Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

Just now, dentalplan said:

Resale coming up.

Talking of Rodders, I don't think she'll do the Pyramid. They'll underplay her on the Other I reckon.

God you’ve been having some pretty poor takes recently. o rod is pyramid through and through I think.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Resale coming up.

Talking of Rodders, I don't think she'll do the Pyramid. They'll underplay her on the Other I reckon.

Trust me no amount of convincing will get him to go, this year is probably the best chance he has too if lots of people really are giving in their tickets

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dunno they did book Fatboy slim who I’d say is smaller than bicep now 

Fatboy Slim is a completely different convo though. It was a thing for the anniversary. Plus he does actually do arenas when he's not pissing about at The Blues Stage and would be much better known at Glastonbury.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

God you’ve been having some pretty poor takes recently. o rod is pyramid through and through I think.

Why?

Her tour seems to be routed through smaller venues than she usually could do. Seems weird for them to then say "ok now put her on the biggest stage in the world".

There are plenty of female pop acts on the bill that they will have to spread around, rather than concentrating them mainly on the Pyramid as you're predicting. Look at it like Sigrid's slot from 2019. Or Lorde in 2017 who I was told would cause major catastrophe on the Other Stage for being too big a draw and then apparently no fucker seemed to go.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fatboy Slim is a completely different convo though. It was a thing for the anniversary. Plus he does actually do arenas when he's not pissing about at The Blues Stage and would be much better known at Glastonbury.

Why?

Her tour seems to be routed through smaller venues than she usually could do. Seems weird for them to then say "ok now put her on the biggest stage in the world".

There are plenty of female pop acts on the bill that they will have to spread around, rather than concentrating them mainly on the Pyramid as you're predicting. Look at it like Sigrid's slot from 2019. Or Lorde in 2017 who I was told would cause major catastrophe on the Other Stage for being too big a draw and then apparently no fucker seemed to go.

Because Olivia Rodrigo is way bigger than all of those right now and had huge success in the UK. One of the best selling albums of 2021 and two number 1 singles.

She will be on a lot of peoples must see lists because this is the first time to catch her. She will fill that pyramid crowd easy.

Plus, O Rod will be a BBC coverage darling the weekend of the festival. El pointo is the only place for her.

Also we need to drop this small venues point it doesn’t mean anything. She’s just signed up to play one or the biggest festivals on the planet. 

Edited by Matt42

19 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I don't see any chance Florence is doing Wilderness, too small a festival for her to be at. Jamie XX played it.

24,000 last year and with space for more if they choose to expand, so it's probably unlikely as it'd be a bit of a stretch without that expansion, but not quite impossible.

The "X played there previously" approach is bullshit, as I'm certain you know, so I'm not sure why you rely on it.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Because Olivia Rodrigo is way bigger than all of those right now and had huge success in the UK. One of the best selling albums of 2021 and two number 1 singles.

She will be on a lot of peoples must see lists because this is the first time to catch her. She will fill that pyramid crowd easy.

Plus, O Rod will be a BBC coverage darling the weekend of the festival. El pointo is the only place for her.

Also we need to drop this small venues point it doesn’t mean anything. She’s just signed up to play one or the biggest festivals on the planet. 

Yeah and she can play the not-biggest stage there. What's stupid about that?

Billie Eilish did it ok while being similarly massive. Obviously there were some sad circumstances that facilitated that move to the Other Stage but I don't think they'd have put her on the Pyramid if planning from scratch.

If anything the trajectory move is to do the Other and then headline the Pyramid a couple of years later.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah and she can play the not-biggest stage there. What's stupid about that?

Billie Eilish did it ok while being similarly massive. Obviously there were some sad circumstances that facilitated that move to the Other Stage but I don't think they'd have put her on the Pyramid if planning from scratch.

If anything the trajectory move is to do the Other and then headline the Pyramid a couple of years later.

What on earth are you on about since when was the other stage an intimate venue? Who are you and what have you done with dentalplan?

If they want Olivia to play but keep her crowds low that is just not happening. She’s probably one of the most popular acts on the bill.

Just now, Matt42 said:

What on earth are you on about since when was the other stage an intimate venue? Who are you and what have you done with dentalplan?

If they want Olivia to play but keep her crowds low that is just not happening. She’s probably one of the most popular acts on the bill.

It's not an intimate venue but it's not the biggest stage of all. If her agents are looking at a crawl to the top (the venues, yes) then they're gonna be looking at how Stormzy and Billie did slots on the Other Stage on their way.

I feel like you see what I mean and quite possibly agree, but you're shooting it down now so you can push it as your own theory in three weeks' time.

11 minutes ago, incident said:

24,000 last year and with space for more if they choose to expand, so it's probably unlikely as it'd be a bit of a stretch without that expansion, but not quite impossible.

The "X played there previously" approach is bullshit, as I'm certain you know, so I'm not sure why you rely on it.

It's not bullshit lol, unless a festival rapidly increases in size then it gives you an idea of what size and who can be afforded for acts.

It's not an intimate venue but it's not the biggest stage of all. If her agents are looking at a crawl to the top (the venues, yes) then they're gonna be looking at how Stormzy and Billie did slots on the Other Stage on their way.

I feel like you see what I mean and quite possibly agree, but you're shooting it down now so you can push it as your own theory in three weeks' time.

No I don’t infact I seriously disagree and won’t budge. Her tour was extremely underbilled and sold out in one minute. She’s one of the biggest acts in the world right now and about as pyramid material as it gets.

She will have been booked for the pyramid and with the pyramid in mind. If her team doesn’t want her to perform infront of big crowds (which is a huge reach based on nothing) she wouldn’t have signed up to play.

Wherever she goes she will get one of the biggest crowds of the weekend because she’s that IT girl.

Not saying this at all.

She would have a big crowd on the Other Stage, and can put that on the resumé when looking at the top job next time out.

I just think o rod is a bigger deal than all the other sub etc examples you’ve shared. I think the focus here is different - getting a big pop act to play the festival on the pyramid stage who can’t command much higher than 4th down etc because she can only play a 45 min set max.

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It's not bullshit lol, unless a festival rapidly increases in size then it gives you an idea of what size and who can be afforded for acts.

In this instance, we are talking about a festival that's gone from 15,000 to 24,000 between 2018 and 2021, and with plenty of space to go further. Whether that's rapid or not is subjective, but it's not impossible that the scale of acts changes with that.

10 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I don't buy that they're bigger than Justice at their peak, either. Maybe about par.

Justice were a reliable major festival booking worldwide + We Are Your Friends is a Hey Boy Hey Girl-level über-anthem. Bicep's noodling atmospheric breaks don't cut it down the local student union in the same way.

Bicep on WH just feels like a match.

Could Justice not have headlined Other at their peak? I don’t actually know when their peak was but we were discussing them headlining Other (iirc we had info on it) in 2017 for ages which felt like it was past their peak. They don’t seem to have played a main stage at Glasto other than that.

I don’t really know how big Bicep are as they’re not my thing really but they seem bafflingly popular across the board with people my age (mid-20s). Surely bigger than Rudimental were in 2015.

3 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Could Justice not have headlined Other at their peak? I don’t actually know when their peak was but we were discussing them headlining Other (iirc we had info on it) in 2017 for ages which felt like it was past their peak. They don’t seem to have played a main stage at Glasto other than that.

I don’t really know how big Bicep are as they’re not my thing really but they seem bafflingly popular across the board with people my age (mid-20s). Surely bigger than Rudimental were in 2015.

Hmm it’s tricky as Rudimental did have a few UK #1s. Bicep don’t have anywhere near that kind of exposure. 

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I just think o rod is a bigger deal than all the other sub etc examples you’ve shared. I think the focus here is different - getting a big pop act to play the festival on the pyramid stage who can’t command much higher than 4th down etc because she can only play a 45 min set max.

She is bigger. The festival doesn't just sort all the names by biggest to smallest and book like that though. The National DID play after Katy Perry. It happened.

That's a good point about the set length too actually. Put that in the evidence for the Other Stage slot.

Just now, dentalplan said:

She is bigger. The festival doesn't just sort all the names by biggest to smallest and book like that though. The National DID play after Katy Perry. It happened.

That's a good point about the set length too actually. Put that in the evidence for the Other Stage slot.

We are going to have to agree to disagree but my view is that this is an exposure slot for O Rod. A big pyramid slot for 45 mins in the afternoon. An entire pyramid crowd singing drivers licence. The BBC giving her set a massive amount of coverage.

Pretty much the biggest exposure you can get at her stage. Enough to put the place in a good stead if she becomes a headliner.

15 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

God yeah, almost like something got in the way in between? Can't think what.

I didn't do away with those bands. And it doesn't mean you can't book equivalently. No one would have questioned what what booked that year at all.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

In this instance, we are talking about a festival that's gone from 15,000 to 24,000 between 2018 and 2021, and with plenty of space to go further. Whether that's rapid or not is subjective, but it's not impossible that the scale of acts changes with that.

It's not no but as a general case, right now Wilderness wouldn't get her exclusively and there is not much else she can do.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:10 PM, Matt42 said:

She's a pyramid act through and through, perfect for BBC coverage getting her infront of a fat off crowd blasting her new single that will probably be used for the coverage

Also she's an international act coming over for the festival, and playing no other UK festival slots. It's gonna be something worthwhile

This is some uncanny valley shit.