Download 2018

Hart Attack

On 10/30/2017 at 5:49 PM, Andre91 said:

It's not going to be Metallica. It's GNR. 

I forgot you have Axl on speed dial.

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Sub or second stage headliner I would guess? 

They are two different positions now you realize?, even luckysalt will tell you 2nd stage is now 3rd/4th down main.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I forgot you have Axl on speed dial.

They are two different positions now you realize?, even luckysalt will tell you 2nd stage is now 3rd/4th down main.

That Gaz humour again. Yawn. 

No shit. Second stage headliner at the least, main stage sub at the most. 

Edited by Andre91

5 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That Gaz humour again. Yawn. 

No shit. Second stage headliner at the least, main stage sub at the most. 

Haha!

Don't change what you mean't because you typed nonsense lol. Whichever way say it, a band doesn't 'cover' 3 places worth, it's one or the other and neither are main stage sub.

• Downvote 1

Bit behind the loop with 30STM, but am I right in thinking they've never headlined a major British festival before?

For me, the best formula for booking a trio of headliners is one returning seasoned veteran, who's been around the headline slots inc. Download before (tried and tested), one accomplished experienced outfit who've headlined elsewhere but not yet your festival (proven unit) and then either a strong, fast-rising band with good sales and appeal who can make their headline debut at the top table - or a repeat of the second option. (Because yes, whilst you do have to blood new headliners, booking two proven options who have never played feels better than two old school veterans, especially after the Slipknot, Rammstein, Maiden returns en masse in 15/16).

Kind of feel Bloodstock have gone this route, since I'd consider Nightwish in the second category - but at the same time, no idea if they have headlined a UK festival on a smaller scale elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, devilman said:

Noooooooooooooooo! Please no more Ozzy. I love him to death but I've seen him too often since 2012. I'd most likely be at the front of main watching though. :)

I think it’s acceptable personally cos of all the different songs that he’s bringing that he’s never played at Download. Should be a bit more loose and fun than Black Sabbath performances.

2 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Bit behind the loop with 30STM, but am I right in thinking they've never headlined a major British festival before?

For me, the best formula for booking a trio of headliners is one returning seasoned veteran, who's been around the headline slots inc. Download before (tried and tested), one accomplished experienced outfit who've headlined elsewhere but not yet your festival (proven unit) and then either a strong, fast-rising band with good sales and appeal who can make their headline debut at the top table - or a repeat of the second option. (Because yes, whilst you do have to blood new headliners, booking two proven options who have never played feels better than two old school veterans, especially after the Slipknot, Rammstein, Maiden returns en masse in 15/16).

Kind of feel Bloodstock have gone this route, since I'd consider Nightwish in the second category - but at the same time, no idea if they have headlined a UK festival on a smaller scale elsewhere. 

They should be focused on promoting new headliners as the rug inches out from below their feet but it doesn’t seem like they are.

wrt 30STM: if they were to ever headline it woulda been 2013. IMO they’re working to keep hold of previous fans nowadays rather than being still on the rise.

47 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think it’s acceptable personally cos of all the different songs that he’s bringing that he’s never played at Download. Should be a bit more loose and fun than Black Sabbath performances.

They should be focused on promoting new headliners as the rug inches out from below their feet but it doesn’t seem like they are.

wrt 30STM: if they were to ever headline it woulda been 2013. IMO they’re working to keep hold of previous fans nowadays rather than being still on the rise.

Agree on the Ozzy front - I wouldn't mind him as the Veteran Option.

There's so many additional factors to consider when looking at the top of the tree now. An easy estimation of interest of currency is the first week sales of a potential new headliner - when A7X got the gig in 14, it came on the back of Hail to the King, which gave them a #1 but on only 21,000 sales. If that's the benchmark as such, then they should really be looking at acts who can match a 25,000 first week. BMTH are the obvious one by that.

But then you have their own live sales. And whilst BMTH for example sold considerably more on touring behind TTS than previous outings, they still failed to get the top tier open at Manchester for example. But you can then argue pricing - tickets for the Arena shows started at £35 plus fees, which seemed a ridiculous hike from what had previously been £25 for Academy shows on the tour's first leg.

In the case of 30STM, their top end tickets are £45 - which is approaching headline prices to be honest. We know about Leto's ego - part of me feels, with this their first album in earnest since he became a superstar acting name again, that it'll be headline or nothing in Europe, especially if Rock am Ring will give them those slots.

Phew, that was a bit of a ramble - sorry chaps!

50 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

In the case of 30STM, their top end tickets are £45 - which is approaching headline prices to be honest. We know about Leto's ego - part of me feels, with this their first album in earnest since he became a superstar acting name again, that it'll be headline or nothing in Europe, especially if Rock am Ring will give them those slots.

What.jpg

6 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

That's Platinum seats, which are Ticketmaster's "fan resale-to-resale" option internally (as well as them owning GetMeIn.)

Ah i see what you mean, I thought "platinum" meant highest level of tickets which entitled you to take home some of Jared Letos toilet paper or something.

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Agree on the Ozzy front - I wouldn't mind him as the Veteran Option.

There's so many additional factors to consider when looking at the top of the tree now. An easy estimation of interest of currency is the first week sales of a potential new headliner - when A7X got the gig in 14, it came on the back of Hail to the King, which gave them a #1 but on only 21,000 sales. If that's the benchmark as such, then they should really be looking at acts who can match a 25,000 first week. BMTH are the obvious one by that.

But then you have their own live sales. And whilst BMTH for example sold considerably more on touring behind TTS than previous outings, they still failed to get the top tier open at Manchester for example. But you can then argue pricing - tickets for the Arena shows started at £35 plus fees, which seemed a ridiculous hike from what had previously been £25 for Academy shows on the tour's first leg.

Phew, that was a bit of a ramble - sorry chaps!

But 30STM are not selling those arenas as quickly as they were when the tickets were cheaper. Is that right? I don't think an extra few quid on their tickets entitles them to go up a level - particularly given that the fans from their peak era probably don't live off their parents money anymore and can better afford it :lol:. Anyway ticket prices have gone up across the board - recently Weezer tix were about £50 - so I don't see it justifying a headline slot.

12 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

That's Platinum seats, which are Ticketmaster's "fan resale-to-resale" option internally (as well as them owning GetMeIn.)

Oh man I'm just reading about this for the first time. You're not quite right that it's fan-to-fan but it's "dynamic pricing" on gig tickets, so they can put normal tickets on sale at a much inflated price and then knock them down if nobody wants them (kinda like what they do on GetMeIn anyway) and somehow blame the artist for it? How is this allowed? They really are the enemy of live music (says dentalplan in the Live Nation owned Download Festival forum).

Edited by dentalplan

23 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Again, you're a strange man. 

So you have no answer to it....what a surprise. Typical forum idiot!

7 hours ago, stalemate9 said:

Apparantly Download Festival Australia lineup has leaked is this legit?

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/korn-limp-bizkit-prophets-rage-download-festival-australia/

Likely....It's the same acts as last or two years ago.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

I think 30 Seconds To Mars are still a big band and possibly rising to headline level, but only really at Reading and Leeds, I think their stock at Download will have dropped massively with their new direction and the reaction to 2013.

I don't see why they would get any bigger. All their new music is absolutely atrocious, and they're once rabid fanbase have surely outgrown them?