news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Sounds sensible. Raising interest rates is the mechanism to combat inflation when it’s driven by high consumer confidence not when it’s supply issues like now.

16 minutes ago, lost said:

UN calling for central banks to stop hiking rates and governments to use price controls instead

They don't have a choice, they've been way too low for too long

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sounds sensible.

Does it yeah? Let's just let the pound crash and make all our imports even more expensive, that'll help. You just don't want to pay more on your mortgage, be honest.

Kwasi Kwarteng has blamed the “pressure” of the Queen’s death for mistakes in the mini-budget which has plunged the Tory party in crisis.

“We had a nation in mourning and then, literally, four days after the funeral we had the mini-budget,” the chancellor said.

“It was a high speed, high pressure environment and we could, as David Cameron used to say, have prepared the pitch a bit better.”

Mr Kwarteng also sparked fresh confusion over his next financial statement, saying: “It’s going to be 23 November,” – despite the Treasury briefing it has been brought forward to October.

And he said the scrapping of the 45p tax rate for top earners has merely been “postponed”, before correcting himself to say: “We have decided not to proceed with it.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/kwasi-kwarteng-mini-budget-queen-death-b2195185.html

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sounds sensible. Raising interest rates is the mechanism to combat inflation when it’s driven by high consumer confidence not when it’s supply issues like now.

it's difficult...they want to try and stop inflation getting too high, despite it being mostly driven by supply side...but at same time if they keep rising then chances of recession and more pain increases.

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's difficult...they want to try and stop inflation getting too high, despite it being mostly driven by supply side...but at same time if they keep rising then chances of recession and more pain increases.

Exactly. One of the issues with the economy is people not spending as much because bills are so high and wages aren’t rising as quickly. So the BoE raising interest rates would add to that issue from my limited understanding of it. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Exactly. One of the issues with the economy is people not spending as much because bills are so high and wages aren’t rising as quickly. So the BoE raising interest rates would add to that issue from my limited understanding of it. 

yep..but they're worried about inflation...it's almost as if they want a short mild recession to help limit and then bring down inflation.

Edited by steviewevie

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yep..but they're worried about inflation...it's almost as if they want a short mild recession to help limit and then bring down inflation.

Oh yeah I know they are worried about inflation. My point is that people don’t have much money as it is so doing this could make it worse.

My prediction is....I have no idea!....but would she really call an election with them polling so badly?! Either she'll get kicked out and they'll get Sunak or Mordaunt or even Johnson in as leader...or some how she'll stagger on, maybe after booting out Kwarteng and uturning on a bunch of stuff and bigging it up on the culture war stuff. But...who knows?!?

Edited by steviewevie