Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

On 12/12/2019 at 3:52 AM, John the Moth said:

Auckland I’d definitely agree that a visit to Waiheke Island is well worth it. Beautiful. Hire a bike or alternatively get a hop on/off bus ticket. With the bus I’d get to the island early and go straight to Onetangi beach at the end of the line for the morning; swimming, walking etc. then stop off at two or three vineyards on the way back, Stoneyridge is my favourite. It has a great outdoor space with chilled DJs.
Also in Auckland, catch one of Mrs Moth’s gigs (end of plug)

In Coromandel, Hahei is a great base with a nice hike up the coast to cathedral cove in one direction and a longer hike/short drive to Hot Water Beach in the other direction.

Elsewhere on North Island: Lake Taupo for adventure sports (not as good as Queenstown I hear), Tongariro crossing,and of course Hobbiton. Everywhere I’ve mentioned is crawling with tourists mind.

When we last visited we just got on the ferry from hobsonville to Auckland. Picked another ferry or bus to places such as Devonport etc. The Auckland transport card is really useful Our daughter also drove us to various attractions, nature reserves etc.   Hobbiton was good but expensive bus trip.  The craft brewery at the farmers market  was just a few weeks away from opening so missed out on that.  Going back next December so looking forward to using it as a refuge from grandkids! Our main way of keeping fit is long walks and plenty of them in NZ! 

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

When we last visited we just got on the ferry from hobsonville to Auckland. Picked another ferry or bus to places such as Devonport etc. The Auckland transport card is really useful Our daughter also drove us to various attractions, nature reserves etc.   Hobbiton was good but expensive bus trip.  The craft brewery at the farmers market  was just a few weeks away from opening so missed out on that.  Going back next December so looking forward to using it as a refuge from grandkids! Our main way of keeping fit is long walks and plenty of them in NZ! 

the brewery has been finished My friend! V nice. My in-laws live in Hville so popped in for a quick (2/3 Of a) pint on our first night before the jetlag took over. Street food stalls there too. Also got a boat from Hobs then a ferry to Wah Island the next day for our anniversary. Ate at mudbrick - v nice! 

7FF23087-EA96-46A7-BAB0-F4B11BB45032.jpeg

ADE9D651-CCC0-4A09-9F17-3E9E6579AB3D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Homer said:

the brewery has been finished My friend! V nice. My in-laws live in Hville so popped in for a quick (2/3 Of a) pint on our first night before the jetlag took over. Street food stalls there too. Also got a boat from Hobs then a ferry to Wah Island the next day for our anniversary. Ate at mudbrick - v nice! 

7FF23087-EA96-46A7-BAB0-F4B11BB45032.jpeg

ADE9D651-CCC0-4A09-9F17-3E9E6579AB3D.jpeg

Looks lovely, sitting staring at the rain here, pitch dark, about 4 degrees c , outdoor Xmas lights looking pretty sad as they get blown about I can’t help thinking that we should have visited this year! Oh well, it’s glasto in the summer then NZ in our winter to look forward to so ain’t too bad I suppose! 

Most nights we took a walk round the harbour walk at hobsonville, looks like the brewery will be a stop off! 

• Upvote 1

So foodwise December has been a bit of an intentional write off (albeit not as bad as it would usually be) Exercise wise though apart from no classes for the 2 weeks I have actually made an effort to still keep walking. We even did a 10km hike around Macclesfield Forest on Christmas day. I will still have gained weight this month undoubtedly but hopefully not as much as normal. 

Yes 2020 fitness crew!

I smashed out a 10 mile run in 1hr11mins yesterday! definitely went way too hard but knocked about 10mins off my pb which was unreal - hurting and dying today however! how did everyone get on over xmas? (or not!)

edit: forgot to add I was running in my new xmas present shoes - Nike Next %'s, so it does sort of feel like im cheating with the carbon plates added... still - flying along!

Edited by grilladelphia
  • Upvote 1

I usually do HIIT every morning and Pilates three times a week but was wiped out by a chest infection most of December and now have a viral infection. Wouldn't mind missing the exercise for festivities (pints) but being ill is just shit. Trying to get back into it this week - did a body coach live HIIT on NYD and my thighs are still burning. 

6 minutes ago, AmazingAbby said:

I usually do HIIT every morning and Pilates three times a week but was wiped out by a chest infection most of December and now have a viral infection. Wouldn't mind missing the exercise for festivities (pints) but being ill is just shit. Trying to get back into it this week - did a body coach live HIIT on NYD and my thighs are still burning. 

unlucky on the chest infection I think I've got one heading my way too! 6hr Iration Steppas set tomorrow night in Lewisham may be the death of me!

For a little "treat" for myself, I bought some PT sessions at the gym. Had the first one yesterday. Sweet jesus it was hard! I was planning on going and smashing the routine again tonight and tomorrow, but as the day has gone on I now can barely move my legs. Thought it might be wise to give tonight a miss and will definitely go and give it a go on Sunday, but what about tomorrow? Would I be better off attempting a short run, or going to the gym and trying some alternative exercises that I'm not too crippled to do?

On 12/12/2019 at 3:52 AM, John the Moth said:

Elsewhere on North Island: Lake Taupo for adventure sports (not as good as Queenstown I hear), Tongariro crossing,and of course Hobbiton. Everywhere I’ve mentioned is crawling with tourists mind.

Spent 5 years in Queenstown, working in hospitality. Which was great because I got to do nearly everything for free. Got thousands of dollars worth of freebies. Got to the point I was turning stuff down cos I couldn't be bothered. I would say though that Queenstown is brilliant if you've only got a short time and a big budget, but most things you can do in Queenstown you can do cheaper, and often better, elsewhere in the country. If you are planning on doing a bungy, that should be in Queenstown though.

Just now, philipsteak said:

Spent 5 years in Queenstown, working in hospitality. Which was great because I got to do nearly everything for free. Got thousands of dollars worth of freebies. Got to the point I was turning stuff down cos I couldn't be bothered. I would say though that Queenstown is brilliant if you've only got a short time and a big budget, but most things you can do in Queenstown you can do cheaper, and often better, elsewhere in the country. If you are planning on doing a bungy, that should be in Queenstown though.

for sure ... thats where I jumped off the bridge :) .... franz joseph area for a skydive cant remember exact location ...... I still watch my skydive vid with amazement that I actually did it being scared of heights 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

for sure ... thats where I jumped off the bridge :) .... franz joseph area for a skydive cant remember exact location ...... I still watch my skydive vid with amazement that I actually did it being scared of heights 

One of my best days was doing all 3 bungys in one day. The bridge, followed by the Nevis, then the Ledge. Then they took us or for drinks after. Buzzing for days from that. God I miss that place sometimes

Just now, philipsteak said:

One of my best days was doing all 3 bungys in one day. The bridge, followed by the Nevis, then the Ledge. Then they took us or for drinks after. Buzzing for days from that. God I miss that place sometimes

its an awesome country and place ... I used to sit by the wall by the lake and sell t-shirts I designed in the sunshine and play hackysack in the park  ... one hell of a feeling completing those adrenaline things ... the Nevis was just nuts 134m ? I think ... 47m was plenty for me :) 

Didn’t make a bungee sadly! Current fitness tally in two weeks in NZ: swimming pool x2; trek around/up massive hill x3; cycle up massive hill x1; and I just did the Hobsonville in Auckland Parkrun (they start at 8am here the mad bastards!).

Highlight so far was the 12k trek up this badboy just outside Arrowtown (by Queenstown)

617BC10A-DCDE-47A1-B0B4-E65AC1C2AECD.jpeg

• Like 1