How Many Janet Jackson Songs Could You Name?

The Placid Casual

How Many Janet Jackson Songs Could You Name?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Janet Jackson Songs Could You Name?

• That one with Michael Jackson with the really expensive video
    • 1 (not that one with MJ)
    • 2-3
    • 3-5
    • 5-10
    • 10-25
    • I've got a few of her albums
    • Her whole back catalogue! Get her booked!

28 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

No need for the sexism implication really, very harsh. It's a fair question and the results prove it.

Ah yes, because this poll is the conclusive result from an accurate sample of Glastonbury attendees.

Why not be happy — or easier still, neutral — for those who are excited by the possibility of a Janet Jackson set?

• Upvote 1

Just now, sophiemarie said:

Ah yes, because this poll is the conclusive result from an accurate sample of Glastonbury attendees.

Why not be happy — or easier still, neutral — for those who are excited by the possibility of a Janet Jackson set?

For what it's worth, I voted 2-3 so relatively (in this thread), I know plenty. I'm absolutely happy for people who are excited about it and I'm in no way complaining about her possible appearance (unless she's headlining, would be a weak booking IMO). None of that was my point though. I think it's ludicrous to imply a guy is being sexist for asking how many songs people know by a particular female artist. She's obviously a big star, I would suggest it's more of a generational and genre thing. 

4 minutes ago, sophiemarie said:

Because this is a forum regarding music festivals and people can have opinions on rumoured acts. 

Perhaps the implied snobbery is just because she's a pop artist.

I just find it strange that so many, clearly huge music fans, wouldn't know any of her songs.  She's had a huge run of hits.   Sometimes, I think there is a snobbery around here against certain types of artists.

I'm sure the poll was well-intended but it comes across to me as being a bit dismissive of Janet Jackson's success.   It's not like she's some underground artist.   

It's a bit like those people who comment on announcements and say "WHO?" or "NEVER HEARD OF THEM!".  Can't get my head around it is all.

• Upvote 3

Just now, clarkete said:

If this is a fair poll then that's a fair question and certainly not "very harsh" 

Why make the leap to 'because she's a woman'? What relevance does her gender have? Like I said, I can understand an argument that people may not know many of her songs due to genre or age but I can't see how he's being sexist at all, as is being implied. 

3 minutes ago, RyanS said:

I just find it strange that so many, clearly huge music fans, wouldn't know any of her songs.  She's had a huge run of hits.   Sometimes, I think there is a snobbery around here against certain types of artists.

I'm sure the poll was well-intended but it comes across to me as being a bit dismissive of Janet Jackson's success.   It's not like she's some underground artist.   

It's a bit like those people who comment on announcements and say "WHO?" or "NEVER HEARD OF THEM!".  Can't get my head around it is all.

You are Janet Jackson’s efests account and I claim my £5

So an artist who, clearly, lots of people haven't heard many songs by, despite her being a big name, is claimed to be playing Glasto where she'd presumably get a big slot, and a poll is made on how many songs we all know, and someone instantly jumps to calling the poll starter sexist? Lol shut up.

Was it sexist when we had a discussion last week on whether we knew any Sheryl Crow songs?

Was it sexist in 2017 when some of us were surprised Kris Kristofferson was playing 4th down because a lot of us know none of his songs?

Was it sexist when people were discussing how many Strokes songs the Pyramid crowd will know?

Was it sexist when people were asking their mums if they'd heard of Stormzy?

Or are they all just normal discussions for a Glastonbury forum to play host to?

For what it's worth, though, I think @The Placid Casual is probably a sexist.

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

Why make the leap to 'because she's a woman'? What relevance does her gender have? Like I said, I can understand an argument that people may not know many of her songs due to genre or age but I can't see how he's being sexist at all, as is being implied. 

I hear you.   But, generally speaking, there is something in why some artists' bodies of work are dismissed over others.  Perhaps it's a genre thing in this case, as you suggest, but that's not always the case.    It's similar to Kylie not headlining when other artists with a fraction of her success would be guaranteed headline slots.   Quite often, female pop artists (and I accept that it's open for debate whether it's because they are female or because they are pop), have to work a lot harder for the recognition that the men with guitars get.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

So an artist who, clearly, lots of people haven't heard many songs by, despite her being a big name, is claimed to be playing Glasto where she'd presumably get a big slot, and a poll is made on how many songs we all know, and someone instantly jumps to calling the poll starter sexist? Lol shut up.

Was it sexist when we had a discussion last week on whether we knew any Sheryl Crow songs?

Was it sexist in 2017 when some of us were surprised Kris Kristofferson was playing 4th down because a lot of us know none of his songs?

Was it sexist when people were discussing how many Strokes songs the Pyramid crowd will know?

Was it sexist when people were asking their mums if they'd heard of Stormzy?

Or are they all just normal discussions for a Glastonbury forum to play host to?

For what it's worth, though, I think @The Placid Casual is probably a sexist.

Sounds like an argument a massive sexist would make tbh 

/s

Well, hold on, I didn't accuse the original poster of being sexist but I do think it's fair to debate why she was singled out for this.   

It is disappointing that the question has attracted more downvotes than someone saying "get them nips out love" in the other thread though.

2 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Yeah but you didn't say anything about the poll being 'well-intended' when you called it sexist (let's not beat around the bush here, that's what you were calling it).

I've just had a listen through to some of her top hits on Spotify and it's safe to say I didn't recognise a single one, so I was wondering whether I'm in the boat as everyone else with the 'headliner' and big slot rumours circling. From the poll results, it looks as though I'm in the majority of those who've barely heard a thing she's put out and I can't say I was particularly impressed by what I listened to.

I thought today that I'd start contributing to the forum again. Maybe I was too hasty when people like you and this Sophie poster are lurking about, calling me out as a sexist because I bashed your favourite pop singer.

FWIW, I've posted on here about wanting Robbie Williams to headline so assuming that I posted this poll up because she's a pop artist is another wrong move that you've made.

Just now, RyanS said:

Well, hold on, I didn't accuse the original poster of being sexist but I do think it's fair to debate why she was singled out for this.   

It is disappointing that the question has attracted more downvotes than someone saying "get them nips out love" in the other thread though.

She was singled out because no one knows her songs.

There are more things to note about female performers than their gender, you big sexist.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RyanS said:

Link me to it and I'll downvote it for you sweetheart.

Just now, The Placid Casual said:

Yeah but you didn't say anything about the poll being 'well-intended' when you called it sexist (let's not beat around the bush here, that's what you were calling it).

I've just had a listen through to some of her top hits on Spotify and it's safe to say I didn't recognise a single one, so I was wondering whether I'm in the boat as everyone else with the 'headliner' and big slot rumours circling. From the poll results, it looks as though I'm in the majority of those who've barely heard a thing she's put out and I can't say I was particularly impressed by what I listened to.

I thought today that I'd start contributing to the forum again. Maybe I was too hasty when people like you and this Sophie poster are lurking about, calling me out as a sexist because I bashed your favourite pop singer.

FWIW, I've posted on here about wanting Robbie Williams to headline so assuming that I posted this poll up because she's a pop artist is another wrong move that you've made.

Look, I take on board what you're saying.   I'm not in the business of arguing with people online and so please don't let my comments stop you from contributing to the forum.    It's clear that the majority of people here agree with you and so don't be put off by what I say.

I found the poll strange and I hope I've explained why.   You've explained your reasons for creating it and I accept that.   

4 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

I didn't call you sexist? Chill out.

20 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Because this is a forum regarding music festivals and people can have opinions on rumoured acts. 

Good point. The dismissal of her legitimacy as a main stage act is just really strange to me. She's an r&b icon, and has sold millions of records. For what it's worth, I think she'd put on a great show. (Although I agree that she wouldn't be an appropriate headline act.)

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not just female artists.

Minorities too.

If you ain't white and male you're getting polled!

I don't remember the ones for Lionel Richie or Nile Rogers.

And I can guarantee there wouldn't be one for Diana Ross.

This isn't about her sex or colour, it's about her (apparently) forgettable music.

Why make it about something it isn't ?

• Upvote 1