id presume they carry on ? .... I mean alan sugar and the torys would still exist 

A labour govt would not be immune to satire.

• Upvote 1

Presumably as mortgages go up so will rents which will make it even harder for first time buyers to save any kind of a deposit... the whole housing market needs some sort of shake up really or the government needs to meet/exceed their targets on housebuilding.  

4 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Presumably as mortgages go up so will rents which will make it even harder for first time buyers to save any kind of a deposit... the whole housing market needs some sort of shake up really or the government needs to meet/exceed their targets on housebuilding.  

I don't believe there's a housing shortage in the UK

The 2021 census data, released this week, smack down the myth of a “housing shortage” in this country. The idea there was a such a crisis began in the late 1990s when mid-year population estimates suggested that England’s population, and the population of certain of its regions, had grown so much more rapidly than the stock of dwellings that in England as a whole, and more acutely in regions such as London, there had come to be fewer dwellings than households.

When the 2001 census data came out, the population of England and Wales turned out to be around 900,000 fewer than anticipated. The result was that, in fact, there was no shortage of dwellings in any region. Far from it – the surplus of dwellings had increased over the 1990s. That pattern was repeated in the 2000s and the 2021 census data shows that it was repeated in an even more extreme way in the 2010s.

The percentage of dwellings that are “excess” (i.e. in excess of the number of households) in England has accelerated markedly over the 2010s. That is true not only for England as a whole (up from 4 per cent of dwellings being excess in 2011 to 6 per cent in 2021) but for every region within England. Indeed, there is an especially marked rise in London (up from a 2.7 per cent excess in 2011 to 6.7 per cent in 2021).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/30/no-housing-shortage-britain/

4 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

Needs a correction, but in a way that doesn't cause too much pain.

Hasn't Truss said she's going to rip up stalinist house building targets...but also said she will get rid of woke  regulations preventing building on nice green places where all the birds live and also near where all the anti growth nimby tories live.

Can't see major rent rises myself, infact I think we are moving into a period where energy and food costs will take a bigger proportion of a persons wages vs say rent.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Its that 80 majority which makes me doubt something early. But yes that majority was built on the back of the red wall who voted for brexit to try and get some protection from the hyper-globalisation they've been subjected to over the last 20 odd years and now the Tories are doing the exact opposite. Doesn't take a genius to work out why they are polling so badly. 

The latest it can be is very early 2025, i think like January 2025? Doubt that would happen, who wants a Jan election. Maybe September 2024 or something. 

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Needs a correction, but in a way that doesn't cause too much pain.

I don't see a way that this is possible. People are mortgaged up to their eyeballs on cheap money, the only way house prices were going down was if interest rates went up. That's gonna lead to some negative equity and pain for some people regardless.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

I know nothing about how house may or may not benefit owners. Never been involved in the housing market and never will.

Tend to agree about folks only caring about their house value.

It’s basically a monthly outgoings thing. When peoples fixed rate mortgages expire then they’ll be put on a much more expensive fixed or variable rate mortgage. As monthly outgoings are stretched as it is this will mean things will be even more difficult for many people as their mortgage payments will ballon in cost too.

I don’t think it’s a worry about the value of the property it’s about affording to live in their house. 

Just now, Skip997 said:

Refreshing to read.

All i usually hear is the opposite.

I love where I live and I want others to be able to buy their own home which is much easier with lower house prices. 

Those of you wanting low house prices are still in the transient state of your lives. Do you think you’re in the house you’ll spend the rest of your life in?

A lot of those worrying about house prices falling probably won’t move again, they just want what they own to keep increasing it’s value. Highly selfish but it will be why they vote Tory. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Those of you wanting low house prices are still in the transient state of your lives. Do you think you’re in the house you’ll spend the rest of your life in?

A lot of those worrying about house prices falling probably won’t move again, they just want what they own to keep increasing it’s value. Highly selfish but it will be why they vote Tory. 

I can’t say for sure as I don’t know what might happen but right now I would be perfectly happy living in my flat for the rest of my live.

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What ended up being labelled the dementia tax by labour seemed pretty fair to me.

You don't pay a penny whilst your alive but this asset that's increased in value without you doing anything that you don't need when you are dead goes some way to pay for your care in old age. The public hated it.

Edited by lost

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I'm way too old to be in "the transient state", but am not a house "owner", nor will I ever be.

No idea where I'll spend the rest of my life but it won't be here.

I want low house prices simply so that some folks who want a house may have half a chance. Plus house prices are absolutely ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Reckon I am there for life, may have to move in old age maybe . Still want prices to fall. Far to high it's mad

10 minutes ago, lost said:

What ended up being labelled the dementia tax by labour seemed pretty fair to me.

You don't pay a penny whilst your alive but this asset that's increased in value without you doing anything that you don't need when you are dead goes some way to pay for your care in old age. The public hated it.

Isn't that what happens now. 

Edit, ignore me just gone back and refreshed myself on what it was

Edited by fred quimby

5 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Reckon I am there for life, may have to move in old age maybe . Still want prices to fall. Far to high it's mad

They really are far too high. Trying to get on the mortgage ladder these days is so difficult. 

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Isn't that what happens now. 

Yes but the way it was framed during that election. I'm simply pointing out this whole house price thing that has been a weird obsession for this country is exploited by both parties and I get that's how democracy works you have to say things people want to hear.

I also believe it was Gordon Brown who took hose prices out of the inflation index and replaced them with rents.

19 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

who knows but if i move somewhere bigger and house prices have fallen then that house will have also fallen by the same % and a bigger amount in £s .... anything ive got after I retire will be spent on living if i have to move elsewhere as my pension is gonna be shit 

15 minutes ago, lost said:

yeah, they shouldn't have announced it during an election campaign...got ditched and was actually a progressive way of funding social care which desperately needs it (and still does). Any tax is unpopular unless it just effects the rich only..