Spice Girls for 2020?

Skelts

I'm 35 so I was 12 when the Spice Girls started and 15 when they finished being massive. . My sister was massively into them and they remind me of being young. I would 100% be there and have more attachment to them than Dolly Parton.

Plus, "Who do you think you are?" is an absolute banger... as the kids say.

I reckon if the Spice Girls play it'll be third down the Pyramid, following on from Katy Perry/Janet Jackson/Miley Cyrus. Has Mel B actually said anything specific about the legends slot?

21 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Has Mel B actually said anything specific about the legends slot?

I'm pretty sure she has, yeah. I think she looked at Kylie and thought "if she can do that so can we".

I'm not sure she's realised yet that Glastonbury pays sod-all tho. For a start, if Posh won't do the reunion for big bucks then i'm damned sure she's not going to do one show for what Glastonbury pays.

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I thought the tea time spot was supposed to be the least chin strokey set at the festival? I think a couple of cheesy but fun pop acts across the weekend helps balance the lineup. 

23 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I reckon if the Spice Girls play it'll be third down the Pyramid, following on from Katy Perry/Janet Jackson/Miley Cyrus. Has Mel B actually said anything specific about the legends slot?

I can't see Victoria Beckham coming out of miming retirement for anything other than a headliner slot!

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I can't see her coming out of retirement for a small fee when she spurned a big one.

She did join them for the Olympic opening (or closing?) ceremony though... so maybe she's only interested in gigs with big audiences and media coverage?  

Edited by stuie

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

we can be if you like, but which one of the 87 different versions? :P

The Sugababes are more than a 'version', they're a journey, an exploration into the corners of bangers and the meaning of what it takes for a song to slap.

That or the ones that did Freak Like Me.

I'd love Dave Simpson to track down all the previous members of the Sugababes and interview them, although his personal life couldn't really handle it when he did that with The Fall.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

The Sugababes are more than a 'version', they're a journey, an exploration into the corners of bangers and the meaning of what it takes for a song to slap.

That or the ones that did Freak Like Me.

I'd love Dave Simpson to track down all the previous members of the Sugababes and interview them, although his personal life couldn't really handle it when he did that with The Fall.

the original 3 are supposedly back together again and might have even got the name back.

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’m quite surprised at the negative reaction here. To me they were always destined to play the festival at some point. When I think of legendary UK acts they are definitely on the list. They were seriously big and they are beyond a household name. 

I understand that cheesy pop always gets a bit frowned upon but I’m a bit perplexed what some users on here think about the legends slot. I didn’t realise the tea time slot was a showcase for a highly credible artist? If I saw Lionel perform the exact same set at night time I probably would have left. However, suns out and having a beer with my mates it was fantastic?

I thought the tea time spot was supposed to be the least chin strokey set at the festival? I think a couple of cheesy but fun pop acts across the weekend helps balance the lineup. 

Well it is, if you (and Hugh Jass) can't tell the difference between people like Dolly and Lionel, who are musicians and songwriters with over 100 million record sales EACH and who have written classics for themselves and other artists, and pop crap like the Spice Girls there is something amiss. The Spice Girls were in the right place at the right time and connected with their young girl audience, they had massive success but they have almost no musical talent, at least Take That write their own songs. Kylie deserved her spot because of her longevity and the fact she had to cancel her headline spot, though she was still borderline legend IMO. The previous years double bill of Barry Gibb and Chic defined the Sunday legends spot.

I'd like to know if anybody has a contact for working with the Glastonbury Seelection Committee (yes I had to make that up but there must be something with a similar title) 

I'd work for free on the basis that if the Spice Girls management,  or ideally Mel B called. I could tell them to f@ck off. I'd then retire happy .?