2019 festival

Where's the headliner pool at now? Fall Out Boy going it alone and Panic! at the Disco getting boosted up has surely widened it significantly. I know Imagine Dragons, Catfish and Twenty One Pilots have been discussed a lot, I reckon Bastille could get the bump up to a co after their next album, maybe Tame Impala, Boy Better Know, Chance the Rapper.

Makes me wonder who's eligible to sub now that Courteeners have gotten the bump up as well, TDCC, The Vaccines in a couple years? Blossoms? Thought they were all destined for third down forever but it seems like bands are climbing even if they are in decline.

Edited by frontsidecab

15 minutes ago, frontsidecab said:

Where's the headliner pool at now? Fall Out Boy going it alone and Panic! at the Disco getting boosted up has surely widened it significantly. I know Imagine Dragons, Catfish and Twenty One Pilots have been discussed a lot, I reckon Bastille could get the bump up to a co after their next album, maybe Tame Impala, Boy Better Know, Chance the Rapper.

Makes me wonder who's eligible to sub now that Courteeners have gotten the bump up as well, TDCC, The Vaccines in a couple years? Blossoms? Thought they were all destined for third down forever but it seems like bands are climbing even if they are in decline.

major lazer could get bumped up to headliner

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, frontsidecab said:

Last I checked, Blossoms were struggling to sell out venues (outside of Greater Manchester) on their tour for the second album. I think their album will brick and their third down slot will be looked back on as poor judgement.

Courteeners are an okay sub really. Most people expected it. They'd been progressing upwards despite not actually becoming any more popular in most of the country so it was just anticipated that they'd hit sub this year. Doubt it'll continue, I guess they'll just sub every two years until they pack it in now. I think TDCC's gradual rise will see them sub next year as well.

This year is clearly a bit of a mess regarding headliners as something went wrong somewhere so I don't think it's that useful in predicting future years. I don't think the floodgates have now opened for new headliners, as much as new headliners weren't shut out by 2017's headline trio. Besides, if you look at the kind of acts that Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco are; it's hard to compare them to newer bands getting a crack at the headline gig.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Last I checked, Blossoms were struggling to sell out venues (outside of Greater Manchester) on their tour for the second album. I think their album will brick and their third down slot will be looked back on as poor judgement.

Courteeners are an okay sub really. Most people expected it. They'd been progressing upwards despite not actually becoming any more popular in most of the country so it was just anticipated that they'd hit sub this year. Doubt it'll continue, I guess they'll just sub every two years until they pack it in now. I think TDCC's gradual rise will see them sub next year as well.

This year is clearly a bit of a mess regarding headliners as something went wrong somewhere so I don't think it's that useful in predicting future years. I don't think the floodgates have now opened for new headliners, as much as new headliners weren't shut out by 2017's headline trio. Besides, if you look at the kind of acts that Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco are; it's hard to compare them to newer bands getting a crack at the headline gig.

Yeah they haven't sold out Norwich yet which is 1,200 capacity, Courteeners had the same problem whereas the Wombats had it sold within the first week. 

I think you're right thinking about it that way. I suppose The 1975, Bring Me the Horizon and Twenty One Pilots are poised to jump up in the next couple years so it's not like they have to force bands up the line up.

I think the headliners are as they are because of some unfortunate circumstances along the way (part of which seemingly being the collapse of the two stage idea).

I think looking at the positions of Skepta, Travis Scott and Wolf Alice indicates that nothing has changed really (these acts seem more comparable to the likes of Catfish and Imagine Dragons to me, too).

3 hours ago, jj200 said:

major lazer could get bumped up to headliner

Won't happen, Major Lazer has completely disappeared since Lean On.

3 hours ago, frontsidecab said:

Two Door subbed in 2017 and honestly if their next album ends up having half the quality of Tourist History, then they could definitely co-headline.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Won't happen, Major Lazer has completely disappeared since Lean On.

Two Door subbed in 2017 and honestly if their next album ends up having half the quality of Tourist History, then they could definitely co-headline.

Nah they were third down mate, below Bastille, reckon sub would be next for them.

1 minute ago, gfa said:

No they didn’t and you can’t half zero.

59 minutes ago, DR OK said:

The two stage option was because of struggling to get who they wanted, eg it was a fallback position and not the original plan.

They were thinking of bringing in a whole new stage to make up for not getting the headliner they wanted?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

No they didn’t and you can’t half zero.

They were thinking of bringing in a whole new stage to make up for not getting the headliner they wanted?

My mistake, couldn't think - but they'll definitely be subbing next time and honestly regardless if you like them or not, two door are one of my favourite bands.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

My mistake, couldn't think - but they'll definitely be subbing next time and honestly regardless if you like them or not, two door are one of my favourite bands.

me too

they will sub when they will have a new album which i don't know when that will come out.

this is my dream predution

friday the 1975/foals

saturday calvin harris/David getta

sunday bastille/biffy

• Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

The Sunday headliner for the second stage is Skepta.

When it's dropped out
That's not me and it's dropped out
Ring ring pussy, it's dropped out
Fashion week and it's dropped out
Went to the show sitting in the front row
In a black tracksuit and it's dropped out
Touch the road and it's dropped out
Boy Better Know and it's dropped out

• Downvote 6

On 06/03/2018 at 5:14 PM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

What would everyone's ideal trio of headliners be for 2019? Try to make it somewhat realistic - don't include any acts that clearly won't be around or that R&L wouldn't book.

Mine would be Florence & the Machine, Kanye West, The Strokes.

Only just realised that's 2 of the 3 Glastonbury 2015 headliners :P.

Realistic: BMTH, 1975, Green Day

Optimistic: BMTH/1975, QOTSA and The Killers.

Incredibly optimistic: Metallica, Royal Blood/Liam Gallagher, Arcade Fire

Complete dream: Foos, Radiohead, Royal Blood

Edited by R Shah

2 hours ago, Lukie74 said:

Swedish house mafia have officially announced a return potentially furthering their case for next year

Definitely would make a good sub when you compare them to the likes of Major Lazer and Marshmello who have been so high up the bill in recent years. 

Edit:  I know Marshmello only headlined the dance tent last time but people have been saying he could make the leap to NME headliner.

Edited by MIchael_scarn

20 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

Definitely would make a good sub when you compare them to the likes of Major Lazer and Marshmello who have been so high up the bill in recent years. 

Edit:  I know Marshmello only headlined the dance tent last time but people have been saying he could make the leap to NME headliner.

But they’re completely different acts?

SHM and the DJ’s of whom it is comprised have never played the festival before so I don’t see why R+L would be dishing out a huge slot to them now, or why people are expecting them to. If anything I think they just won’t be as big as they were due to the times having changed and they’ll probably just get a Creamfields headline slot and work their way down from there.

27 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But they’re completely different acts?

SHM and the DJ’s of whom it is comprised have never played the festival before so I don’t see why R+L would be dishing out a huge slot to them now, or why people are expecting them to. If anything I think they just won’t be as big as they were due to the times having changed and they’ll probably just get a Creamfields headline slot and work their way down from there.

I associate house and EDM acts as sort of the same nature but I guess there is a significant difference. 

I didn't realise they'd never played festivals so I definitely understand where you're coming from there. I couldn't see them any lower than that slot really so I guess it's just more likely they won't play. I'd still say they'd be at least as attractive as the likes of major lazer but i'm unsure the crowd they received before Eminem so i'm probably wrong.

42 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

I associate house and EDM acts as sort of the same nature but I guess there is a significant difference. 

I didn't realise they'd never played festivals so I definitely understand where you're coming from there. I couldn't see them any lower than that slot really so I guess it's just more likely they won't play. I'd still say they'd be at least as attractive as the likes of major lazer but i'm unsure the crowd they received before Eminem so i'm probably wrong.

Well yeah house is a part of EDM but they come from different areas of that, but that’s a rabbit hole not worth venturing down. 

It just strikes me that closer relations such as the likes of Guetta, Harris and Avicii have been kept at arms length by the festival, giving SHM a slot (probably be looking for headline slots really) would be catering for a crowd they’ve previously felt they’re above pandering to. Besides, one of the above retired, another changed style completely and Guetta is going down with the ship so I can’t see the reunion being that big a deal except with people who watched them seven years ago or whatever, just my take.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Well yeah house is a part of EDM but they come from different areas of that, but that’s a rabbit hole not worth venturing down. 

It just strikes me that closer relations such as the likes of Guetta, Harris and Avicii have been kept at arms length by the festival, giving SHM a slot (probably be looking for headline slots really) would be catering for a crowd they’ve previously felt they’re above pandering to. Besides, one of the above retired, another changed style completely and Guetta is going down with the ship so I can’t see the reunion being that big a deal except with people who watched them seven years ago or whatever, just my take.

I dunno I feel like SHM were never really as pop and mainstream as Guetta and Avicii. They were always huge and never really ever went full on pop like the other acts you mentioned. Plus SHM is known for their live shows, but Avicii and definitely Guetta are known for being shit live.

Most of the electronic world is kinda crapping itself right now (my twitter has been spammed by tweets about it at least). I think they're all overreacting, but I definitely think what they do next is gonna have a big impact. I wouldnt say theyre anywhere near as influential as Daft Punk, but I think they are probably the most influential since Daft Punk....

Just now, Mattymooz said:

I dunno I feel like SHM were never really as pop and mainstream as Guetta and Avicii. They were always huge and never really ever went full on pop like the other acts you mentioned. Plus SHM is known for their live shows, but Avicii and definitely Guetta are known for being shit live.

Most of the electronic world is kinda crapping itself right now (my twitter has been spammed by tweets about it at least). I think they're all overreacting, but I definitely think what they do next is gonna have a big impact. I wouldnt say theyre anywhere near as influential as Daft Punk, but I think they are probably the most influential since Daft Punk....

You're vastly overrating SHM (as you always do when you post about them). What they do next is gonna have no impact; they'll headline Creamfields or something and the people who liked them before they split up will enjoy it and no one else will give a shit.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

You're vastly overrating SHM (as you always do when you post about them). What they do next is gonna have no impact; they'll headline Creamfields or something and the people who liked them before they split up will enjoy it and no one else will give a shit.

It made it to the top of /r/music (a notoriously anti-electronic pro-rock subreddit)

It made it into mainstream media like The Independent

It was posted about by a bunch of EDM acts (Hardwell, Garrix, Marshmello, Rob Swire etc.) all of which basically included shit about how much they've missed them or how much this will change electronic music.

If you're big on the scene right now, this is a pretty big deal... I'm sure most rock fans don't give a crap, in the same way I don't give a crap about the new Rolling Stones tour