Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

1 minute ago, Homer said:

702?! Which run is that? 

Was surprised how small the Auckland one was. Prob not much more than 50 people running and no one pratting on about milestones, visitors beforehand!

that's cassiobury parkrun in Watford, usually about 400 people but all the new year new me lot are clogging it up a bit in jan!

It's an odd one.  I'm a (very) irregular visitor because it's a 20 min drive and I'd rather run around my village!  Tend to use it if I'm up that way anyway, or if Mrs Q is in the gym up there.

But I can definitely see the attraction of them; the whole community thing (or "pratting on" to use @Homer's description ;)) is a big thing for people who don't like running on their own, and measured timing is good for the competitors.

I'd probably use mine more if it wasn't just 3 laps of the park.

Also, early start? 9am you lazy bastard! :lol:

1 minute ago, Quark said:

It's an odd one.  I'm a (very) irregular visitor because it's a 20 min drive and I'd rather run around my village!  Tend to use it if I'm up that way anyway, or if Mrs Q is in the gym up there.

But I can definitely see the attraction of them; the whole community thing (or "pratting on" to use @Homer's description ;)) is a big thing for people who don't like running on their own, and measured timing is good for the competitors.

I'd probably use mine more if it wasn't just 3 laps of the park.

Also, early start? 9am you lazy bastard! :lol:

I find the community thing annoying, that's just me being a miserable bastard though. I prefer to exercise alone.

Also, I have kids so anything post 7.30am counts as a lie-in. I'm not wasting that running around a park at 9am!!!

Conversely, I actually quite like the community aspect (I got a round of applause for revealing that I was from London at the Glastonbury one). I actually only do Parkrun if I'm on holiday though.

Otherwise I'm such a miserable bastard that I only really run on the treadmill at the gym.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Also, I have kids so anything post 7.30am counts as a lie-in. I'm not wasting that running around a park at 9am!!!

I guessed that might be the case but, you know, LOLs.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Otherwise I'm such a miserable bastard that I only really run on the treadmill at the gym.

No wonder you're miserable.  Hate treadmill running with an absolute passion.

EDIT - should also add that I'm quite happy running up on my own in the hills with nary a soul to be seen. And I hate people being chatty in the gym :lol:

Edited by Quark

21 minutes ago, Quark said:

I guessed that might be the case but, you know, LOLs.

No wonder you're miserable.  Hate treadmill running with an absolute passion.

EDIT - should also add that I'm quite happy running up on my own in the hills with nary a soul to be seen. And I hate people being chatty in the gym :lol:

I run outside, just on my own where no-one can bother me.

Woke up at 5.40am with jet lag and went to the gym; aborted row after 10 mins feeling sluggish; moved on to the running machine intending to do 10 mins then move on; banged out a 30-min run instead; got home, signed up for 30-min spin class tonight; signed up for the Olympic Park 10k in 2.5 weeks.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah - HIIT. It's a Les Mills thing so presumably at most of the big gym chains. 

It certainly kicks my ass.

I'm always a bit wary of some of the Les Mills stuff.  Quite a few people in Mrs Q's group of exercise class buddies picked up injuries from Grit, largely because it seemed to focus on speed of execution at the expense of any kind of form or control. I think some have tried the new Grit Strength, but it sounds like more of the same but with weights for added injury potential!

How's that compare with how you find it Calgon? Could always be a dodgy instructor doing it wrong down our way

Edited by Quark

Interesting.  I think the instructor(s) that did it down here were pushing for the speed approach, which would explain the injury rate.

I'm a big fan of maintaining proper form, so any of the fast ones that sacrifice that give me the heebie jeebies.

Checked back in on the early thread posts as I knew I'd posted my targets to keep myself honest!  Turns out I'm 6 months in and I've hit 4 of the 9 I'd set myself, so I can only be happy with that!!

• Run from my house to the top of Chanctonbury Hill and back. 14.5km with a nice 230m climb and descent at the halfway point. Cracked that one early doors.
  • Finally ran a sub 50-min 10km; hit 49:12 compared with previous best of about 52 mins
  • Did my first half marathon and came in under 2 hours.
  • Did the Fan Dance the other week as planned and came in under 5 hours for an added bonus!

Still plenty to do, but it's nice to tick them off as you go :)

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Checked back in on the early thread posts as I knew I'd posted my targets to keep myself honest!  Turns out I'm 6 months in and I've hit 4 of the 9 I'd set myself, so I can only be happy with that!!

• Run from my house to the top of Chanctonbury Hill and back. 14.5km with a nice 230m climb and descent at the halfway point. Cracked that one early doors.
  • Finally ran a sub 50-min 10km; hit 49:12 compared with previous best of about 52 mins
  • Did my first half marathon and came in under 2 hours.
  • Did the Fan Dance the other week as planned and came in under 5 hours for an added bonus!

Still plenty to do, but it's nice to tick them off as you go :)

Thanks Quark. This has given my the motivation I need to take my sorry ass to the gym. Worked till 7 and on the train, and it would be toooo easy to sack it off. But I refuse!

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

Thanks Quark. This has given my the motivation I need to take my sorry ass to the gym. Worked till 7 and on the train, and it would be toooo easy to sack it off. But I refuse!

Good work :)

Nearly didn't go myself tonight, got there and realised I hadn't packed a tshirt in my gym bag. Had to walk 5 mins back to the car un the the rain to get my wallet so I could buy a tshirt at the gym, which also meant the session was about 15 mins shorter than planned. Glad I managed it though!

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good work :)

Nearly didn't go myself tonight, got there and realised I hadn't packed a tshirt in my gym bag. Had to walk 5 mins back to the car un the the rain to get my wallet so I could buy a tshirt at the gym, which also meant the session was about 15 mins shorter than planned. Glad I managed it though!

I didn't go!!!! I got to the gym to do my new weights programme, but it was so busy with meat heads in the free weights area that I bottled it and left. Super lame (hopefully after a few times of going I'll get a bit braver). However, I fully intend to go in the morning at 7am - less meatheads at that time. I will report back from the train as to whether I made it or not.....