Download 2018

Hart Attack

6 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Your a teacher? Christ you must get things in Leeds like the students not realising who they're talking to and trying to sell you ket or something :lol:

I am a teacher, yes. Thankfully that has never happened :lol:  Kids don't seem to be into rock/metal these days on the whole, though. I have a Deftones White Pony flag hung up behind my desk and the amount of kids who ask if I like unicorns is worrying :lol: 

Edited by Andre91
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

I reckon the original trio was A7X, Metallica and Ozzy like a lot of us were agreed on and Metallica will have been replaced by someone underwhelming.

This. 

Avenged Sevenfold
Bring Me The Horizon / Def Leppard / Iron Maiden
Ozzy Osbourne 

I'm still holding out for a pleasant surprise - Rammstein or Nine Inch Nails. Neither all that likely tho.

Edited by JSmurphy

25 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

They wouldn't change the festival to mid/late July because where it is at the moment they can share bands with the European festivals in June like Rock Am Ring/Park, Nova, Hellfest etc. 

Yeah but late June or early July would work and exams finish this that point.  

4 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I don't think they'd gain enough extra ticket sales for it to be a risk worth taking. If the kids want to go that badly then they will just bunk school/college anyway. 

Yeah but it clashes with actual A-level and GCSE exams, which I don't think they'd miss. Just seems silly trying to target a new audience when most of them are unavailable 

They aren't gonna change the date. They have already sold a shed load of tickets for that weekend in June. Refunds would be a disaster and they would need to re apply for a license etc. A band has pulled out and AC is no dobt busting his nut to get a replacement late in the day.

10 minutes ago, News from the West said:

They aren't gonna change the date. They have already sold a shed load of tickets for that weekend in June. Refunds would be a disaster and they would need to re apply for a license etc. A band has pulled out and AC is no dobt busting his nut to get a replacement late in the day.

I'm not talking about this year for the dates which have already been set. Just an idea for some day in the future

10 minutes ago, News from the West said:

Nobody has said that changing the date is the reason for the announcement delay :) I'm not even certain it's a headliner who has pulled out. It could be a sub/second stage headliner who they anticipated to have quite a pull. Who knows. 

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

New Converge disc is fucken mint

Don't know how they still do it but they do. It's a AOTY contender for me and by far the best Metal album I've heard this year (though I've not listened to many). Only thing that kinds of comes close is the new Ostraca though that isn't Metal (just some good old Skramz with some Post Rock thrown in). Hope they do some shows closer to me soon instead of southern England as it has been the past few times now.

Listened to the first three tracks on the Converge album and really like it. Definitely going to play through the rest today. 

I've tried so many times to like Jane Doe and I just can't, which I find really, really odd for me. I think it's one of those album where it will click for me some time in the near future out of the blue like a lot of things have for me over the past few years. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Listened to the first three tracks on the Converge album and really like it. Definitely going to play through the rest today. 

I've tried so many times to like Jane Doe and I just can't, which I find really, really odd for me. I think it's one of those album where it will click for me some time in the near future out of the blue like a lot of things have for me over the past few years. 

Jane Doe's a damn fine album but I think critics holding that as a high-water mark of their output are doing them a disservice. For me at least, the last two were better and maybe this one over time. But yeah, they're bloody good at what they do.

Edited by dentalplan

On 11/2/2017 at 12:37 PM, dentalplan said:

But 30STM are not selling those arenas as quickly as they were when the tickets were cheaper. Is that right? I don't think an extra few quid on their tickets entitles them to go up a level - particularly given that the fans from their peak era probably don't live off their parents money anymore and can better afford it :lol:. Anyway ticket prices have gone up across the board - recently Weezer tix were about £50 - so I don't see it justifying a headline slot.

Fair point - they're not exactly selling well right now. Is that because of the market we live in? Is it because prices have inflated to put fans off or is it because fans have dropped off in general? Only really know when the album comes out and it impacts, I'm guessing.

That was Weezer for Wembley I'm assuming?

On 11/2/2017 at 12:37 PM, dentalplan said:

Oh man I'm just reading about this for the first time. You're not quite right that it's fan-to-fan but it's "dynamic pricing" on gig tickets, so they can put normal tickets on sale at a much inflated price and then knock them down if nobody wants them (kinda like what they do on GetMeIn anyway) and somehow blame the artist for it? How is this allowed? They really are the enemy of live music (says dentalplan in the Live Nation owned Download Festival forum).

Huh. I did not know that. Thanks very much for the correction! :) 

It's still a ridiculous practice though. (And I think we're probably past the point of contradiction on here haha!)

And as for the likely Saturday replacement - please not Maiden. I love Maiden but definitely don't need to be doing yet another Download.

Edited by DownboundTrain52