Football 19/20

thetime

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are trophies the only metric?

No. 

If you consider where Spurs were when Poch took over

6th.

A long way behind the top 2 of City and Liverpool. (15 and 17 points after 38 games)

to where they are now they have improved considerably.

7th. 

A long way behind the top 2 of Liverpool and City. (5 and 10 points after 6 games.)

7 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

No. 

6th.

A long way behind the top 2 of City and Liverpool. (15 and 17 points after 38 games)

7th. 

A long way behind the top 2 of Liverpool and City. (5 and 10 points after 6 games.)

I don’t regard league position after 6 matches as an accurate reflection, let’s see where they are towards the back end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t regard league position after 6 matches as an accurate reflection,

For sure. 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

let’s see where they are towards the back end of the season.

You think they’ll be closer to the top 2 at the end of the season than they were at the end of the 2014/15 season? 

Or just that they’ll finish higher than 7th? 

Spurs only finished 5 points ahead of Utd last season. Utd dropped 5 points to Huddersfield and Cardiff in the last 2 games. If Utd weren't a complete shambles they would've nipped them for 4th. Same for Arsenal.

They won 6 games from 13 in the Champions League all season, drew 2 and lost 5. Got dumped out of the FA Cup in the 2nd round etc. 

Hes spent a right few quid too. They can be great on their day mind you.

Four wins in seventeen for Spurs isn't great. Obviously over the years Poch has done a good job but it does seem to be going slightly awry lately.

They've missed Trippier this year and I think they got rid of him too eagerly. Sure he had a duff season last term but who's putting crosses into Kane now? I imagine they will lose Eriksen on a free before too long. Vertonghen and Aldereweireld's contracts both expire in the summer as well. They're constantly trying to shove Danny Rose out of the door.

If I were a fan I'd feel like their best chances were maybe behind them now. Said it at the start of the season but I don't see them being 'the best of the rest' this year.

Spurs are a weird one as they have great players and a great manager but eventually that has to translate into success. It feels like the loss in the final last year has knocked their confidence a bit. I’m genuinely thinking they’ll be outside the top 4. (Arsenal and Chelsea ahead of them)

Edited by DareToDibble

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not bad at all, the boy's a game changer.

I'm glad to see West Ham doing well as hopefully it'll mean less clamour to bring him back in January.

Did we agree a recall clause? I can’t remember. 

Antonio being a long term absentee makes it more likely I guess, however there’s still more than enough cover currently. Would take 2 or 3 more out long term for Pellegrini to want to do that. Pretty sure he’d rather see Grady get more game time. 

Glad Slav and Julian have started the season ok. 

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Spurs are a weird one as they have great players and a great manager but eventually that has to translate into success. It feels like the loss in the final last year has knocked their confidence a bit. I’m genuinely thinking they’ll be outside the top 4. (Arsenal and Chelsea ahead of them)

Do Spurs have great players? Im not convinced. I think they generally finish where they should, for the players that they have.

Edited by pink_triangle

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Wouldn't surprise me. Dour 0-0 with 5 to go and they knock one in from a set piece. 

Although Ole coaches at a Rochdale level so maybe he'll know how to beat them.

A scrappy 88th minute winner for United would be the best case scenario for everyone. It would keep him in the job for a while longer but not really make anyone happy.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Do Spurs have great players? Im not convinced. I think they generally finish where they should, for the players that they have.

They certainly have 3 or 4 players that would comfortably get into most teams in the league - Eriksen, Son, Kane and you could probably make a case for Vertonghen/Alderweireld.

6 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

They certainly have 3 or 4 players that would comfortably get into most teams in the league - Eriksen, Son, Kane and you could probably make a case for Vertonghen/Alderweireld.

They probably have the 4th/5th squad in the league and will finish about 4th or 5th.  I think great may be stretching it for some of those players.