Primavera Sound 2021

chilirocker

9 hours ago, Nesser said:

I still think is June or bust. Can't see another push, economically nor emotionally. I guess all they (and we) can do is wait and see how things develope. Let's say February.

Yeah after the controversy with the moving dates and then moving them again this year I really don’t see them trying it for a third time. June 2021 or no festival at all until 2022, but I’m leaning much more towards it happening now.

Wouldn't it be more economically devastating for them to go 2019-2022 without a festival than to just delay it 2 months? Their core staff cannot surely survive 3 years on bread and water...

I'm of the view that it HAS TO happen in 2021 and therefore will happen in one shape or other in June or August. I wouldn't be surprised if the lineup is diminished due to cancellations but is still considered a great success - sold out due to pent up demand and the best atmosphere of any edition due to pent up emotions.

• Upvote 1

on top of what @xxialac said - I think unlike last year, I think they are more prepared for the option of postponing to August, and also they can make the decision earlier.

And obviously it's better to all parties - PS, the artists, Parc del Forum and even the city of Barcelona, that it will happen in 2021, they all had a rough year financially and need something to happen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

on top of what @xxialac said - I think unlike last year, I think they are more prepared for the option of postponing to August, and also they can make the decision earlier.

And obviously it's better to all parties - PS, the artists, Parc del Forum and even the city of Barcelona, that it will happen in 2021, they all had a rough year financially and need something to happen

Yeah. Spain has been the worst performing economy in 2020 in Europe (in the whole of Europe, not just the EU). 

The fightback starts here...

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

He's also seemingly pulled Bilbao BBK in July whilst still playing other dates round then.

Not a good omen but maybe not a bad one either.

Or maybe the merch people are talking about has just normal tour dates on it and not festivals? 

I wasn't planning to see bad bunny but i think it's the best act they could book from the regaetton trap wave. Or maybe they have rosalia ready to fill in with the new album... I don't know 

Edited by whos3000

6 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

Or maybe the merch people are talking about has just normal tour dates on it and not festivals? 

I wasn't planning to see bad bunny but i think it's the best act they could book from the regaetton trap wave. Or maybe they have rosalia ready to fill in with the new album... I don't know 

Think I remember seeing Werchter on it.

Rosalia would be a great option!

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Think I remember seeing Werchter on it.

Rosalia would be a great option!

Couldn't care less about Bad Bunny...but the merchandise also says Lisbon (Portugal), and he is not announced for Lisbon but for MEO Sudoeste Festival in August (which is not in Lisbon, but in Alentejo). So, maybe just means nothing.

37 minutes ago, MeMeMeM said:

Couldn't care less about Bad Bunny...but the merchandise also says Lisbon (Portugal), and he is not announced for Lisbon but for MEO Sudoeste Festival in August (which is not in Lisbon, but in Alentejo). So, maybe just means nothing.

It's some sort of gimmick. His next album is called 'Last Tour of The World'', acting like he's going to retire....wouldn't read too much into it. 

32 minutes ago, Nesser said:

Ministy of Health says next summer won't be 'back to normal': massive vaccination to come on third/fourth quarter of 2021, if so.

Feel like a broken record but you don't need to have mass vaccination to start to open up society. Spain is the same as everywhere in Western Europe with this timing.

Protecting the most vulnerable will happen earlier than Q3/Q4 - and that's a really major step towards normality.

Once in place, it's then easier to take certain measured risks.

e.g. you can have non socially-distanced events/activity, based on testing.

• Upvote 1

I know it would be a pain for lots of people but you would think an August festival would be 90% likely to go ahead where an early june one may only be 50% - 60%.

if i ran an event that even had an option to move to late summer i would be doing it and selling the move as ensuring we have an event this year.

if we’re not festivalling outdoors in europe in august something drastically  bad will have gone wrong. Axe the Auditori for one year and the pre/post indoor gigs and you have a 100% outdoor event that surely should be able to go ahead.

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

I know it would be a pain for lots of people but you would think an August festival would be 90% likely to go ahead where an early june one may only be 50% - 60%.

if i ran an event that even had an option to move to late summer i would be doing it and selling the move as ensuring we have an event this year.

if we’re not festivalling outdoors in europe in august something drastically  bad will have gone wrong. Axe the Auditori for one year and the pre/post indoor gigs and you have a 100% outdoor event that surely should be able to go ahead.

I agree with you, but it's just too early to make this decision. Last year they postponed when? mid April? So they still have time.

I dont think they'll wait that much as some of us need to book flights, I think sometime early February they'll need to decide

Yeah it will be around february when most summer festivals have to either say they will go ahead, postpone, or pull the plug. I doubt it will be as late as march/ april like this year as unrecoverable fixed costs will start to mount from around Jan/Feb and lord knows no one will be paying for those unless they are sure

Edited by Memory Man

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Yeah it will be around february when most summer festivals have to either say they will go ahead, postpone, or pull the plug. I doubt it will be as late as march/ april like this year as unrecoverable fixed costs will start to mount from around Jan/Feb and lord knows no one will be paying for those unless they are sure

Unless they can secure reasonably priced insurance (maybe even subsidised/covered by the local govt?)

Insurers are very good at assessing risk so if the risk is deemed low the premiums will be too.

That said, do agree with those on here saying more likely/more prudent to go for August.

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Unless they can secure reasonably priced insurance (maybe even subsidised/covered by the local govt?)

Insurers are very good at assessing risk so if the risk is deemed low the premiums will be too.

That said, do agree with those on here saying more likely/more prudent to go for August.

But they won't. Cancellation insurances were ridiculously high even before the pandemic broke out. There were also reports of insured festivals (for example Hellfest) not getting anything due to the terms of the contracts.

Edited by Newjem

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

The insurance thing is very interesting. If governments could help underwrite it would (provided they do go ahead) be a fantastic boost to the economy, ensuring they happen.

it only ensures they happen if the govt ensures they happen by not banning them. Otherwise the govt costs itself the costs of planning festivals which don't happen.

Which is why I think it's unlikely govt is going to underwrite covid cancellation insurance.

I think festivals are going to have to carry the covid cancellation risks themselves if they want to try and go ahead. The vaccine roll-out decides how significant that risk is.