When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JB15 said:

I do think that, as a nation, we don’t understand measuring risk anymore, and risk profiles change. The risk to the nation of covid now is not the same as January. 

But we should have been in a better position than we are now. 

we are in the process of trying to determine the risk....

7 minutes ago, JB15 said:

More questions need to be asked about why there hasn’t been an acceleration in our vaccination programme. 

The data shows the cases are increasing, but also clearly shows the vaccines are working well. We should be in a position to unlock more, not even think about rolling anything back, and yet again our government has failed us by not accelerating and over promising with under delivering 

Touched on this last night. And the risk calculation between AZ jabs and blood clots has inherently changed, yet nothing has been done to get these in arms either. Delay incoming,  entirely avoidable.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I can’t really see anything other than a delay now, probably for a month to get more people fully vaccinated and to try to get on top of the rising prevalence of the virus. Cases are rising, hospital admissions are increasing now too this is all with step 3 of the roadmap; I can’t see how we can press ahead with a full unlocking when it’s like this. 

In hindsight, we'd probably have been better off delaying step 3 by a couple of weeks, then Delta would have been much more likely to stay a bit more contained at this vital juncture, allowing the virus to pull ahead in the virus Vs vaccine race.

I did support it at the time, but it does seem like, in my region at least, that we really needed more people vaccinated before opening all indoors hospitality.

It's probably politically unfeasible at the moment to increase restrictions, but a delay is completely in line with was the government have been saying since the roadmap was first announced. It's not moving the goalposts, the virus has moved the ball.

Bolton is dropping off very slowly - surely with a full unlocking it has a good chance of resuming its growth? And we can't implement "special measures" everywhere.

I'm still going with my prediction from a few* weeks ago - a delay of roughly 5 weeks before full unlocking.

* I can't remember when I first said this, might not be that long ago, things are moving fast.

My mental health has gone down the pan again recently with the resurgence of COVID. Feels even worse to be so close to the end and it be snatched away entirely avoidably for some reason, as perversely at least with the last lockdown it was patently obvious where things were headed and we were and needed to be in for the long haul again whilst getting vaccinated. This just feels so much more uncertain with so much written on both sides about how we may fare going forwards with a much more transmissible variant that has at least rendered vaccines less effective. 

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've never found that calling someone a c**t makes them less c**ty. It certainly doesn't help raise the level of debate.

True...I mean I wasn't really adding to the debate though...just stating that Baz is a c**t.

Anyway...on topic...isn't Biden great, and I think we'll get a delay to the roadmap of 2 to 4 weeks.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

True...I mean I wasn't really adding to the debate though...just stating that Baz is a c**t.

Anyway...on topic...isn't Biden great, and I think we'll get a delay to the roadmap of 2 to 4 weeks.

certainly id give him a 9/10 rating for his start to office ...

2 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

My mental health has gone down the pan again recently with the resurgence of COVID. Feels even worse to be so close to the end and it be snatched away entirely avoidably for some reason, as perversely at least with the last lockdown it was patently obvious where things were headed and we were and needed to be in for the long haul again whilst getting vaccinated. This just feels so much more uncertain with so much written on both sides about how we may fare going forwards with a much more transmissible variant that has at least rendered vaccines less effective. 

Yeah, it's the hope that kills you...but the vaccines are good, and we'll get there...we just need a bit more time to get more people jabbed. When you look back it's actually amazing that we got multiple working vaccines so quickly,  I really didn't expect we would have this time last year and for a while I actually thought we might be a bit fucked...but I think we'll be good in a month or so. Just need to jab the world. So, hang on in there.

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

It's just a bit of a crunch - like the bump Israel had coming out of their lockdown, except it's going to be considerably bigger because of Delta - yet it's still going to be a bump and then... We're really going to be looking very good indeed once we're through it.

The youngsters don't need 8 weeks to get good protection, they barely need 2. Jab jab jab and we'll be good... Just not quite yet.

For anyone who has ever been involved in a major project with high risk, getting this close to hitting the deadline from a start several months ago is really quite good. And anyone who has been on such a project knows that it feels a bit endless at this point - and that the project was actually nearly done, just needed another extension and push.

We'll be good - we will. It's close.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, it's the hope that kills you...but the vaccines are good, and we'll get there...we just need a bit more time to get more people jabbed. When you look back it's actually amazing that we got multiple working vaccines so quickly,  I really didn't expect we would have this time last year and for a while I actually thought we might be a bit fucked...but I think we'll be good in a month or so. Just need to jab the world. So, hang on in there.

Could you imagine if the vaccines really did take 18 months before they started to be rolled out? We would be so fucked.

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I think it'll be a 2 week delay, back benchers probably won't approve of the month long plan and I wouldn't be surprised if we did an additional 5 million people in that relatively short amount of time so hopefully that'll get us on the right track 

2-4 week. And I think if can't be a 'MAYBE LONGER' delay. Has to be a 'we open up on this date regardless ' type thing. 

27 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I understand this view, but I fear the same reasoning will be made in another few weeks, when the Nepal variant or another comes our way, and it will be let’s delay some more and get some more people vaccinated. On the same rates we have many months to go before everyone is fully vaccinated. 

I get what you mean but in this instance we are close to offering every adult their first dose and my the end of the summer every adult will have been offered 2 doses. That’s why any extension of restrictions now is different, 2 doses works really effectively so we need to get as many done as possible before unlocking any further in my view. 

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In hindsight, we'd probably have been better off delaying step 3 by a couple of weeks, then Delta would have been much more likely to stay a bit more contained at this vital juncture, allowing the virus to pull ahead in the virus Vs vaccine race.

I did support it at the time, but it does seem like, in my region at least, that we really needed more people vaccinated before opening all indoors hospitality.

It's probably politically unfeasible at the moment to increase restrictions, but a delay is completely in line with was the government have been saying since the roadmap was first announced. It's not moving the goalposts, the virus has moved the ball.

Bolton is dropping off very slowly - surely with a full unlocking it has a good chance of resuming its growth? And we can't implement "special measures" everywhere.

I'm still going with my prediction from a few* weeks ago - a delay of roughly 5 weeks before full unlocking.

* I can't remember when I first said this, might not be that long ago, things are moving fast.

Yes I agree, in hindsight we should’ve pushed step 3 back but we are where we are and whilst rowing back on restrictions in some areas might be useful as you say they won’t do that so we are left with an extension to step 4. I agree with your timetable. 

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's just a bit of a crunch - like the bump Israel had coming out of their lockdown, except it's going to be considerably bigger because of Delta - yet it's still going to be a bump and then... We're really going to be looking very good indeed once we're through it.

The youngsters don't need 8 weeks to get good protection, they barely need 2. Jab jab jab and we'll be good... Just not quite yet.

For anyone who has ever been involved in a major project with high risk, getting this close to hitting the deadline from a start several months ago is really quite good. And anyone who has been on such a project knows that it feels a bit endless at this point - and that the project was actually nearly done, just needed another extension and push.

We'll be good - we will. It's close.

Tbf I'd reluctantly agree to a 2 week delay on the basis of getting more jabs in. I'd crack on if up to me but I think there is political space for a small delay like that.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Could you imagine if the vaccines really did take 18 months before they started to be rolled out? We would be so fucked.

yeah, really. I mean...there are options...test and trace and close borders like elsewhere, but would mean some pretty strict lockdowns first, and then stop all travel abroad, and then locally lockdown and trace any cases if detected...would the public accept that?!

Just now, Ozanne said:

I get what you mean but in this instance we are close to offering every adult their first dose and my the end of the summer every adult will have been offered 2 doses. That’s why any extension of restrictions now is different, 2 doses works really effectively so we need to get as many done as possible before unlocking any further in my view. 

Yes I agree, in hindsight we should’ve pushed step 3 back but we are where we are and whilst rowing back on restrictions in some areas might be useful as you say they won’t do that so we are left with an extension to step 4. I agree with your timetable. 

Absolutely not on pushing step 3 back. Was wrong at the time and probably wrong now.

So if we do get the vaccine numbers in, regardless of case numbers, you'd agree with dropping all restrictions on that timetable?

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

BBC news says the surging of vaccines in some areas will cause shortages in others … anyone know what supplies we have left of Pfizer ? And was it moderna ? … I’ve lost track i hope we can push forward everywhere 

If that's the case, let's use the spare AZN and drop the under 40 ban

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

BBC news says the surging of vaccines in some areas will cause shortages in others … anyone know what supplies we have left of Pfizer ? And was it moderna ? … I’ve lost track i hope we can push forward everywhere 

that's ok though, right? There's only a finite amount of the stuff.

One thing the government must show on Monday is what level of risk and death we have to accept going forward. 

We need something to base everything off, is opening on the 21st going to put us above that level? Is a 2 week delay going to keep us below that level? If not what is.