Don't vote Tory

dimus

If abolishing tuition fees was the reason behind the increase in young person votes, then why wasn't there such a big increase when the Lib Dems promises the same thing? While this is aimed at no one on here, on twitter and in the news I have seen a number of disrespectful comments towards young voters which I find very disheartening. It seems we'll be criticised if we don't vote and criticised if we do

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

If abolishing tuition fees was the reason behind the increase in young person votes, then why wasn't there such a big increase when the Lib Dems promises the same thing? While this is aimed at no one on here, on twitter and in the news I have seen a number of disrespectful comments towards young voters which I find very disheartening. It seems we'll be criticised if we don't vote and criticised if we do

My words are not a criticism, they're an observation. Simple fact is that parties have policy offers to attract votes. 

And yep, an offer of free uni didn't get the vote out to the same extent in 2010, so I'm not claiming that it was only free uni that had people come out and vote this time, but it would also be foolish to think it had no effect on getting the vote out this time.

There was a lot more organisation and penetration of the message (the whole message, including free uni) into unis this time than in previous years, and I don't doubt that free uni was what made some vote when they might not have otherwise.

This is just pathetic, and heres why.

1.Not everyone who is a `young person` ie 18-24 is a student! I know pleanty of young people in employment who voted labour, to claim every single young person who voted labour is a student is just stupid.

2.Even those who are students, whats the issue? should being a student rule you out of voting or something? I mean I dont like traffic wardens personally but I wouldnt claim there occupation has anything to do with their voting preference..

3.Data ive seen suggests its not just `young people` who propped up labour anyway, basically labour seemed to be the majority choice of anyone under the age of 45. 45-50 were a demographic who were mostly tied and the only groups who voted tory by majority were 50+ 

4. `Young people only voted labour for free uni`....wheres the evidence for this? what a ridiculous and utterly unproveable statement to make, what about those young people who arent in uni and have no intention of doing so?  What about those nearing the end of their degrees who any policy change would come to late for? what about the simple basic logical fact that these people hmmm may just care about more then just 1 issue in the world today????

5.As others have said young people are damned if they do, damned if they dont, for once the younger generations came out when it mattered and now theyre facing a barrage of criticism because the older generations are offended at how they voted! Its utterly disgusting, they cant win either way it seems.

6.But keep it up because the more these idiotic tories and their supporters abuse and stereotype young people the more votes they will lose from them thats what said people are to stupid to realise. Wonder if these mps and commentators will be calling on these `naive young people`  to vote tory next time around? Pretty sure after these horrible reactions a metaphorical middle finger to that will be the best response!

10 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

6.But keep it up because the more these idiotic tories and their supporters abuse and stereotype young people the more votes they will lose from them thats what said people are to stupid to realise. Wonder if these mps and commentators will be calling on these `naive young people`  to vote tory next time around? Pretty sure after these horrible reactions a metaphorical middle finger to that will be the best response!

You are generalising completely and don't know where you get this info from ..it's ridiculous . It would be like me saying everyone of your age is abusive and foul mouthed just because you are like it ... really it gets more embarrassing by the day  with this constant ranting... at least most who commented on this thread don't have to be so rude to get their view point across 

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

This. It's been pretty horrible and sneery.

I saw some reports afters where they'd gone and asked those very voters and almost without exception they said they voted for the policy that was actually full of hope and ideas for the future, not to free themselves of the student loans.

It's really rather rude and demeaning, when there was the option of asking rather than presuming.

Edited by frostypaw

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

so the political platform of a party makes no difference to the votes they get? :blink:

That would be more than merely pathetic, that would be totally illogical.

Mate unless you can prove that 1 policy was the whole reason many young people backed labour your talking bollocks, and you cant and you know you cant, so why bother posting it? 

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

I saw some reports afters where they'd gone and asked those very voters and almost without exception they said they voted for the policy that was actually full of hope and ideas for the future, not to free themselves of the student loans.

It's really rather rude and demeaning, when there was the option of asking rather than presuming.

Ive seen tories posting that the voting age should be raised before any next election.....thats typical of the attitude on display here, `if they wont vote how we want them to, take away their vote`....despicable people

36 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

You are generalising completely and don't know where you get this info from ..it's ridiculous . It would be like me saying everyone of your age is abusive and foul mouthed just because you are like it ... really it gets more embarrassing by the day  with this constant ranting... at least most who commented on this thread don't have to be so rude to get their view point across 

how am I generalising? I didnt say all torys are doing this did I but by and large the majority now attacking young people for how they voted `are` tory supporters upset at the how the result went and the press which backs them up. I love how this comment wasnt even aimed at you yet you seem to be taking it personally, bit sensitive this morning eh?

Oh and if you dont have a little rant when you see people actively saying people who dont vote `the right way` should have their vote taken away then theres something wrong with you pal!....and that IS aimed at you so feel free to rant away.  I unlike yourself wont try and tell you how to speak :P

Edited by waterfalls212434

1 minute ago, waterfalls212434 said:

how am I generalising? I didnt say all torys are doing this did I but by and large the majority now attacking young people for how they voted `are` tory supporters upset at the how the result went and the press which backs them up. I love how this comment wasnt even aimed at you yet you seem to be taking it personally, bit sensitive this morning eh?

Oh and if you dont have a little rant when you see people actively saying people who dont vote `the right way` should have their vote taken away then theres something wrong with you pal! 

wouldn't it better to put your point across slightly less aggressive... your point of view is just as important but would be be more poignant if you could make it in a less threatening tone... you would get it across far better 

6 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

But more factual than those who first tried to brush off that it hugely likely to have been a part of it.

It was the brushing off with non-facts that was sneery.

6 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

there was a platform which included free uni. Free uni will have made that platform more appealing than it would otherwise have been to those who might benefit from free uni.

Any other take on things is totally illogical, unless coming from the angle that policy makes no difference to votes gained - which would remove all initial justifications given for why Corbyn should be leader.

5 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Mate unless you can prove that 1 policy was the whole reason many young people backed labour your talking bollocks, and you cant and you know you cant, so why bother posting it? 

I make an observation.

The mad Corbynistas lie about what was said.

:lol:

Same as it ever was.

2 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

wouldn't it better to put your point across slightly less aggressive... your point of view is just as important but would be be more poignant if you could make it in a less threatening tone... you would get it across far better 

Ill put my point across how I bloody well like thankyou very much. I usually post here when somethings pissed me off anyway hence my tone......things like young people being stereotyped and accused of being 1 dimensional for no good reason by people bitter about the election result.

Edited by waterfalls212434

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It's very difficult to say young people only voted for Labour because of tuition fees, when on the other hand people in overwhelmingly remain seats also voted for Labour when the lib dens were offering a second referendum.

who made that point?

I've not seen anyone make that point here.

Have you?

Edited by eFestivals

Just now, eFestivals said:

yep, I know that and you know that, but those who add their own words to what I posted will have to make it different for their own laughable consistency. :P

My only hope is that one day everybody can be correct, and that we're all happy with what we've achieved.  

Any chance of Caroline Lucas being given shadow minister for environment?  I've seen a petition going about - cracking idea in my opinion.  Obviously wouldn't fit with the new strong and stable labour image though.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

My words are not a criticism, they're an observation. Simple fact is that parties have policy offers to attract votes. 

And yep, an offer of free uni didn't get the vote out to the same extent in 2010, so I'm not claiming that it was only free uni that had people come out and vote this time, but it would also be foolish to think it had no effect on getting the vote out this time.

There was a lot more organisation and penetration of the message (the whole message, including free uni) into unis this time than in previous years, and I don't doubt that free uni was what made some vote when they might not have otherwise.

Fair point and of course free uni will have had some effect, and we'll never know exaxtly how much. But I do think it goes a lot deeper than that. I think the frustration felt at the referendum result probably had the biggest impact (but thats just my gut feeling). Regardless what frustrates me is people (not you or anyone on here) criticising young people. Even if they did vote because of the promise to abolish tuition fees, there would be no such criticism of the older generation voting in their own interests (e.g. to protect the triple lock)

10 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Ill put my point across how I bloody well like thankyou very much. I usually post here when somethings pissed me off anyway hence my tone......things like young people being stereotyped and accused of being 1 dimensional for no good reason by people bitter about the election result.

Name calling and mindless accusations ultimately help none of us to debate these issues effectively. We ALL benefit from efficient and effective policies, whether it be the NHS, state of the roads or education issues yet all I see are people fighting mindlessly amongst themselves. Its a shame that in 2017 this is the best we can manage.