news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

I admire your optimism, I really do.

It’s because I can genuinely see a chance for Labour and Conference feels to me like it’s going positively for the most part. It might all go wrong but with how things are in the country and the potential winter we have coming up we could see a different picture in a few months.

*disclaimer* my optimism has been proven very wrong before. See - I thought Glastonbury would go ahead in 2020 & 2021 😂

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s because I can genuinely see a chance for Labour and Conference feels to me like it’s going positively for the most part. It might all go wrong but with how things are in the country and the potential winter we have coming up we could see a different picture in a few months.

*disclaimer* my optimism has been proven very wrong before. See - I thought Glastonbury would go ahead in 2020 & 2021 😂

yeah, I was thinking that tory conference would be a post pandemic brexit and boris party, but events may sour that a bit! I expect they will look a lot more united than labour though.

Edited by steviewevie

The conferences when Corbyn was leader were fairly successful in showing unity weren't they? Can't remember that well. I do remember his first one and he was obviously new to it all, reading out prompts from autocue he shouldn't be etc., but that kind of made him more endearing, something different, less polished.

I'm old enough to remember when Kinnock took on the left/militant types in his speech in early/mid 80s, really brave, some people cheering, some booing, some walking out, drama. Starmer would never do that. Kinnock was a great speaker, shame he he didn't actually win.

And, talking about conference speeches, remember May's from a few years ago...the cough, the P45, the letters fallng off behind, now that was amazing. I actually felt really sorry for her during that, despite her being tory scum.

Edited by steviewevie

Anyone wondering why the NHS is struggling, from where I'm sat there's endless make work going on. They can't cover the basics but they can arrange endless appointments for things you don't know you need or they don't say why they think you neeed them. 

Paul Mason thread (I like Paul Mason, although he has pissed many off on left for supporting starmer and daring to be critical of Corbyn's handling of antisemitism, but he knows that labour needs to be a broad coalition of left and centre and everything inbetween...and doesn't like way Starmer is taking things over recent weeks. I just like his cheesy leftwingness, and his optimism).

On 9/27/2021 at 11:32 AM, fraybentos1 said:

Had no idea you voted Nandy! Thought you’d have been an RLB man all day long?

By fringe views I meant being further left than almost all of the electorate, which I think is fair to say is true.

Tbh as much as I’d love PR and Labour sometimes flirt with the idea. They will never implement it. No party is gonna vote to destroy themselves and their nice safe seats. Why would they?

RLB was just a bit shit. Thought Nandy was the one to unite the party, stay on a decently left course, make the case for a better brexit and win back the red wall. Wasn’t to be. But tbh she may well have betrayed her voters too. Its difficult to trust anyone who isn’t red or dead after Starmer’s Judas act.

So long as PR is in the gift of the PLP  you’re probably right. Its stacked full of slippery careerist fuckers.

Its comical that Chuka Umunna and Luciana Berger left Labour when at risk of being deselected, joined the change independent w*nks and then when that wasn’t working joined the lib dems, and then after all that have ended up doing PR, washing the dirty corporate laundry for JP Morgan and Edelman. Pair of jokers. These are the moulds of the people Starmer wants to stuff his PLP with, his government with. The slimiest careerists going. Professional w*nkers.

On another note - saw the Bakers union disaffiliated from Labour after 120 years being a founding union. Party of workers my arse. Party of little geeks and wannabe Goldman Sachs advisors.

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 1