Boomtown 2019: Chapter 11

vintagelaureate

On 1/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

What chance Aphex Twin to play boomtown?

I'm hoping that as we have Boomtown and Glastonbury covered, he'll be making an appearance at at least one - surely? I'd happily take both tbf :)

Am I being impatient for hoping another announcement will come soon? A big old headliner maybe...? They announced Gorillaz sooooo early last year

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I'm hoping that as we have Boomtown and Glastonbury covered, he'll be making an appearance at at least one - surely? I'd happily take both tbf :)

Am I being impatient for hoping another announcement will come soon? A big old headliner maybe...? They announced Gorillaz sooooo early last year

Boomtown official twitter yesterday posted 1 word... "February"

So I guess we will have to wait.

Gorillaz were announced, but we have had a new stage line up announced this year.

Hope you are right with Aphex Twin!

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

So you have heard things!?! Ha ha. Hoping for Prophets of Rage.

Headliner Announcement is 8/2/19.

Confirmed on boomtown official  instagram

I'd definitely be all in for P.O.R 

I've not bought a ticket yet... My friends have applied to run a micro venue so waiting on that and a line up indication!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I'd definitely be all in for P.O.R 

I've not bought a ticket yet... My friends have applied to run a micro venue so waiting on that and a line up indication!

Do they need any DJs?! Serious question. I have dj'd around manchester for 11 years, so I have experience.... (you dont ask - you dont get!)

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Do they need any DJs?! Serious question. I have dj'd around manchester for 11 years, so I have experience.... (you dont ask - you dont get!)

Ha. I imagine they do but they haven't heard back yet! 

On 11/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, eFestivals said:

headliners announcement on Friday 8th Feb.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it was confirmed before - I've just gone to make a note of that date, and found I already had it.

You posted it in here too, haha!

It was put up on the website back in November, at the same time they revealed the first announcement would be made in December.

2 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Looks like Boomtown are seriously considering going meat free next year due to the environmental issues caused by the mass production of meat.

It wouldn't bother me, but would be interesting to see what others thought?

doesn't seem to have done shambala any harm, tho I'd guess its clientele is a bit more that way inclined than boomtown's.

It's quite odd how festie food has changed over the years. Thirty years ago there were very few non-veggie food outlets at Glasto.

6 minutes ago, mr flow said:

Looks like Boomtown are seriously considering going meat free next year due to the environmental issues caused by the mass production of meat.

I think it would be a brilliant move.

Vegan fast food has come a long way in recent years, and a big factor in that is for sure festival stalls. I know several businesses that started out as stalls and have gone on to open permanent locations in the past 3 or 4 years.

I'm a flexetarian, as I hear it's called nowadays. I still occasionally eat meat and dairy products, but it's a rare occurance for me. I often find a lot of my favourite dishes are actually enhanced when the meat is replaced by plant based foods, so it actually feels like an upgrade to me. My main problem is lack of vegan option availability, but that's an improving situation nowadays. And now there is some mouth wateringly tasty vegan meals, as the creativity needed in removing dairy and meat has forced recipe innovation.

Anyway, I digress a bit. With regards to Boomtown, it's a very bold move for a big festival. They already announced that they would be restricting meat vendors this year and prioritising others vegan and sustainable. So the first steps have already taken place.

I don't think ticket sales would suffer, and it might help open people's eyes that vegetable/vegan food is often extremely delicious. I can imagine initial grumbles on Facebook, but ultimately acceptance and praise for such a scheme, alla Shambala, as mentioned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr flow said:

Great idea, and it might actually improve the quality of a lot of the food, as I found there to be a real over supply of rubbish burgers in a lot of Boomtown locations, aside from the Lion's Den area where it was all fab! The thought the food at Shambala was great - although not enough curry IMO. I wonder how it would go down with the clientel ? As long as it was affordable, I can't see people caring too much?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr flow said:

I don't eat a huge amount of meat, especially at festivals where the quality of the meat could be questionable.

I resent having my life choices made for me by others though.

Banning all meat is a step too far for Boomtown, in my opinion.   I think it would seem a bit like the citizens are being controlled by some micro nanny state!  Though I suppose that could be written into the storyline.

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

are you expecting it to be priced cheaper than 'normal' festie food?

No, of course not.... Perhaps "affordable" was the wrong word given the standard prices. I just meant as long as it didn't cost noticeably more than getting a beef burger or whatever, then I don't see it being a problem. I guess I think some people might consider veggie food to be somehow "fancier"?

5 hours ago, mr flow said:

I'll be the one to say that it'd probably stop me going back to Boomtown.

It's not a case of "I can't survive 4 days without eating meat" - I can. I have. I will again. But for me food is an important part of the festival experience, and I'd prefer to have a wide variety, meaning both meat and non-meat. Taking that away would be one more negative factor and in this case more than enough to tip the balance.

I go to Shambala, and they can get away with it as (for me) it's a much easier festival experience - it's relatively local to me, and is on a nice, flatish, reasonably compact site with lots of reasons to keep going back. But given how much extra effort and hassle Boomtown can be compared to every other festival except maybe Glastonbury, in so many respects, limiting the food options would move it to the "not worth the bother" category.

I don't think I'd be alone in that either. While I don't want to put myself in the same category as those people, just the sheer volume of tents and other shit left behind suggests that a sizeable portion of the Boomtown crowd isn't that bothered about sustainability etc and so won't appreciate the reasoning behind it.

1 hour ago, incident said:

I don't think I'd be alone in that either. While I don't want to put myself in the same category as those people, just the sheer volume of tents and other shit left behind suggests that a sizeable portion of the Boomtown crowd isn't that bothered about sustainability etc and so won't appreciate the reasoning behind it.

Not saying that you are one of the people leaving the tents behind.... But Boomtown does seem to have made clear they are not interested in that demographic, so maybe wouldn't mind if this put a few of them off?

It's a really bold move though. Will be interesting to see if they go through with it.

39 minutes ago, Sku said:

Not saying that you are one of the people leaving the tents behind.... But Boomtown does seem to have made clear they are not interested in that demographic, so maybe wouldn't mind if this put a few of them off?

The problem is that whether it's the demographic they want or not, it's very the demographic they currently have and turning them away only works if you can replace them quickly.

When Shambala made that particular change, they were pretty much preaching to the converted or at least to people who understood the reasoning. With Boomtown, it'd be a hell of a lot more difficult to make it work.

• Upvote 1